State Space Form of Projectile EOM with Air Resistance

In summary, the conversation discusses equations of motion for a projectile with air resistance and the need to convert it into state space form. It is mentioned that state-space form is a first order vector ODE and that the equations of motion can be written in matrix form as well. It is clarified that f(X) in the state-space form is a matrix.
stdtoast
I have equations of motion for a projectile with air resistance: where [tex]q = [x; y][/tex]

[tex]m \ddot{q_1} = -k \dot{q_1}[/tex]
[tex]m \ddot{q_2} = -k \dot{q_2} - mg[/tex]

I need to convert it into state space form, with the state [tex]X = [q; \dot{q}][/tex]. I'm told state-space form is a first order vector ODE: [tex]\dot{X} = [\dot{q}; \ddot{q}] = f(X)[/tex]

Now I'm confused. I can write my equations of motions in matrix form like: [tex]m\ddot{q} = -k \dot{q} - [0; mg][/tex]. Is writing this in state-space form like vectorizing it again? Also, is f(X) a matrix? It's hard for me to figure out the problem without understanding the notation...

Physics news on Phys.org
Nevermind, got it. Was a lot easier than I thought.

What is the state space form of projectile EOM with air resistance?

The state space form of projectile EOM with air resistance is a mathematical model that describes the motion of a projectile, taking into account the effects of air resistance. It represents the position, velocity, and acceleration of the projectile as a function of time, and is often used in engineering and physics applications.

How is air resistance incorporated into the state space form of projectile EOM?

Air resistance is incorporated into the state space form of projectile EOM through the addition of a drag force term in the acceleration equation. This drag force is dependent on the velocity of the projectile and the air density, and is usually modeled using the drag coefficient and cross-sectional area of the projectile.

What are the advantages of using the state space form of projectile EOM with air resistance?

One of the main advantages of using the state space form of projectile EOM with air resistance is that it allows for more accurate predictions of the projectile's motion compared to simpler models that do not take into account air resistance. It also allows for more flexibility in modeling different types of projectiles and varying environmental conditions.

What are the limitations of the state space form of projectile EOM with air resistance?

One limitation of the state space form of projectile EOM with air resistance is that it can be computationally intensive, requiring the use of numerical methods to solve the equations. Additionally, it may not be suitable for all types of projectiles, as it assumes a constant drag coefficient and does not account for other factors such as wind or non-uniform air density.

How is the state space form of projectile EOM with air resistance used in practical applications?

The state space form of projectile EOM with air resistance is used in various practical applications, such as designing projectiles for military or sports purposes, predicting the trajectory of rockets or missiles, and studying the effects of air resistance on different types of projectiles. It is also used in computer simulations and models for training and testing purposes.