Best books of calculus based physics

In summary, Kleppner is a great book for an intro physics sequence, but for someone who wants a rigorous textbook, Serway-Jewett is better.
nebbione
Hi everyone, I just bought Physics for Scientists and Engineers 8th ed by serway and jewett, is it a good textbook for calculus based physics since I'm a student of physics at university ?
Which is the best calculus based physics textbook ?
I'm a student who wants to master even the proofs and understand the meaning of each integral etc... please give me some advice!

Thank You

Physics news on Phys.org
An Introduction to Mechanics - Kleppner and Kolenkow is a brilliant intro book and supplementing it with Morin's Mechanics book will take you places =D. I haven't heard of the one you mentioned but if it's intro physics for engineers I would place my bets that it is not rigorous and just contains rote calculations.

WannabeNewton said:
An Introduction to Mechanics - Kleppner and Kolenkow is a brilliant intro book and supplementing it with Morin's Mechanics book will take you places =D. I haven't heard of the one you mentioned but if it's intro physics for engineers I would place my bets that it is not rigorous and just contains rote calculations.
Kleppner is a fantastic text.

I did not discover it until after I finished upper division mechanics and it was still a great text.

Thank you very much, anyway this is the book i was talking about, that i just bought, https://www.amazon.com/dp/1439048452/?tag=pfamazon01-20 can you give me a comment?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics For Scientist and Engineers by Serway-Jewet is an Intro book of Physics at level of University Physics by Sears and Zemanasky having very low amount of Exercise questions, One of the same titled book is by Ginacoli having low theory more exercises.
Anyway if you want to go beyond that book then Kleppnar Mechanics + Griffiths Electrodynamics and Krane Modern Phyusics is a great combination.

ok the OP needs to understand that Kleppner is a more advanced book than Serway, Serway is what I use and it is for a non-honors intro physics sequence and it gets the job done.

1. What are the best books for learning calculus-based physics?

The best books for learning calculus-based physics are typically those that are used in university-level courses. Some popular options include "University Physics" by Young and Freedman, "Fundamentals of Physics" by Halliday and Resnick, and "Physics for Scientists and Engineers" by Serway and Jewett.

2. Are there any books specifically geared towards beginners in calculus-based physics?

Yes, there are several books that are designed for beginners in calculus-based physics. Some examples include "Calculus-Based Physics" by Bernard Schutz, "Calculus-Based Physics for Beginners" by Kenneth W. Ford, and "Calculus-Based Physics for Beginners: Mechanics" by Michael J. Moran.

3. What are some key features to look for in a good calculus-based physics book?

A good calculus-based physics book should have clear explanations and examples, as well as a variety of practice problems and exercises. It should also have a comprehensive coverage of the topics, with a logical and organized structure. Visual aids such as diagrams and illustrations can also be helpful for better understanding.

4. Are there any online resources or supplementary materials available for calculus-based physics books?

Yes, many textbooks now have online resources and supplementary materials available. These can include study guides, practice problems, interactive simulations, and video lectures. It's always a good idea to check the publisher's website or the author's website for any additional resources.

5. Can I use older editions of a calculus-based physics book or do I need to get the latest edition?

It is generally recommended to use the latest edition of a calculus-based physics book, as it may contain updated information and improved explanations. However, if you are on a budget, older editions can still be useful as the core concepts and principles of physics remain the same. Just be sure to check with your instructor to see if there are any major differences between the older and newer editions.