Need help veryfing E&M Multiple Choice

Remember, these are just approximations and in real circuits, the resistance of wires should be taken into account. In summary, we have discussed the multiple choice questions regarding an ideal battery and a circuit with varying resistance. We have determined that the current in the circuit can be calculated assuming wires have zero resistance, the voltage drop across the wires will not be the same as that across other elements, and the voltage across other elements will be the same as if the wires had zero resistance. We also discussed a more complex circuit with additional wires and lightbulbs, and determined that wires A, B, and C can be taken to have zero resistance, but the current will still flow
vsage
Need help verifying E&M Multiple Choice

(True/false) (Referring to a diagram that is an ideal battery with wires connecting the positive and negative ends to a resistor in the form of a lightbulb of 30 ohm resistance creating a circuit). I'm also fairly sure the wires resistances are 0.1 ohm
-To a good approximation the current in the circuit can be calculating assuming wires have zero resistance. True?
-To a good approximation the voltage drop across the wires will be the same as that across the other circuit elements. False?
-To a good approximation the voltage across any other element in the circuit will be the same as if the wires actually did have zero resistance. True?

These next ones refer to a circuit like the above except there's a wire (Wire B) that connects from just outside the positive wire (wire A) running into the lightbulb (L2) to just outside the negative wire (Wire C) running into the lightbulb. There's also now a lightbulb(L1) spliced into the positive wire (wire A). Also, assume the wires have a low resistance compared to the lightbulbs.

-To a good approximation, wires A, B and C can all be taken to have zero resistance. True?
-To a good approximation, only wires A and C will carry current and wire B carries almost no current. False?
-To a good approximation, L1 will have a full power supply across it. True?
-To a good approximation, L2 will have the full power supply voltage across it. True?
-To a good approximation, L1 will have 0 current. False?
-To a good approximation, L2 will have 0 current. False?

I'm so confused. These prelab questions made me read ahead in the book but no examples in the book take into account wires with resistance! The book just sort of skips over circuits and goes right into Magnetism.

Edit I only have mspaint to make a drawing in so I don't know if it would help any.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

I am happy to help you verify these multiple choice questions. Let's go through each one and see if we can find the correct answer.

1. True - To a good approximation, the current in the circuit can be calculated assuming the wires have zero resistance. This is because the resistance of the wires is much smaller compared to the resistance of the lightbulb, so it can be neglected in the calculations.

2. False - To a good approximation, the voltage drop across the wires will not be the same as that across the other circuit elements. This is because the wires do have some resistance, even though it is small, so there will be a slight voltage drop across them.

3. True - To a good approximation, the voltage across any other element in the circuit will be the same as if the wires actually did have zero resistance. This is because the voltage drop across the wires is negligible compared to the voltage drop across the other elements in the circuit.

4. True - To a good approximation, wires A, B, and C can all be taken to have zero resistance. This is because the resistance of the wires is much smaller compared to the resistance of the lightbulbs, so it can be neglected in the calculations.

5. False - To a good approximation, only wires A and C will carry current and wire B carries almost no current. This is not true because the current will flow through all three wires, even though wire B may have a smaller current compared to wires A and C.

6. True - To a good approximation, L1 will have a full power supply across it. This is because the resistance of L1 is smaller compared to the resistance of the wires, so it will have the full voltage drop across it.

7. True - To a good approximation, L2 will have the full power supply voltage across it. This is because the resistance of L2 is much larger compared to the resistance of the wires, so it will have the full voltage drop across it.

8. False - To a good approximation, L1 will have 0 current. This is not true because the current will flow through L1, although it may be smaller compared to the current flowing through L2.

9. False - To a good approximation, L2 will have 0 current. This is not true because the current will flow through L2, even though it may be smaller compared to the current flowing through L1.

I hope this

Hello,

I would be happy to help you verify these multiple choice questions. Here are my responses:

1. True - To a good approximation, the current in the circuit can be calculated assuming the wires have zero resistance. This is because the resistance of the wires is very low compared to the resistance of the lightbulb, so it can be neglected in the calculation.

2. False - To a good approximation, the voltage drop across the wires will not be the same as that across the other circuit elements. This is because the wires do have some resistance, so there will be a small voltage drop across them. However, this voltage drop will be very small compared to the voltage drop across the lightbulb, so it can be neglected in the calculation.

3. True - To a good approximation, the voltage across any other element in the circuit will be the same as if the wires actually did have zero resistance. This is because the voltage drop across the wires is very small, so it can be considered negligible in the calculation.

4. True - To a good approximation, wires A, B, and C can all be taken to have zero resistance. This is because the wires have a low resistance compared to the lightbulbs, so their resistance can be neglected in the calculation.

5. False - To a good approximation, only wires A and C will carry current and wire B carries almost no current. This is not true because wire B is connected in parallel with the lightbulb L2, so it will also carry some current.

6. True - To a good approximation, L1 will have a full power supply across it. This is because L1 is connected in series with the power supply and there is no other resistance in the circuit, so the full voltage of the power supply will be across L1.

7. True - To a good approximation, L2 will have the full power supply voltage across it. This is because L2 is connected in series with the power supply and the wires have very low resistance, so the full voltage of the power supply will be across L2.

8. False - To a good approximation, L1 will have 0 current. This is not true because L1 is connected in series with the power supply and there is no other resistance in the circuit, so it will have the same current as the power supply.

9. False - To a good approximation, L2 will have 0 current. This is not true because

Sure, I'd be happy to help verify these multiple choice questions about E&M circuits. Here are my answers:

1. True - To a good approximation, the current in the circuit can be calculated assuming the wires have zero resistance. This is because the resistance of the wires is much smaller than the resistance of the lightbulb, so it can be neglected in the calculations.

2. False - To a good approximation, the voltage drop across the wires will not be the same as that across the other circuit elements. This is because the wires do have a small resistance, so there will be a voltage drop across them, but it will be much smaller than the voltage drop across the lightbulb.

3. True - To a good approximation, the voltage across any other element in the circuit will be the same as if the wires actually did have zero resistance. This is because the voltage drop across the wires is small and can be neglected in the calculations.

4. True - To a good approximation, wires A, B, and C can all be taken to have zero resistance. This is because the resistance of the wires is small compared to the resistance of the lightbulbs, so it can be neglected in the calculations.

5. False - To a good approximation, only wires A and C will carry current and wire B carries almost no current. This is not necessarily true, as the current will flow through the path of least resistance. In this case, wire B may carry some current, but it will be much smaller than the current through wires A and C.

6. True - To a good approximation, L1 will have a full power supply across it. This is because L1 is connected directly to the power supply and has no resistance in its path.

7. True - To a good approximation, L2 will have the full power supply voltage across it. This is because L2 is also connected directly to the power supply and has no resistance in its path.

8. False - To a good approximation, L1 will have 0 current. This is not necessarily true, as L1 is connected directly to the power supply and will have some current flowing through it, although it may be small compared to the current through L2.

9. False - To a good approximation, L2 will have 0 current. This is not necessarily true, as L2 is connected to the power supply through the lightbulb L1. So, there will be some current

1. What does E&M stand for?

E&M stands for electricity and magnetism. It is a branch of physics that deals with the study of electric and magnetic fields, their interactions, and their effects on matter.

2. What is the purpose of multiple choice questions in E&M?

The purpose of multiple choice questions in E&M is to test a person's understanding of the fundamental concepts and principles of electricity and magnetism, as well as their ability to apply them in various scenarios.

3. How can I prepare for an E&M multiple choice exam?

To prepare for an E&M multiple choice exam, it is important to review and understand the key concepts and equations related to electricity and magnetism. Practice solving different types of problems and familiarize yourself with the format of the exam.

4. How do I know if my answers are correct for E&M multiple choice questions?

Most E&M multiple choice questions will have a correct answer indicated by the instructor or on the answer key. It is important to carefully read and follow the instructions for each question to ensure that your answer is correct.

5. Can I use a calculator on an E&M multiple choice exam?

It depends on the specific exam and the instructor's guidelines. Some exams may allow the use of a calculator while others may not. It is important to clarify with your instructor beforehand to avoid any confusion during the exam.