Master Conversions: How to Convert Units for Newtons | Conversions Homework Help

• Thread starter Makali
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses converting units to get a result in Newtons, with the suggested equation being density of water * volume of displaced water * g. It is recommended to convert all units to the SI system and to use the method of multiplying by ones when doing unit conversions.
Makali

Homework Statement

I am trying to figure out how to convert some units to get an end result of Newtons.

Homework Equations

The equation that I need to use is density of water * volume of displaced water * g

The Attempt at a Solution

The density of water is 1g/cm3 * 60mL/cm3 * 9.81 m/s2

How do I convert these in order for the end result to become Newtons?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Convert everything to SI units. That would require some conversions. SI system, is kilograms, meters, seconds and liters.

Once you are done with the calculation, look at the units and convert everything to SI system.

EDIT: I don't think liters is SI, try and convert that to ##m^3##.

Last edited:
To add a bit more, the easiest way of doing unit conversions is to start multiplying by ones. Not to solve your original problem for you, imagine that you want to convert 591 g cm^2/s^2 to Joules, the SI unit for energy. You can do this by multiplying by 1 = (1 J)/(1 kg m^2/s^2) and treating all the units as if they were numbers and group them with the same type of units (i.e., lengths, times, etc). You would find
\begin{align*}
591~\frac{\rm g\, cm^2}{\rm s^2} &= 591~\frac{\rm g\, cm^2}{\rm s^2} \cdot \frac{1~\rm J}{1~\frac{\rm kg\, m^2}{\rm s^2}} \\
&= 591~{\rm J} \cdot \frac{\rm g}{\rm kg} \left(\frac{\rm cm}{\rm m}\right)^2 \\
&= 5.91\cdot 10^2~{\rm J} \cdot 10^{-3} \cdot (10^{-2})^2 \\
&= 5.91 \cdot 10^{-5}~{\rm J}.
\end{align*}
We have here also used that 1 cm = 0.01 m and that 1 g = 0.001 kg. You can do a similar thing with your unit conversion.

Likes lekh2003

1. How do I convert units for Newtons?

To convert units for Newtons, you can use the formula F = m x a, where F is the force in Newtons, m is the mass in kilograms, and a is the acceleration in meters per second squared.

2. What are some common units used for Newtons?

Some common units used for Newtons include kilograms (kg) for mass, meters per second squared (m/s²) for acceleration, and meters (m) for distance.

3. Can I use conversion calculators for converting units for Newtons?

Yes, there are many online conversion calculators that can help you convert units for Newtons. However, it is important to understand the formula and process for conversion so that you can double check the accuracy of the calculator's results.

4. How do I convert between metric and imperial units for Newtons?

To convert between metric and imperial units for Newtons, you can use conversion factors. For example, 1 kilogram (kg) is equal to 2.20462 pounds (lb), and 1 meter (m) is equal to 3.28084 feet (ft). You can use these conversion factors to convert between the units.

5. Are there any tips for remembering the conversion formula for Newtons?

A helpful tip for remembering the conversion formula for Newtons is to understand the units involved in the formula. F stands for force, which is measured in Newtons (N). m stands for mass, which is measured in kilograms (kg). a stands for acceleration, which is measured in meters per second squared (m/s²). Remembering these units can help you easily recall the formula F = m x a.