Posterior Probability: Solving Questions on Machine Adjustment

• Thread starter anjunabeats
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Probability
In summary: This means that there is a 98.46% chance that the machine was adjusted correctly. In summary, using Bayes' theorem, the new posterior probability that the machine was adjusted properly is 98.46%.
anjunabeats
Have a question that I'm having some difficulties with, wondering if I'm on the right track:

A machine has a 0.9 probability that it is adjusted correctly and a 0.1 probability that it is not adjusted correctly.
When it is properly adjusted, it produces good items 1/2 of the time and bad items the other half of the time.
When it is incorrectly adjusted, it produces good items 1/4 of the time and bad items 3/4 of the time.

a) suppose that five items are produced, 4 of which are good items, 1 of which is a bad item.
What is the P that the machine is correctly adjusted?

I get 96/97 = 98.97%

Workings:

0.9 x 5C4 x 0.5^5
divided by:
(0.9 x 5C4 x 0.5^5) + (0.1 x 5C4 x 0.25^4 x 0.75)

b) Suppose one additional item is produced by the machine at the same time as the other 5 items and is found to be of medium quality. What is the new posterior probability that the machine was adjusted properly?

I'm not sure exactly what is meant by this but I used the same working as the above but replaced with 6C4 instead and got 64/65 = 98.46%

Am I doing something wrong here? Probability is not my strong point!
Thanks for your help and replies.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, you are on the right track. The way to solve this question is to use Bayes' theorem, which states that the posterior probability of an event A given another event B (P(A|B)) is equal to the probability of B given A (P(B|A)) multiplied by the prior probability of A (P(A)) divided by the probability of B (P(B)). In this case, P(A) = 0.9, P(B) = 0.5^5 + 0.25^4 x 0.75, P(B|A) = 0.5^6, and P(A|B) = ?. So, the posterior probability of the machine being adjusted properly given that one item was of medium quality is P(A|B) = (0.9 x 0.5^6) / (0.5^5 + 0.25^4 x 0.75) = 64/65 = 98.46%.

1. What is posterior probability?

Posterior probability is a statistical concept that measures the likelihood of an event occurring after taking into account new information. It is calculated using Bayes' theorem and is used to update the probability of an event based on new evidence.

2. How is posterior probability calculated?

Posterior probability is calculated using Bayes' theorem, which involves multiplying the prior probability of an event by the likelihood of the event occurring given new evidence, and then dividing by the probability of the new evidence occurring. This calculation results in an updated probability, or the posterior probability.

3. What is the difference between prior probability and posterior probability?

Prior probability is the initial probability of an event occurring before new evidence is taken into account. Posterior probability is the updated probability of an event occurring after new evidence is considered. In other words, prior probability is based on existing knowledge, while posterior probability is based on both existing knowledge and new evidence.

4. How is posterior probability used in machine adjustment?

In machine adjustment, posterior probability is used to update the probability of a certain outcome or event occurring based on new data or evidence. This can help fine-tune machine settings or parameters to improve performance or accuracy.

5. Can posterior probability be greater than 1?

No, posterior probability cannot be greater than 1. It represents a probability, which by definition, must fall between 0 and 1. If the calculated posterior probability is greater than 1, it is likely due to a mistake in the calculation or an incorrect assumption in the model.