Hawk velocity/angle problem

• Thread starter Melchior25
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a hawk flying horizontally at 14.0 m/s, 250 m above the ground, and dropping a mouse before attempting to retrieve it. The diving speed of the hawk is found to be 83.6497 m/s and the time the mouse enjoys free fall is 7.09987 seconds. The angle the hawk makes with the horizontal during its descent is still unknown and was attempted to be solved using the equations h=(.5)gt^2 and vf=vi+at, but the correct answer is still being sought after.
Melchior25

Homework Statement

A hawk is flying horizontally at 14.0 m/s in a straight line, 250 m above the ground. A mouse it has been carrying struggles free from its grasp. The hawk continues on its path at the same speed for 2.00 s before attempting to retrieve its prey. To accomplish the retrieval, it dives in a straight line at constant speed and recaptures the mouse 3.00 m above the ground.

(a) Assuming no air resistance, find the diving speed of the hawk.
m/s
(b) What angle did the hawk make with the horizontal during its descent?
° (below the horizontal)
(c) For how long did the mouse "enjoy" free fall?
s

Homework Equations

h=(.5)gt^2
vf=vi+at

xf=vxi*t

The Attempt at a Solution

for (a) I used h=(.5)gt^2 and solved for t. t=7.09987 s
I then plugged t into vf=vi+at to get a final v of 83.6497m/s diving speed for the hawk. Does this look right?

For (b) I'm lost on where to start. I drew a triangle and have a y height of 247. I also have a 90 degree angle. I don't know however how to solve for the angle.

For (c) I was going to use xf=vxi*t. Knowing my xf already and initial velocity once I figure out the angle from part (b).

Please help. I'm so lost.

Physics news on Phys.org
So I figured out part a and part c but I'm struggling with art b. A is 50.0297 m/s and the time the hawk dove was 5.09987 s. I multiplied these two and got my hyp. I also know my y length. I drew a triangle and thought I calculated theta but my answer is wrong.

Your approach for part (a) is correct. However, there is a mistake in your calculation for t. The correct value for t is 9.8995 s. Using this value, the diving speed of the hawk is 138.659 m/s.

For part (b), we can use the law of cosines to find the angle. The law of cosines states that c^2 = a^2 + b^2 - 2abcosC, where c is the side opposite angle C. In this case, c is the diving speed of the hawk, a is the horizontal velocity of the hawk (14 m/s), and b is the vertical distance traveled by the hawk (250 m - 3 m = 247 m). Solving for C, we get an angle of 81.47 degrees below the horizontal.

For part (c), you can use the equation h=(.5)gt^2 to find the time of free fall for the mouse. Since the initial height is 250 m and the final height is 3 m, we can set up the equation as 3 = (.5)(9.8)t^2. Solving for t, we get a time of 2.18 seconds for the mouse's free fall.

Overall, your approach was on the right track. Just be sure to double check your calculations and use the appropriate equations.

1. What is the Hawk Velocity/Angle Problem?

The Hawk Velocity/Angle Problem is a mathematical problem in which the velocity and angle of a hawk's dive is calculated in order to predict its trajectory and determine the best angle for catching prey.

2. What factors affect the hawk's velocity and angle?

The hawk's velocity and angle are affected by several factors such as its physical capabilities, wind speed and direction, and the weight and speed of its prey.

3. How is the hawk's velocity and angle calculated?

The hawk's velocity and angle can be calculated using mathematical equations that take into account the aforementioned factors. These equations consider the hawk's starting velocity, the downward acceleration due to gravity, and the angle at which it dives.

4. Why is the hawk's velocity and angle important?

The hawk's velocity and angle are important because they determine the success of its hunting strategy. By understanding these factors, scientists can gain insight into the hunting behavior of hawks and potentially apply this knowledge to other areas of study such as aircraft design.

5. How is the Hawk Velocity/Angle Problem relevant to other fields of study?

The Hawk Velocity/Angle Problem has applications in fields such as physics, mathematics, and animal behavior. It can also be used to study and improve upon human activities such as sports and aviation.