Simulation of the sun's effect on temperature change on the ground surface

In summary, The conversation discusses the simulation of temperature change over time for the ground, specifically focusing on an asphalt patch of 10 square meters in area. The ambient temperature of the ground is assumed to be 20 degrees Celsius and it is also assumed that the sun is directly overhead. The conversation then delves into the calculation of the asphalt's temperature at a specific time, taking into account the sun's radiant intensity of 250 W/m^2. However, it is noted that this value may not be accurate since it is an average and does not account for the sun being directly overhead. The conversation ends with the suggestion to consider the difference in radiation between the asphalt and black body radiation.
hersh37
Hi,

I am working on simulating the change in temperature over time for the ground, given different material types. For instance, I'm considering an asphalt patch of ground say 10 square meters in area. For now, I'm willing to ignore atmospheric effects like rain, wind, and varying sun angle. I assume for now that the sun is directly overhead.

If the ambient temperature of above the ground is 20 degrees Celsius, and I assume the asphalt is in thermal equilibrium with the environment at time t=0, then it is also at 20 degrees Celsius. How would I go about determining the aspalt's new temperature at time t=1?

I'm probably missing something, but I see that the radiant energy from the sun will act on the asphalt patch, and excite its molecules, which will cause it to rise in temperature, however is there a way to calculate how much (even approximate)?

According to sources the sun's radiant intensity at the Earth surface can be approximated to about 250 W/m^2. For the 10 square meter aspalt surface, this would be 2500 W then. If I use this is as the value of [tex]\Delta[/tex] Q in the equation [tex]\Delta[/tex] Q = c [tex]\Delta[/tex]T, with c=0.93 for aspalt, this gives me an unbelievably high value for the change in temperature.

I know I'm doing something wrong here. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks :)

Science news on Phys.org
The asphalt is going to radiate the thermal energy. You will want to know how much its radiation differs than black body radiation.

hersh37 said:
Hi,

According to sources the sun's radiant intensity at the Earth surface can be approximated to about 250 W/m^2.

This is an average of the irradiaton over the whole globe, including the night side and places where the sun is far from the zenith.

With the sun directly overhead, it's 4 times as high. This is because the Earth only catches
the sunlight in a disk with an aria of [itex] pi R^2 [/itex] where R is the radius of
the earth, but the surface of the Earth is [itex] 4 pi R^2 [/itex], so the average is only
(1/4) of the maximum

1. How does the sun's radiation affect the temperature change on the ground surface?

The sun's radiation is the primary source of heat for the Earth's surface. When the sun's rays hit the ground, they transfer their energy in the form of heat. This leads to an increase in temperature on the ground surface.

2. What factors influence the sun's effect on temperature change on the ground surface?

Several factors can influence the sun's effect on temperature change on the ground surface, including the angle of incidence of the sun's rays, the duration of exposure, the reflectivity of the surface, and the presence of clouds or other atmospheric conditions.

3. How does the sun's effect on temperature change on the ground surface vary throughout the day?

The sun's effect on temperature change on the ground surface varies throughout the day due to changes in the angle of incidence and duration of exposure. Typically, temperatures are highest in the afternoon when the sun is at its highest point in the sky and have the most direct impact on the ground surface.

4. Can simulations accurately predict the sun's effect on temperature change on the ground surface?

Simulations can provide a good estimation of the sun's effect on temperature change on the ground surface. However, they may not account for all factors that can influence temperature, such as local topography or microclimate. Additionally, the accuracy of the simulation will depend on the accuracy of the data and assumptions used in the model.

5. How does the sun's effect on temperature change on the ground surface impact climate change?

The sun's effect on temperature change on the ground surface is a crucial component of the Earth's climate system. Changes in solar radiation can contribute to changes in global temperatures and climate patterns. Understanding and accurately simulating this effect is crucial in predicting and mitigating the impacts of climate change.