Need help in finding COM of a hollow hemisphere

In summary, the student tries to calculate the COM of a hemisphere, but is unable to find the correct answer. He is then helped by a tutor who explains that integration is used to find the correct answer.
navneet9431
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Hey everyone,
I'm studying for my physics and came across a question for the COM of a hemisphere.I made my attempt to calculate the COM.

Homework Equations

cmp3.gif

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to calculate the y coordinate of COM this way,please go through it-
IMG_20180819_180220.jpg

But,I am unable to reach the correct result.Please help me to proceed further!
I will be thankful for any help.

Attachments

• cmp3.gif
    cmp3.gif
    5 KB · Views: 672
  • IMG_20180819_180220.jpg
    IMG_20180819_180220.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 389
Physics news on Phys.org
##dy## in your drawing is not actually ##dy##. ##dy## would be a vertical line. That angled line ##ds## is longer, do you see that? Use ##\theta## to find its length. Then I think you'll get it.

verty said:
##dy## in your drawing is not actually ##dy##. ##dy## would be a vertical line. That angled line ##ds## is longer, do you see that? Use ##\theta## to find its length. Then I think you'll get it.
Thanks but I can see how dy is a vertical line!
Can you send a rough diagram showing that?

navneet9431 said:
Thanks but I can see how dy is a vertical line!
Can you send a rough diagram showing that?

##dy## is the thickness of the disc. ##ds## is the length of the edge. Do you understand?

Likes navneet9431
verty said:
##dy## is the thickness of the disc. ##ds## is the length of the edge. Do you understand?
Ok!
So what should I use for calculating the area of the element?
Should I use dy?

navneet9431 said:
Ok!
So what should I use for calculating the area of the element?
Should I use dy?

This should be in your book at some point. It'll explain why it works that way. But you need to use ##ds## or it won't give you the right answer.

Likes navneet9431
verty said:
This should be in your book at some point. It'll explain why it works that way. But you need to use ##ds## or it won't give you the right answer.
This is the main problem!
My textbook nowhere explains why it works that way.
Can I get a bit of expalantion about why it works that way?

navneet9431 said:
This is the main problem!
My textbook nowhere explains why it works that way.
Can I get a bit of expalantion about why it works that way?

Do you need a better book? It's not my policy to explain what a book could explain better anyway. Sorry.

Last edited:
IMG_20180820_012419.jpg

See the image.
These are the horizontal slices of the element ds as shown in the pic.
I think I have made the diagram correct as dy is the horizontal thickness and ds is the thickness of the edge.
So,if we see logically then it would be incorrect to calculate the area of the element this way, area of the element= 2*pi*y*cot(theta)*d(s) as the thickness of edge of each slice of the element marked on the hemisphere is different.
So calculating the area of the element this way must be wrong,Am I correct?

Attachments

• IMG_20180820_011950.jpg
    IMG_20180820_011950.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 345
  • IMG_20180820_012419.jpg
    IMG_20180820_012419.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 248
navneet9431 said:
2*pi*y*cot(theta)*d(s)
I think you mean 2πx (the radius is horizontal in the diagram) and it should not be cot. ds is the hypotenuse.

1. How do I calculate the center of mass of a hollow hemisphere?

The center of mass (COM) of a hollow hemisphere can be calculated by finding the weighted average of all the mass points within the hemisphere. This can be done by dividing the hemisphere into smaller sections and finding the COM of each section, then combining them using the formula for finding the COM of a composite object.

2. What is the formula for finding the center of mass of a hollow hemisphere?

The formula for finding the center of mass of a hollow hemisphere is: COM = (M₁x₁ + M₂x₂ + ... + Mᵢxᵢ) / (M₁ + M₂ + ... + Mᵢ), where M is the mass of each section and x is the distance from the center of mass of each section to the overall center of mass.

3. What information do I need to find the center of mass of a hollow hemisphere?

To find the center of mass of a hollow hemisphere, you will need to know the dimensions and mass of each section, as well as the shape and density of the material. It is also helpful to have a diagram or visual representation of the hemisphere to aid in the calculation.

4. Can the center of mass of a hollow hemisphere be located outside of the object?

Yes, the center of mass of a hollow hemisphere can be located outside of the object. This is because the center of mass is calculated based on the distribution of mass within the object, and can be influenced by factors such as the shape and density of the material.

5. How can I use the center of mass of a hollow hemisphere in real-world applications?

The center of mass of a hollow hemisphere can be used in various engineering and design applications, such as determining the stability and balance of objects, calculating the trajectory of objects in motion, and designing structures or vehicles with optimal weight distribution. It can also be used in physics and astronomy to understand the motion and behavior of celestial bodies.