Finite Groups and Three Dimensional Pseudo Real Representations: An Exploration

In summary, there is no three dimensional pseudoreal representation for a finite group with a pseudo real representation.
rkrsnan
Can you please give an example for a finite group with a three dimensional pseudo real representation? I can find examples of finite groups with 2, 6 and 8 dimensional pseudo real representations, but couldn't find any with a three dimensional pseudo real rep. Is there some theorem that states that it doesn't exist? Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean by a "pseudo" real representation?

My apologies for the confusing terminology. What I meant was a complex representation which has real characters. It is also called a quaternionic representation. I also understand that for a pseudo real representation the Frobenius–Schur indicator will be -1. From wikipedia: "It is −1 exactly when the irreducible representation has a skew symmetric invariant bilinear form. These are the representations whose character is real but that cannot be defined over the reals."

I am guessing that we can not make a skew symmetric invariant bilinear form using three dimensional vectors. That explains why I can't find a three dimensional pseudoreal representation.

Careful - notice that the result you quoted about the Frobenius-Schur indicator applies only to irreducible representations. Are you only interested in these? If this is the case, then your guess that there is no nondegenerate skew symmetric bilinear form on a 3-dimensional vector space is correct and answers your question. Indeed, it's not too hard to show that if a finite-dimensional vector space V admits a nondegenerate skew symmetric bilinear form, then dimV must be even.

One piece of the puzzle remains: you have to also show that the form you get from F-S is nondegenerate. This follows from the invariance of the form and the irreducibility of the representation.

If you need any help filling out any of the details, be sure to post back.

Yes, I am only concerned with irreducible representations. I didn't know about the subtlety of the degenerate/nondegenerate bilinear forms though. Thanks very much for the reply and the help.

What is "Pseudo real representation"?

"Pseudo real representation" is a term used in mathematics and physics to describe a representation of a mathematical object or physical system that is not exactly real, but behaves similarly to a real representation under certain conditions.

How is "Pseudo real representation" different from a real representation?

Pseudo real representations differ from real representations in that they are not exact representations of the object or system they are describing. Instead, they may exhibit certain properties or behaviors that are similar to those of a real representation, but they may also deviate in some ways.

What are some examples of "Pseudo real representation"?

One example of pseudo real representation is the use of complex numbers in physics to represent real physical quantities. While these numbers are not physically real, they can be used to accurately describe and predict real-world phenomena.

Another example is the representation of quantum states in quantum mechanics. These states are not physically real, but they can be described using mathematical equations that behave similarly to real physical states.

Why is "Pseudo real representation" important in science?

Pseudo real representation is important in science because it allows us to describe and understand complex systems and phenomena that may not have exact real-world representations. It also allows us to make predictions and calculations that would not be possible using only real representations.

What are the limitations of "Pseudo real representation"?

One limitation of pseudo real representation is that it may not accurately describe all aspects of a system or phenomenon, as it is not an exact representation. Additionally, some calculations and predictions made using pseudo real representations may be less precise or reliable than those made using real representations.