Angular momentum conservation, mass striking a rotating rod

In summary, the conversation discusses an experiment that initially seemed to violate energy conservation, but upon further examination, it was found that angular momentum and energy are in fact conserved. The experiment involves a mass striking a rod, and it was determined that the mass must hit the rod at a distance of 2/3 of the rod's length from the pivot in order to completely stop. The conversation also touches on the fact that this result is independent of the mass's initial velocity. However, a mistake was made in the calculation and the correct distance is actually 1/3 of the rod's length. Therefore, the mass must strike the rod closer to the pivot in order to completely stop.
benjum
I recently ran across an experiment which I needed to explain because it appeared to violate energy conservation. After looking over it further, I became interested for a slightly different reason, but first I'll present the idea.

The experiment involves a mass $0.75 m$ striking a rod which is lying flat and pivoted in the center, the rod having a mass $m$ and total length $2r$. As the rod is pivoted, linear momentum is not taken to be conserved, but angular momentum and energy are conserved. As such, I would expect that the point at which the mass must strike the lever so as to exactly stop and transfer all of its energy to the lever could be calculated using (m for striking mass, r for rod):

[tex]m_{m}r^{2}_{m}\omega_{m} = \frac{1}{3}m_{r}r_{r}^{2}\omega_{r}[/tex] and [tex]\frac{1}{2}m_{m}r^{2}_{m}\omega_{m}^{2} = \frac{1}{6}m_{r}r_{r}^{2}\omega_{r}^{2}[/tex]

On solving, this yields [itex]r_{m} = \frac{2}{3}r_{r}[/itex] for the $0.75 m$ mass, or equivalently, the mass must strike the rod 2/3 r from the pivot in order to stop completely when colliding.

First, this result seems interesting to me because it implies that no matter how fast this mass is traveling, it will completely stop as long as it hits the rod at this distance from the pivot. Is it generally true that for a given mass striking a rod in such a manner, it is only the distance from the center which matters and not the velocity?

Secondly (perhaps related), is this reasoning false? The experiment claims that the mass stops perfectly when it strikes the lever at a distance 0.40r from the pivot, rather than at 2/3 r, which was why it claimed that energy was not conserved.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
benjum said:
Is it generally true that for a given mass striking a rod in such a manner, it is only the distance from the center which matters and not the velocity?
It is generally true that if a mass moving with speed ##v_0## collides elastically with an equal mass at rest, the moving mass will stop and the target mass will move with speed ##v_0## regardless of the value of ##v_0##. Here you have the rotational equivalent of that, in a sense.

You have made a mistake in that the moment of inertia of a rod pivoted about its center is ##I_{cm}=\frac{1}{12}mL^2##, where ##L## is the length of the rod. If you use that, you should get the correct answer which is ##r=\frac{1}{3}L## not ##0.40~L##. You could have seen that your answer was incorrect because the rod extends only up to distance ##\frac{1}{2}L## on either side of the pivot so ##r=\frac{2}{3}L## means that the mass misses the rod.

1. What is angular momentum conservation?

Angular momentum conservation is a fundamental law of physics that states that the total angular momentum of a system remains constant unless acted upon by an external torque. This means that in a closed system, the angular momentum cannot be created or destroyed, it can only be transferred from one object to another.

2. How is angular momentum calculated?

Angular momentum (L) is calculated by multiplying the moment of inertia (I) of an object by its angular velocity (ω). This can be expressed as L = Iω. The moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion and depends on its mass, shape, and distribution of mass.

3. What happens to angular momentum when a mass strikes a rotating rod?

When a mass strikes a rotating rod, the total angular momentum of the system remains constant. However, the distribution of angular momentum may change as some of the initial angular momentum of the mass is transferred to the rod. This change in distribution can cause the rod to rotate at a different speed or direction.

4. How does the conservation of angular momentum apply to everyday objects?

The conservation of angular momentum applies to everyday objects in the same way it applies to larger systems. For example, when a figure skater pulls their arms in while spinning, their moment of inertia decreases, causing an increase in their angular velocity to maintain the same angular momentum. This can also be seen in objects like tops, gyroscopes, and even planets orbiting around a star.

5. Can angular momentum be violated?

No, angular momentum cannot be violated. It is a fundamental law of physics that has been observed and tested in countless experiments. Any changes in angular momentum can be explained by the transfer of angular momentum within a closed system, but the total amount of angular momentum will always remain constant.