How Do You Calculate Angular Acceleration for a Rotating Beam?

In summary, a uniform beam of mass 0.6 kg and length 0.3 m, rotating about its center, has four forces acting on it (F1 = 1.5 N, F2 = 1.5 N, F3 = 1.5 N, and F4 = 1.5 N) with F2 acting a distance of 0.12 m from the center of mass. The moment of inertia for this beam is 0.03564 kgm^2. The angular acceleration can be found using the equation α = Ʃτ/I, where τ is the sum of all the forces acting on the beam, and I is the moment of inertia.
Bishop556

Homework Statement

A uniform beam of mass m = 0.6 kg and length L = 0.3 m can rotate about an axle through its center. Four forces are acting on it as shown in the figure. Their magnitudes are F1 = 1.5 N, F2 = 1.5 N, F3 = 1.5 N and F4 = 1.5 N. F2 acts a distance d = 0.12 m from the center of mass.

oxnartum.fa1.PNG

What is the angular acceleration?

Homework Equations

I = Ʃmr^2
I = ∫(r^2)dm
α = Ʃτ/I

The Attempt at a Solution

I = (0.6 kg)(0.15 m)^2 +(0.6 kg)(0.12 m)^2 + (.6 kg)(0.15)^2 = 0.03564 kgm^2

Ʃτ = 0.225 + 0.127 = 0.352 Nm

α = 0.352/0.03564 = 9.88 rad/s^2

This is apparently the wrong answer and I don't know where I messed up. [STRIKE][/STRIKE]

Physics news on Phys.org
Bishop556 said:
I = Ʃmr^2
That formula is for an aggregate of point masses. For a continuous distribution of mass through a body, such as a solid bar, you need the integral formula below (or off-the-shelf solutions to it).
I = ∫(r^2)dm

Hi Bishop556! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(try using the X2 button just above the Reply box :wink:)
Bishop556 said:
I = (0.6 kg)(0.15 m)^2 +(0.6 kg)(0.12 m)^2 + (.6 kg)(0.15)^2 = 0.03564 kgm^2

The moment of inertia is a property of the body only

it is completely independent of the forces acting on it, or of their positions. :wink:

Your calculations and equations seem to be correct. However, it is important to double check your units to ensure they are consistent. In this problem, all distances are given in meters, so the moment of inertia should be in units of kgm^2. In your calculation, it appears that you may have accidentally squared the units for the distance, resulting in units of m^4. This could explain the discrepancy in your answer. Also, make sure to check your calculation for the moment of inertia to ensure that all terms are included and correctly calculated.

1. What is moment of inertia?

Moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion. It is a physical property that depends on the mass and distribution of an object's mass around an axis of rotation.

2. How is moment of inertia calculated?

The moment of inertia of an object can be calculated by using the formula I = mr², where I is the moment of inertia, m is the mass of the object, and r is the distance from the axis of rotation to the mass.

3. What is the significance of moment of inertia in physics?

Moment of inertia is an important concept in physics because it helps us understand an object's rotational motion and how it responds to external torques. It is also a key component in equations such as Newton's Second Law of Motion and the Law of Conservation of Angular Momentum.

4. How does moment of inertia differ from mass?

Moment of inertia and mass are two different physical properties of an object. Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object, while moment of inertia is a measure of its resistance to rotational motion. However, the two are related in that an object with a larger mass will generally have a larger moment of inertia.

5. What are some real-life applications of moment of inertia?

Moment of inertia has many practical applications in everyday life. It is used in the design of objects such as wheels, flywheels, and pendulums. It is also important in understanding the stability of objects and structures, such as buildings and bridges. In sports, moment of inertia is a key factor in determining the performance of objects like discus, javelins, and golf clubs.