Alerts popup shows unread new posts as read

• Bug
  • Thread starter hmmm27
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses an issue with unread posts in a thread-of-interest and how the lettering should be in bold but it isn't. The speaker suggests a solution by opening the My PF menu and selecting Preferences to tick a specific option. Another participant confirms that it partially worked, as the text is no longer bolded but the new posts now say "Mark read" instead of "Mark unread."
hmmm27
Gold Member
As opposed to "unread", which is what new posts in a thread-of-interest should be.

Just wondering if I'm the only one experiencing this (in which case it's on my end), or not.

The pain-in-the-ass bit is that - even though I still get the flag on the page - I have to squint to read how many posts there are, and then count them up as I'm reading them, ie: the lettering should be in bold, but it isn't.

(I posted the same query a few months ago ; changed the wording a bit on this one, so you know what I'm talking about)

Physics news on Phys.org
Open the My PF menu and select Preferences. Tick "Alerts pop-up skips mark read" and it shouldn't happen any more.

Likes hmmm27
Worked partially : the text isn't bolded, but the new ones now say "Mark read" at the bottom instead of "Mark unread". Thanks

1. What is an alerts popup?

An alerts popup is a small window that appears on your screen to notify you of new information or updates. It typically appears in the corner of your screen and can be triggered by various events such as receiving a new email or a new post on a website.

2. Why is the alerts popup showing unread new posts as read?

This could be due to a technical issue with the website or browser you are using. It could also be caused by a setting or extension that is automatically marking the posts as read. Clearing your browser's cache or disabling any relevant extensions may help resolve this issue.

3. Can I change the settings for the alerts popup?

Yes, you can usually customize the settings for the alerts popup. This may include changing the appearance, frequency, or types of notifications that appear. Check the settings menu of your browser or the website to see if there are options to adjust the alerts popup.

4. How can I prevent the alerts popup from showing unread new posts as read?

If you are experiencing this issue, you can try disabling any relevant extensions or clearing your browser's cache. You can also try using a different browser or device to see if the issue persists. If the problem continues, you may need to contact the website's technical support team for further assistance.

5. Is the alerts popup a reliable way to stay updated on new posts?

The reliability of the alerts popup may vary depending on the website or browser you are using. In some cases, the popup may not appear or may not show all new posts. It is always a good idea to also manually check the website for any updates to ensure you do not miss any important information.