Sum of 4 Vectors: Magnitude & Angle

In summary, the four given vectors, A, B, C, and D, can be added by finding the sum of their x and y components. This sum can be used to find the magnitude and angle of the resulting vector using the Pythagorean theorem and the arctan function. The "k" component is not needed in this calculation.
Kp0684
What is the sum of the following four vectors in (a) unit- vector notation, and as (b) a magnitude and (c) an angle?... A=(2.00m)i + (3.00m)j...B: 4.00m, at +65.0 degrees...C= (-4.00m)i - (6.00m)j...D: 5.00m, at -235 degrees...i understand how to get the magnitude and the angle but how would i set this up... would i start with A and C and find their sum...i believe what's confusing me is B and D...otherwise i know how to set it up...need help...

Physics news on Phys.org
HINT:Write all 4 vectors in component form.

Then simply add the 4 numbers for the "x" component and the 4 numbers for the "y" component.

Daniel.

Kp0684 said:
What is the sum of the following four vectors in (a) unit- vector notation, and as (b) a magnitude and (c) an angle?... A=(2.00m)i + (3.00m)j...B: 4.00m, at +65.0 degrees...C= (-4.00m)i - (6.00m)j...D: 5.00m, at -235 degrees...i understand how to get the magnitude and the angle but how would i set this up... would i start with A and C and find their sum...i believe what's confusing me is B and D...otherwise i know how to set it up...need help...

Here are the formula's you will need to apply.

Given two vectors with components A = (i,j,k) and B = (a,b,c)

magnitude [tex]\sqrt{a^2 + b^2 + c^2}[/tex]
scalar product: A.B = ia + b j + ck
scalar product: A.B = magnitude of A * magnitude of B * cos(t) where t is the angle between the two vectors A and B

sum A+B = (i+a,j+b,k+c) (this is a new vector, the scalar product yields a number)
marlon

okay, i get -2.00i - 3.00j - 1.17k when i sum it up...iam still lost on this one...need help again...

i, j and k represent the 3 directions of the space, for example high, wide and length. The object will be placed this 3 distances in the space from the point you consider as reference

I'm very confused! Where did "k" come from? You original post said
"... A=(2.00m)i + (3.00m)j...B: 4.00m, at +65.0 degrees...C= (-4.00m)i - (6.00m)j...D: 5.00m, at -235 degrees..." with only two dimensions.

I presume that the angles are measured relative to the positive x axis.
B would be 4cos(65)i+ 4sin(65)j and D would be 5cos(-235)i+ 5sin(-235)j

Adding those four vectors does not give you any "k" component.

Of course, once you have found the sum, you find the length by the Pythagorean theorem and the angle is arctan((j component)/(x component)).

What is the definition of a sum of 4 vectors?

A sum of 4 vectors is the result of combining 4 different vectors together in a specific way. It is a mathematical operation that involves adding the magnitudes and directions of each vector to find the overall resultant vector.

How do you calculate the magnitude of a sum of 4 vectors?

To calculate the magnitude of a sum of 4 vectors, you can use the Pythagorean Theorem. First, square each of the vector's magnitudes, then add them together. Finally, take the square root of the sum to find the overall magnitude of the resultant vector.

What is the significance of the angle in a sum of 4 vectors?

The angle in a sum of 4 vectors represents the direction of the resultant vector. It is measured in degrees or radians and can be found using trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, or tangent.

Can the magnitude of a sum of 4 vectors be negative?

No, the magnitude of a sum of 4 vectors is always positive. It represents the length of the resultant vector and cannot be negative.

How does the order of vector addition affect the sum of 4 vectors?

The order of vector addition does not affect the sum of 4 vectors. This is known as the commutative property, which states that changing the order of addition does not change the end result. Therefore, the sum of 4 vectors will be the same regardless of the order in which they are added.