Change in indicating threads with new posts

• Thread starter jtbell
  • Start date
In summary, the new system makes it harder to miss new posts because the software highlights the titles of threads that have new posts since the last time the user visited any forum.
jtbell
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Before the server moved, in each forum the software highlighted (in bold face) the titles of threads that had new posts since the last time I visited that particular forum. For example, if I visited the Relativity forum on Wednesday, and then again on Friday, the threads with new posts since Wednesday were highlighted, even though I visited the Quantum Physics forum on Thursday.

Now, it appears that in each forum the software highlights the titles of threads that have new posts since the last time I visited any forum on PF. That is, in the example above, in the Relativity forum only threads with new posts since Thursday are highlighted, even though I last visited that forum on Wednesday.

Under the new system, it's easier to miss new posts. Is there any way to change it back to the way it was before?

Physics news on Phys.org
hmmm no settings were changed during the move and it works like it used to for me. anyone else having troubles?

jtbell said:
Now, it appears that in each forum the software highlights the titles of threads that have new posts since the last time I visited any forum on PF. That is, in the example above, in the Relativity forum only threads with new posts since Thursday are highlighted, even though I last visited that forum on Wednesday.

I could be wrong, but I think that this is the way it always worked for me.

Yeah, it's always worked that way for me. It would be nice if it worked the other way around, because at home, I have PF set as my homepage, and just opening my browser to go to another site changes everything to "viewed" just from the brief moment it spends at PF until I get to the other site (I know, I know, it's my fault for checking out another website before I check out PF :rolleyes:).

Maybe I was mistaken about the way it worked before. I use another vBulletin based site regularly, and it works the way PF does now. But I clearly remember thinking, well before PF moved, that it would be nice if the other site worked the same way PF did (at that time)!

Maybe I've simply tended to read the same set of forums regularly here, whereas at the other site I read some forums on one visit, and other forums on the next visit. And somehow I've started to change my habits here so they're more like at the other site.

Related to Change in indicating threads with new posts

1. What are indicating threads with new posts?

Indicating threads with new posts are a feature on online forums or discussion boards that help users easily identify which discussions have new activity since their last visit. This is often denoted by a small icon or colored indicator next to the thread's title.

2. How do indicating threads with new posts work?

Indicating threads with new posts work by tracking the last time a user visited the forum or discussion board. When they return, any threads that have new activity since their last visit will be marked with an indicator, making it easier for them to find and read the new posts.

3. Can I customize the indicator for new posts on my forum?

Yes, many forum platforms allow for customization of the indicator for new posts. This can include changing the color, shape, or size of the indicator, as well as choosing when and how it appears on the thread list.

4. Are indicating threads with new posts a useful feature?

Yes, indicating threads with new posts can be a very useful feature for both forum users and moderators. It helps users stay up-to-date on discussions they are interested in, and also encourages them to participate in active discussions. For moderators, it can also help them monitor and manage the activity on their forum more efficiently.

5. Are there any drawbacks to indicating threads with new posts?

While indicating threads with new posts can be a helpful feature, it may also lead to information overload for some users. With so many threads marked as having new posts, it may be overwhelming for some users to keep track of and catch up on all the new activity. Additionally, if the feature is not properly implemented or maintained, it may not accurately mark threads with new posts, causing confusion for users.