Calculate Mass of Cylinder Given Tension & Distance

In summary, a light string is wrapped around a solid cylinder and a 300 g mass hangs from the free end of the string. When released, the mass falls a distance of 54 cm in 3.0 seconds. However, without knowing the radius of the cylinder, the mass cannot be determined. The motion of the cylinder depends on its rolling mass, which is always half the actual mass. The radii cancel out in the equation and using the F = ma and τ = Iα equations, we can solve for the mass.
doub

Homework Statement

A light string is wrapped around a solid cylinder and a 300 g mass hangs from the free end of the string, as shown. When released, the mass falls a distance 54 cm in 3.0 s. Calculate the mass of the cylinder?

Homework Equations

not sure

The Attempt at a Solution

I have gotten as far as to determine the Tension on the string of -2.9N. Without known the radius of the cylinder I feel that the mass cannot be determined.

Granted these are study question but if the final is going to be like this...yikes

Physics news on Phys.org
hi doub! :smile:
doub said:
A light string is wrapped around a solid cylinder and a 300 g mass hangs from the free end of the string, as shown. When released, the mass falls a distance 54 cm in 3.0 s. Calculate the mass of the cylinder?

Without known the radius of the cylinder I feel that the mass cannot be determined.

the motion depends on what i call the rolling mass of the cylinder, I/r2, which is always half the actual mass! :wink:

carry on … you should find that the radius cancels out :smile:

The best I can get is

[itex]\alpha[/itex] = (T1 + T2)/I

= (Fr - Tr)/1/2 mr2

= (mra -(ma+mg)r)/ 1/2 mr2

don't see how the radiii cancel each other though

doub said:
[itex]\alpha[/itex] = (T1 + T2)/I

= (Fr - Tr)/1/2 mr2

= (mra -(ma+mg)r)/ 1/2 mr2

sorry, i don't understand any of this :redface:

you should have an F = ma equation and a τ = Iα equation

I would approach this problem by first defining the variables and equations needed to solve for the mass of the cylinder. The equation for tension can be used to determine the force acting on the cylinder, and the equation for acceleration can be used to determine the acceleration of the mass. Once these values are known, the equation for torque can be used to solve for the mass of the cylinder.

The equation for tension is T = mg, where T is the tension, m is the mass of the hanging object, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. In this case, we know that T = -2.9N and m = 0.3 kg. Therefore, we can solve for g, which is equal to -9.8 m/s^2.

The equation for acceleration is a = Δv/Δt, where a is the acceleration, Δv is the change in velocity, and Δt is the change in time. In this case, we know that Δv = 0.54 m/s (since the distance is 54 cm and the time is 3.0 s). Therefore, we can solve for a, which is equal to 0.18 m/s^2.

The equation for torque is τ = Fr, where τ is the torque, F is the force acting on the cylinder (in this case, the tension), and r is the radius of the cylinder. We know that τ = ma = 0.3 kg * 0.18 m/s^2 = 0.054 Nm. We also know that F = -2.9N. Therefore, we can solve for r, which is equal to 0.0186 m.

Now that we know the radius of the cylinder, we can use the formula for the volume of a cylinder (V = πr^2h) to determine the mass of the cylinder. The height (h) is not given in the problem, so we cannot solve for the exact mass of the cylinder. However, we can determine the range of possible masses by assuming different values for the height.

In conclusion, the mass of the cylinder cannot be determined without knowing the height or length of the cylinder. However, we can determine the range of possible masses by using the information we have and assuming different values for the height.

Related to Calculate Mass of Cylinder Given Tension & Distance

1. How do I calculate the mass of a cylinder with given tension and distance?

To calculate the mass of a cylinder, you need to use the formula: mass = (tension x distance) / (gravity x radius). This formula is based on the principle of torque, where the tension and distance represent the force applied to the cylinder, and gravity and radius represent the cylinder's physical properties. By plugging in the values for each variable, you can determine the mass of the cylinder.

2. What is the unit of measurement for the mass of a cylinder?

The unit of measurement for the mass of a cylinder is typically in kilograms (kg). However, depending on the specific measurement system being used, it may also be expressed in grams (g) or pounds (lbs).

3. Can I calculate the mass of a cylinder if I only have the tension and distance in different units?

Yes, you can still calculate the mass of a cylinder if the tension and distance are in different units. However, you will need to convert them to the same unit before plugging them into the formula. For example, if the tension is given in Newtons (N) and the distance is given in centimeters (cm), you will need to convert the tension to dynes (1 N = 100,000 dynes) and the distance to meters (1 cm = 0.01 m) before using the formula.

4. What other factors can affect the mass of a cylinder?

In addition to tension and distance, the mass of a cylinder can also be affected by its material, density, and shape. These factors can vary between different cylinders and can impact the overall mass calculation. Additionally, external forces such as friction and air resistance can also affect the mass of a cylinder in motion.

5. How accurate is the calculation of mass using this formula?

The accuracy of the mass calculation using this formula depends on the accuracy of the input values and the assumptions made in the formula. If the measurements for tension and distance are precise and the cylinder is a perfect shape and density, the calculated mass should be relatively accurate. However, if there is any error or variation in the input values or if the cylinder is not a perfect shape or density, the calculated mass may have some degree of error.