Uncle Needs Help: Physics Homework Conversion

• Thread starter enovativ
  • Start date
In summary, Uncle Needs Help! His niece asked for help with her physics homework, but he thought she meant physical science homework. He needs help understanding the formulas and problems in order to explain them to her. He also needs to convert her weight of 135 lbs into Newtons, mass, and kilograms. He is unsure if the imperial system can be used for physics. After receiving help from other people, he was able to convert her weight into 61.4 kg and 602 Newtons. He is grateful for the assistance and may continue to seek help in the future.
enovativ
Uncle Needs Help !

My niece came to me for help with your physics homework...but I thought she said Physical Science homework ! So I need help !

Can anyone help ? She has to turn this blasted homework page into school on Tuesday.

I am not trying to do her work for her I am just trying to understand all the forumulas and problems so that I may explain to her.

Please help !

For starters

I am trying to convert her weight : 135 lbs into: Newtons, mass, and kilograms..

Physics news on Phys.org
Does the imperial system works with yards for physics? I need to know this for the conversion of her weight

Last edited:
I do not understand...

...what your are asking ! What is the imperial system.. ?

and I guess I need to convert her weight: 135 lbs into:

Newtons

mass

kilograms

first convert 135lbs into kilos
1kg = 2.2lbs
Weight is measured in Newtons
therfore her mass in kilograms X 9.81 = Weight (in Newtons)
weight=mass times gravity(where weight is in Newtons and gravity is 9.81m/s^2)

mass = 61.4Kg
Weight = 602N

thanks to everyone who answered this post ! I really appreciate it. I am still up (1:53 AM EST) trying to get this done for her but your help has help me move forward tremendously.

Some of this information is quite interesting. You all may very see me even after her homework is done... *smile*

thanks again...

I am sure I will have more questions as soon as I send this post...LOL...so stay turned...

if anyone wants to...hit me up on Yahoo Messenger at: en0vativ

talk to you then.

FAQ: Uncle Needs Help: Physics Homework Conversion

1. What is "Uncle Needs Help: Physics Homework Conversion"?

"Uncle Needs Help: Physics Homework Conversion" is a hypothetical scenario where a student's uncle needs assistance with converting units in a physics homework assignment.

2. Why is unit conversion important in physics?

Unit conversion is important in physics because it allows us to express physical quantities in different units and compare them. It also helps us to easily solve problems involving different units and make accurate measurements.

3. What are some common units used in physics and their conversions?

Some common units used in physics include meters (m) for distance, kilograms (kg) for mass, and seconds (s) for time. These units can be converted into smaller or larger units, such as centimeters (cm) or kilometers (km) for distance, grams (g) or tonnes (t) for mass, and milliseconds (ms) or hours (h) for time, respectively.

4. How do you convert units in physics?

To convert units in physics, you need to know the conversion factor between the two units. The conversion factor is a numerical value that relates the two units. To convert, you multiply the given quantity by the conversion factor, which cancels out the original unit and leaves you with the desired unit.

5. What are some tips for solving unit conversion problems in physics?

Some tips for solving unit conversion problems in physics include writing out the given and desired units, understanding the conversion factor, and making sure the units cancel out correctly. It's also important to pay attention to significant figures and use scientific notation if necessary.

Back