Finding Vector C: Magnitude and Angle Calculation

• Thread starter Koko23
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vector
In summary, the given vectors are Ax=6.3 cos 23; Ay=-6.3 sin 23; Bx= 5.7 cos 34; and By=5.7 sin 34. By calculating the x and y components and using trigonometry, the magnitude of vector C is 7.7 units. The angle of vector C is -20 degrees from the x-axis.
Koko23
Homework Statement
Vector C is given by C=B-A. The magnitude of vector A is 6.3 units and 23 degrees from the y axis in quadrant II. The magnitude of vector B is 5.7 units and 34 degrees from the x axis in quadrant I. What is the magnitude of vector C? What is the angle measured from the x axis to vector C in degrees?
Relevant Equations
Law of Cosine and Sine
Ax=6.3 cos 23; Ay=-6.3 sin 23; Bx= 5.7 cos 34; By=5.7 sin 34. Is this correct to calculate vector C magnitude which I got 7.7 units. Also is vector C in quadrant IV?
I am not sure how to calculate the angle part of this question.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Koko23 and welcome to PF.

How are the quadrants labeled I, II, III and IV, clockwise or counterclockwise? Which component(s) is (are) negative in quadrant II? Make a drawing to guide your thinking and try to draw it to scale as best as you can. Then you will see how to figure out the angle part with some simple trigonometry.

This is the diagram for the problem. I drew the arrow pointing downward since it was vector B - vector A.

Attachments

• 2B4DD0DF-61DE-418F-B00C-0BB17CE89F12.jpeg
    2B4DD0DF-61DE-418F-B00C-0BB17CE89F12.jpeg
    82.1 KB · Views: 660
Determine the x and y components of the vectors you have drawn and add them up (as you've done - more or less). Then you can draw a single right angled triangle in which the Hypotenuse is the resultant and angle (from x-axis) can be determined with simple trig.

Alternatively if you want to use cosine and sine rules, I would suggest you draw your vectors tail to head.

"Ax=6.3 cos 23; Ay=-6.3 sin 23;"

You have Ax and Ay the wrong way round.

Likes FactChecker
Ax=-6.3 sin 23 = -2.46; Ay=6.3 cos 23 = 5.8; Bx=5.7 cos 34 =4.73; By=5.7 sin 34 = 3.19
Sqrt((Bx-Ax)^2 + (By-Ay)^2) = 7.7 units for the magnitude of C.

For the angle measured from the x-axis to vector c, I got -20 which is the angle 20 degrees below the x-axis to vector c using tan.

1. What is the formula for finding the vector C given C=B-A?

The formula for finding the vector C given C=B-A is simply subtracting the vector A from the vector B. This can be represented as C = (Bx-Ax, By-Ay, Bz-Az), where Bx, By, Bz are the x, y, z components of vector B and Ax, Ay, Az are the x, y, z components of vector A.

2. Can you explain the concept of vector subtraction?

Vector subtraction is the process of finding a new vector by subtracting one vector from another. This is done by subtracting the corresponding components of the second vector from the corresponding components of the first vector. The result is a new vector with the same direction, but a different magnitude and possibly a different unit of measurement.

3. How is finding the vector C given C=B-A useful in science?

Finding the vector C given C=B-A is useful in science for many applications, such as in physics, engineering, and geometry. It can be used to find the displacement, velocity, and acceleration of an object, as well as to calculate forces and other physical quantities in a given system.

4. Is it possible to find the vector C given C=B-A if the vectors B and A are not in the same direction?

Yes, it is possible to find the vector C given C=B-A even if the vectors B and A are not in the same direction. This is because vector subtraction takes into account both the direction and magnitude of the vectors, and the resulting vector C will have a different direction and magnitude than both B and A.

5. Are there any other methods for finding the vector C given C=B-A?

Yes, there are other methods for finding the vector C given C=B-A, such as using the parallelogram law or the triangle law. These laws involve constructing a parallelogram or a triangle with the given vectors and finding the resultant vector using trigonometric functions. However, the formula C=B-A is the most commonly used method for finding the vector C in scientific applications.