Check that a set is closed, and that another is compact

In summary, the conversation discusses problems with a given exercise involving a normed vector-space (V,||\cdot||). The first problem (a) involves showing that A+C is closed if A is a closed subset of V and C is a compact subset of V, while the second problem (b) involves showing that A+C is compact if both A and C are compact. The conversation then delves into the details of solving these problems, with particular focus on the second problem (b). Ultimately, the conversation ends with a successful solution to the problem.
bobby2k
I have a problem with this excercise. Ironically I think I can manage the part that is supposed to be hardest, here is the problem:

Let [itex](V,||\cdot||)[/itex], be a normed vector-space.

a), Show that if A is a closed subset of V, and C is a compact subset of V, then [itex]A+C=\{a+c| a \in A, c \in C\}[/itex] is closed.

b) Show that if both A and C are compact then A+C is compact.

I think b was ok,so I tried that first: if we have a sequence from A+C: [itex]\{a_n+c_n\}[/itex], then [itex]\{a_n\}[/itex], has a subsequence converging to a, if we look the original sequence but only the indexes from the subsequence converging to a, then of these indexes of the sequence [itex]\{c_n\}[/itex], must have a subsequence converging to c, and since we then have convergence of a subsequence to a+c, we are done?I struggle more with a).

I thought that I could show that if ther is a sequence from A+C converging to a point, then this point must be in A+C. So I start with the sequence [itex]\{a_n+c_n\}[/itex], which I assume converges to b, I must show that b is in A+C.
I get that since C is compact there must be a subsequence so that [itex]\{c_{n_k}\}[/itex], converges to an element c in C. Then using the same indexes [itex]\{a_{n_k}\}[/itex] must converge to b-c. But how do I proceed to show that b is in A+C?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Will the sequence ##(a_{n_k} + c_{n_k})## converge?

micromass said:
Will the sequence ##(a_{n_k} + c_{n_k})## converge?

Yeah, that is a subsequence of the original sequence. And I started with the original sequence converging, and every subsequence of a converging sequence converges.

So you know that ##(a_{n_k})## converges to ##b-c##. What can you conclude from ##A## being closed?

Likes 1 person
micromass said:
So you know that ##(a_{n_k})## converges to ##b-c##. What can you conclude from ##A## being closed?

Yeah I understand, b-c is in A, so (b-c)+c is in A+C.

Thanks!

bobby2k said:
Yeah I understand, b-c is in A, so (b-c)+c is in A+C.

Thanks!

That's it!

Thanks, vector-spaces are a little tricker than metric-spaces.

1. What does it mean for a set to be closed?

A set is considered closed if it contains all its limit points. In other words, any sequence of points within the set that converges must also converge to a point within the set.

2. How can I check if a set is closed?

To check if a set is closed, you can use the closure operation. This involves taking the union of the set with all its limit points. If the result is equal to the set itself, then the set is closed.

3. What is the importance of a set being closed?

A closed set is important in mathematical analysis and topology because it allows for the definition and study of important concepts such as continuity, convergence, and compactness. It also helps to establish the completeness and compactness of a space.

4. What is the definition of compactness?

A set is considered compact if it is both closed and bounded. This means that the set contains all its limit points and can be covered by a finite number of open sets.

5. How can I determine if a set is compact?

To determine if a set is compact, you can use the Heine-Borel theorem, which states that a set in Euclidean space is compact if and only if it is closed and bounded. You can also use other methods such as the sequential compactness or the open cover definition of compactness.