Choosing Electives in Physics & Maths

In summary, the conversation is about a person trying to decide on which electives to take for their Comp. Science major. They are considering taking all 3 electives in physics, but are also interested in taking math courses for its computational power. The conversation then shifts to asking for recommendations on the most important physics courses, with the suggestion to also take math classes for future use in CSI. The recommended physics courses are MTH303, MTH401, MTH409, PHY305, PHY407, and PHY431.
heman
i have 3 electives to take and i am not very much convinced which one to take..since i am in Comp. science even then i am preferring to go all the 3 electives in physics but somewhere i feel that i should take maths because that will give computational power...So the list goes as :the list is bit long and i have 3 choices to make::

i want to take optical physics,relativity,and one still undecided..i actually don't like maths but i realize its power ...

PHY224 OPTICAL PHYSICS
PHY305 PHYSICS OF UNIVERSE
PHY315 MODERN PHYSICS LABORATORY
PHY401 CLASSICAL MECHANICS
PHY407 SPECIAL & GENERAL RELATIVITY
PHY421 MATHEMATICAL METHODS I
PHY431 QUANTUM MECHANICS I
PHY441 ELECTRONICS
PHY461 EXPERIMENTAL PHYSICS I
SE311 PHYSICS OF UNIVERSE
SE314 CLASSICAL MECHANICS
SE315 SPECIAL AND GENERAL RELATIVITY
SE332 BASIC ORGANIC CHEMISTRY
SE333 INDUSTRIAL ORGANIC CHEMISTRY
SE334 BIOSYSTEMS
SE335 SYMMETRY IN CHEMISTRY
SE343 FRONTIERS IN INORGANIC CHEMISTRY
SE351 LINEAR ALGEBRA
SE360 MATHEMATICAL METHODS
SE368 PROBABILITY THEORY - I
SE369 FUNCTIONAL ANALYSIS
SE371 FOUNDATION OF SCIENTIFIC COMPUTING
SE421 INTRODUCTION TO MODERN BIOLOGY
MTH301 ANALYSIS - I
MTH303 DATA STRUCTURES
MTH311 PROBABILITY THEORY - I
MTH320 ANALYSIS I
MTH401 THEORY OF COMPUTATION
MTH403 COMPLEX ANALYSIS
MTH405 FUNCTIONAL ANALYSIS
MTH409 COMPUTER PROGRAMMING AND DATA STRUCTURES
MTH413 REAL AND COMPLEX ANALYSIS
MTH415 MATRIX THEORY AND LINEAR ESTIMATION
MTH417 SAMPLING THEORY
MTH421 ORDINARY DIFFERENTIAL EQUATIONS
MTH422 COMPLEX ANALYSIS
MTH423 INTRODUCTION TO CONTINUUM MACHANICS
MTH428 MATHEMATICAL METHODS
MTH432 FUNCTIONAL ANALYSIS
MTH450 ORDINARY DIFFERENTIAL EQUATIONS AND APPLICATIONS
MTH461 INTRODUCTION TO CONTINUUM MECHAICS

Physics news on Phys.org
Can't help you there, but WOW! Where do you get so many electives in India? IIT?

Okay i am modifying my questions..Please answer now according to your experience..

Which 4 physics courses contributed you most ..i mean most important that are indispensable..

if I were you, Id take the math classes. Being in CSI, some adv math will prove useful in the future.

MTH303 DATA STRUCTURES
MTH401 THEORY OF COMPUTATION
MTH409 COMPUTER PROGRAMMING AND DATA STRUCTURES

if you want to go for physics classes (which would of course end up being useless in CSI, but if you enjoy them you can always take em):
PHY305 PHYSICS OF UNIVERSE sounds interesting, though vague
PHY407 SPECIAL & GENERAL RELATIVITY
PHY431 QUANTUM MECHANICS I

Last edited:

1. How do I know which electives to choose in Physics and Maths?

When choosing electives in Physics and Maths, it is important to consider your interests and career goals. Think about which topics you enjoy and which ones align with your future plans. You can also talk to your advisor or other students who have taken the electives to get their recommendations.

2. Are there any prerequisites for specific electives in Physics and Maths?

Yes, there may be prerequisites for certain electives in Physics and Maths. It is important to check the course catalog or talk to your advisor to make sure you have completed any necessary prerequisites before enrolling in an elective.

3. Can I take electives from other departments or schools?

It depends on your university's policies. Some universities allow students to take electives from other departments or schools, while others may have restrictions. It is best to check with your advisor or the department offering the elective to see if this is a possibility.

4. How many electives should I take in Physics and Maths?

The number of electives you should take in Physics and Maths depends on your degree program and university requirements. Some programs may have a set number of electives you must take, while others may give you more flexibility. It is important to check with your advisor to make sure you are meeting all the necessary requirements.

5. Can I change my electives after I have already registered for them?

It depends on your university's policies. Some universities allow students to change their electives during the add/drop period, while others may have stricter guidelines. It is best to check with your advisor or the department offering the elective to see if changes are possible.