Capacitors Problem: find potential differences

In summary, a 2290.-nF capacitor is disconnected from a 19.2-V battery and used to charge three uncharged capacitors, a 175.-nF capacitor, a 280.-nF capacitor, and a 375.-nF capacitor, which are connected in series. After charging, the potential difference across each of the four capacitors can be found by using the equation q=cv and understanding that the charge lost by C1 is gained by the series combination of the others. The resulting voltage across C1 is the same as the resulting voltage across the series combination of the others. By setting up a system of equations, the distribution of charge and potential difference across the capacitors can be determined.
hofferry

Homework Statement

The 2290.-nF capacitor is then disconnected from the 19.2-V battery and used to charge three uncharged capacitors, a 175.-nF capacitor, a 280.-nF capacitor, and a 375.-nF capacitor, connected in series.
After charging, what is the potential difference across each of the four capacitors in Volts?

Homework Equations

q=cv

The Attempt at a Solution

Its been said in my homework forum that C1 and C2,3,4 are in parallel. This means that potential difference across them is equal. Thusly, the potential difference of C1 is 19.2V. To find q for C2,3,4, I divided V or 19.2 by (1/C2 + 1/C3 + 1/C4) because V should be v2 + v3 + v4. Then I divided q by each capacitor value for 2,3,4. They added up to 19.2, which I would expect. My answers were wrong. I also tried a method where C1 and C2,3,4 were all in series, and it was still wrong.
I think my problem is that my q values are wrong?
If q, which i have calculated using 19.2*C1, is supposed to be q1+q2, where q1=C1V and q2=C2,3,4V, then it would seem that the V's between the two different equations are different, but that doesn't make sense as they are (supposedly) in parallel.
Help :(

Physics news on Phys.org
C1 is indeed parallel to the C2-C3-C4 combo. The capacitors are also all in series.

Your error is assuming that the voltage across C1 remains 19.2 V. When it's connected to the uncharged capacitors, a current will flow, so the charge on C1 decreases and hence its voltage.

Say an amount of charge q leaves C1. Can you figure out how much charge ends up on C2, C3, and C4?

hofferry said:

Homework Statement

The 2290.-nF capacitor is then disconnected from the 19.2-V battery and used to charge three uncharged capacitors, a 175.-nF capacitor, a 280.-nF capacitor, and a 375.-nF capacitor, connected in series.
After charging, what is the potential difference across each of the four capacitors in Volts?

Homework Equations

q=cv

The Attempt at a Solution

Its been said in my homework forum that C1 and C2,3,4 are in parallel. This means that potential difference across them is equal. Thusly, the potential difference of C1 is 19.2V. To find q for C2,3,4, I divided V or 19.2 by (1/C2 + 1/C3 + 1/C4) because V should be v2 + v3 + v4. Then I divided q by each capacitor value for 2,3,4. They added up to 19.2, which I would expect. My answers were wrong. I also tried a method where C1 and C2,3,4 were all in series, and it was still wrong.
I think my problem is that my q values are wrong?
If q, which i have calculated using 19.2*C1, is supposed to be q1+q2, where q1=C1V and q2=C2,3,4V, then it would seem that the V's between the two different equations are different, but that doesn't make sense as they are (supposedly) in parallel.
Help :(
Hello, hofferry. Welcome to PF !

Adding to what vela said:

The charge lost by C1 is gained by the series combination of the others. The resulting voltage across C1 is the same as the resulting voltage across the series combination of the others.

Up to this point i thought that I had a pretty firm understanding of the material, as I've been able to answer all the other questions, but I guess not. What I'm getting from what youre saying is that V is not 19.2 on C1, but is spread across the other capacitors, which makes sense. How much it is spread across, I've no idea. I assumed that V for C1 = ƩV for C2,C3,C4, which would mean V1 for C1 = 9.6. Therefore 9.6/Ceq = charge on C2,3,4 and their respective potential differences would be that charge(q) value divided by their individual capacitances. My answer was wrong, so I'm assuming V is not halved. How else then is the charge distributed?

Do you have the equivalent capacitance for the C2, C3, and C4 capacitors in series?

Treat them as one capacitor with capacitance C2,3,4, or whatever you like to call it.

Suppose C1 has a charge Q0 when charged to 19.2 Volts. After C1 is connected to C2,3,4, the amount of charge C1 loses is equal to the amount of charge C2,3,4 gains. Let Q be the amount of charge on C1 and q be the amount of charge on C2,3,4[/SUB after they're connected together. Then Q + q = Q0.

How does the potential difference across C1 compare to the potential difference across C2,3,4 when they're connected?

systems of equations for the win. thanks guys

1. What is the purpose of finding potential differences in capacitors?

Finding potential differences in capacitors allows us to determine the amount of energy that can be stored in the capacitor. This information is important in designing circuits and understanding their overall functionality.

2. How do you calculate potential difference in capacitors?

The potential difference in a capacitor can be calculated by dividing the charge on one plate by the capacitance of the capacitor. It can also be calculated by multiplying the capacitance by the electric field strength.

3. What are the units of potential difference in capacitors?

The units of potential difference in capacitors are volts (V) or joules per coulomb (J/C).

4. Can potential difference change in a capacitor?

Yes, the potential difference in a capacitor can change depending on the amount of charge stored on the plates and the capacitance of the capacitor. It can also change over time as the capacitor discharges or charges.

5. How does the distance between the plates affect potential difference in capacitors?

The potential difference in capacitors is directly proportional to the distance between the plates. As the distance increases, the potential difference decreases, and vice versa. This is because the electric field strength decreases with distance, resulting in a decrease in potential difference.