Induced current in a loop of wire when straight wire is cut

In summary, the current in the square loop flows in a counterclockwise direction and the total charge through the loop during the time current flows is negative.
astrocytosis

Homework Statement

A square loop, side a, resistance R, lies a distance s from an infinite straight wire that carries current I (pointing to the right). Now someone cuts the wire, so I drops to zero. In what direction does the induced current in the square loop flow, and what total charge passes through a given point in the loop during the time the current flows?

Homework Equations

$$B_{wire} = \frac{\mu_{0}I}{2\pi r}$$
$$\oint\vec{E} \cdot d\vec{l} = -\frac{\partial}{\partial t} \int \vec{B} \cdot d\vec{a}$$

The Attempt at a Solution

When the wire is cut, the flux is going to decrease, so there must be a current flowing counterclockwise in the loop to oppose the change in flux.

I think I have to use Faraday's law to find out something about the electric field induced in order to get the total charge passing through a given point, but I'm having trouble getting started. The electric field must be circulating around the wire, so it has a curl, but I'm not sure how to find it. Differentiating B with respect to t doesn't make much sense to me either. In general I am confused about the form of the induced electric field.

Physics news on Phys.org
Counterclockwise sounds good

Faraday's law also sounds good. What is Faraday's Law? How is it related to flux? Can you find the flux? In this problem you want to find charge. Can you think of how to relate Faraday's law to charge. Hint: think of the loop.

Faraday's law states that EMF is the negative of the time derivative of the magnetic flux. I can find the flux for the case where there is current flowing through the wire:

$$\Phi = \frac{ \mu_{0} I}{2\pi} \int_{s}^{s+a} \frac{a dr}{r} = \frac{ \mu_{0} I}{2\pi} a ln(\frac{s+a}{s})$$

But it's taking the time derivative of this that confuses me, since the cut occurs instantaneously.

The EMF is related to the current, which is related to the charge, by I = EMF/R → dQ/dt = EMF/R

So I could write

$$\int dQ = \frac{1}{R} \int EMF dt$$

and since

$$ EMF = -\frac{d\Phi}{dt},$$
then
$$\int EMF dt = -\Phi$$

which means I can plug into to my equation for charge to get

$$Q = \frac{1}{R} (-\Phi)$$

So the charge would just be the negative flux over the resistance. Is that right?

Very good!
But you didn't really specify the direction of loop current flow. It's either clockwise or counterclockwise depending on whether the loop sits above or below the wire. Safe way is to go with Lenz's law.

1. How is an induced current created in a loop of wire when a straight wire is cut?

When a straight wire is cut, the magnetic field around the wire collapses. This change in magnetic field induces an electric field in the loop of wire, which then creates an electric current.

2. What factors affect the magnitude of the induced current?

The magnitude of the induced current depends on the strength of the magnetic field, the rate at which the magnetic field changes, and the number of turns in the loop of wire.

3. Why does the induced current only last for a short period of time?

The induced current only lasts for a short period of time because the magnetic field around the wire quickly dissipates once the wire is cut. This means that the change in magnetic field, which is necessary for inducing the current, also quickly diminishes.

4. Can the direction of the induced current be predicted?

Yes, the direction of the induced current can be predicted using Lenz's law. This law states that the direction of the induced current will always oppose the change in magnetic field that caused it.

5. What are some real-world applications of induced current in a loop of wire?

Some examples of real-world applications include electric generators, transformers, and induction cooktops. These devices utilize the principle of induced current to convert mechanical or electrical energy into usable electric energy.