Moment of Inertia in Planet System

In summary: So it's about 1/3 the mass of the planet at the end.Yes. So it's about 1/3 the mass of the planet at the end.
lc99

Homework Statement

Two planets are masses stuck to end of long thin rods. These model systems (Rod + mass) will be rotated by a motor at their other end of the rod, as shown in the figure. the length of the rod is proportional to the orbital distance of the planet, and the mass at the end is proportional to the mass of the planet. For this problem we focus on the moments of inertia of the Earth and Mars model systems, about the point ofattachment to the motor.

Given:
* Rod is made of material with mass density of 1.0 kg per meter (does this mean that the rod is uniform?)
*The Earth is presented by a rock of mass 1kg, at the end of a 1 meter rod
* The mass of Mars is 0.1 x the mass of earth
*the orbital radius of Mars is 1.5 the radius of earth

1) inerta Earth is 1/4 (approx) of inertia mars
2) inertia Earth is 1/2 mars
3)inertia Earth is 4 times mars
4)inertia Earth is 2 times mars
5)inertia Earth is equal to mars

Homework Equations

Inertia of point masses around orbit = MR^2

The Attempt at a Solution

My answer is 3) Earth's moment of inertia is 4 times the inertia of mars

I ignored the rod because it's light weight
Earth's Moment of Inertia = MR^2 = 1*1^2 =1
Mar's moment of Inertia = MR^2 = 0.1*1*1.5^2=0.225

1/0.225 = approx 4.44
So, Earth is about 4 x mar's moment of inertia

Physics news on Phys.org
Seems reasonable

Gene Naden said:
Seems reasonable
Do you think that it is reasonable to ignore that thin rods? I wasn't sure when i was doing the problem

lc99 said:
I ignored the rod because it's light weight
It is? How does the mass of the rod compare with the mass of the planet in each case?

Well actually, since they specify the density of the rod per unit length, it seems we are supposed to take it into account. So the moment of inertia of the planet plus the rod would include a contribution from the integral of linear density*r^2 for r from 0 to the radius of the planet. Does your physics course include calculus?

Gene Naden said:
Well actually, since they specify the density of the rod per unit length, it seems we are supposed to take it into account. So the moment of inertia of the planet plus the rod would include a contribution from the integral of linear density*r^2 for r from 0 to the radius of the planet. Does your physics course include calculus?
It surely includes formulas for moments of inertia of simple shapes, like thin rods.

haruspex said:
It surely includes formulas for moments of inertia of simple shapes, like thin rods.
Yeah, we have the formula: thin rod about the center is 1/12ML^2. Does this mean my answer is incorrect?

i think with the rod, the answer is B) half

Inertia of Earth = 1/12ML^2 +md^2
inertia of Mars = 1/12ML^2 + md^2

d of Earth = .5
d of Mars = 1.5/2

m of Earth = 1 + 1 =2
m of Mars = 0.1 +1.5

M of Earth = 1
M of Mars = 0.1

L of Earth rod = 1
L of Mars rod = 1.5

Plugging in the numbers, i got 0.49 (M of earth/ M of mars)

Last edited:
lc99 said:
about the center
Right, but the rotation is not about its centre.

haruspex said:
Right, but the rotation is not about its centre.
Oh, it's 1/3 because the axis is at the end

lc99 said:
Oh, it's 1/3 because the axis is at the end
Yes.

1. What is the moment of inertia in a planet system?

The moment of inertia in a planet system is a measure of how difficult it is to change the rotational motion of the system. It takes into account the mass distribution and shape of the planets in the system.

2. How is the moment of inertia calculated in a planet system?

The moment of inertia is calculated by taking the sum of the mass of each planet multiplied by the square of its distance from the axis of rotation. This is also known as the parallel axis theorem.

3. Why is the moment of inertia important in a planet system?

The moment of inertia is important because it affects the rotational stability of the planet system. It determines how much torque is needed to change the rotational motion of the system, which can influence the orbits of the planets and their overall behavior.

4. How does the moment of inertia change in a planet system?

The moment of inertia can change in a planet system if the mass distribution or shape of the planets changes. For example, if a planet's mass increases due to accretion, the moment of inertia will also increase.

5. Can the moment of inertia be altered by external forces in a planet system?

Yes, the moment of inertia can be altered by external forces such as gravitational pull from other planets or celestial bodies. This can cause changes in the rotational motion of the planet system and can affect the overall stability and dynamics of the system.