Temperature and Sound Wave Velocity: Exploring the Proportional Relationship

In summary: For acoustic waves in air, the speed of sound increases by about 0.6 m/s for every 1 Kelvin increase in temperature. This increase is due to the fact that v is proportional to the square of T (the temperature), and is smaller at higher temperatures because the energy in the sound waves is spread out over a larger range.
TP9109
Apologies if this is a question with a basic answer, I'm coming back to physics after many years of being away from it! I read somewhere that for longitudinal sound waves traveling through air, if the temperature increases by 1 degree celsius then the velocity of the wave will increase y 0.6 m/s. They back this up by saying it is because v is proportional to sqrt of T, T in Kelvin. I don't understand this as if you square root the temp at 70 degrees and then square root the temp at 71 degrees, the difference between the two resulting numbers will be smaller than if the two temps were lower numbers e.g 30 and 31. So how can going from 70 to 71 degrees increase the velocity by the same amount as going from 30 to 31 as there is a square root involved giving smaller differences at changes in higher temperature values and larger differences between changes in lower temp values, so how can they say that the velocity increases by 0.6 m/s per degree regardless of whether a small or large temperature is involved?
Thanks for any help

Science news on Phys.org
TP9109 said:
Apologies if this is a question with a basic answer, I'm coming back to physics after many years of being away from it! I read somewhere that for longitudinal sound waves traveling through air, if the temperature increases by 1 degree celsius then the velocity of the wave will increase y 0.6 m/s. They back this up by saying it is because v is proportional to sqrt of T, T in Kelvin. I don't understand this as if you square root the temp at 70 degrees and then square root the temp at 71 degrees, the difference between the two resulting numbers will be smaller than if the two temps were lower numbers e.g 30 and 31. So how can going from 70 to 71 degrees increase the velocity by the same amount as going from 30 to 31 as there is a square root involved giving smaller differences at changes in higher temperature values and larger differences between changes in lower temp values, so how can they say that the velocity increases by 0.6 m/s per degree regardless of whether a small or large temperature is involved?
Thanks for any help
It's an approximation that is valid only for a range of temperatures:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_of_sound#Practical_formula_for_dry_air
Sound.jpg

Likes TP9109, sophiecentaur, etotheipi and 1 other person
I missed that part of the wiki page when I was googling answers, thanks for that it makes sense now

Likes russ_watters, berkeman and sophiecentaur

1. What is the relationship between temperature and sound wave velocity?

The relationship between temperature and sound wave velocity is that as temperature increases, the speed of sound also increases. This is due to the fact that sound waves travel faster through warmer air, as the molecules are moving more quickly and can transmit the sound energy more efficiently.

2. How does temperature affect the speed of sound?

Temperature affects the speed of sound by changing the density and elasticity of the medium through which the sound waves travel. As temperature increases, the molecules in the medium vibrate more rapidly, causing the sound waves to travel faster.

3. Is there a specific equation that represents the proportional relationship between temperature and sound wave velocity?

Yes, the equation that represents the proportional relationship between temperature and sound wave velocity is v = √(γRT), where v is the velocity of sound, γ is the adiabatic constant, R is the gas constant, and T is the temperature in Kelvin.

4. How do scientists measure the speed of sound at different temperatures?

Scientists measure the speed of sound at different temperatures by using specialized equipment, such as a sound level meter or an oscilloscope. These devices measure the time it takes for a sound wave to travel a known distance, and then calculate the speed of sound using the equation v = d/t.

5. Can the relationship between temperature and sound wave velocity be applied to all mediums?

No, the relationship between temperature and sound wave velocity is specific to gases, as the molecules in a gas are able to move freely and transmit sound energy. In solids and liquids, the speed of sound is affected by other factors such as density and elasticity, rather than just temperature.