How to Solve Calculus Word Problems Involving Rockets and Velocity?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving two rockets, A and B, being launched upward from an initial height of 0 feet at time t=0 seconds. The velocity of rocket A is recorded for selected values of t over the interval 0<(or = to)t<(or = to)80 seconds and the problem asks to find the average acceleration of rocket A and explain the meaning of "the integral of 10 to 70 of v(t)dt" in terms of the rocket's flight. It also introduces a second rocket, B, with a different acceleration function and asks which rocket is traveling faster at time t=80 seconds.
jimjimmonk
hey guys, can anyone here help me with this problem?
"Rocket A has positive velocity v(t) after being launched upward from an initial height of 0 feet at t=0 seconds. The velocity of the rocket is recorded for selected values of t over the interval 0 <(or = to) t <(or = to) 80 seconds, as shown in the table below.

t (seconds) 0 10 20 30 40 50 60 70 80
v(t) ft/sec 5 14 22 29 35 40 44 47 49

a) Find the average acceleration of rocket A over the time interval 0 <(or = to) t <(or = to) 80 . Indicate units of measure.

b) using correct units, explain the meaning of "the integral of 10 to 70 of v(t)dt" in terms of the rocket's flight. Use a midpoint Riemann sum with 3 subintervals of equal length to approximate "the integral of 10 to 70 of v(t)dt".

c) Rocket B is launched upward with an acceleration of a(t) = 3/sq root(t + 1) feet per second per second. At time t = 0 seconds, the initial height of the rocket is 0 feet, and the initial velocity is 2 ft / second. Which of the 2 rockets is traveling faster at time t = 80 seconds? explain your answer."

I got this problem in class a few days ago and had the whole period to work on it but I was only able to figure out part a:
((ending velocity)-(initial velocity))/(time passed)=((49)-(5))/(80)=(44)/(80)=11/20

Part B completely confuses me so that would be a huge help if someone could help me with that.

And I think I understand how to do part C, I just didn't want to skip b. But you would just integrate "a(t)=3/sq root(t + 1)" to change it to velocity and plug in t=80 and find out which one has a higher velocity at 80 seconds correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
For b), you're being asked
1) to explain what is meant by [tex]\int^{70}_{10} v(t)dt[/tex]
2) to approximate said integral.

Were you confused by them asking for part 1 in terms of the rocket's flight? If so, just ignore that part of the question. It's redundant.

Your method for part c) is correct.

1) What is a "Calculus word problem"?

A "Calculus word problem" is a type of mathematical problem that involves using concepts and techniques from Calculus to solve it. These problems typically involve finding the maximum or minimum value of a function, optimizing a situation, or determining the rate of change.

2) How do I approach solving a Calculus word problem?

The first step in solving a Calculus word problem is to carefully read and understand the problem. Then, identify the known and unknown variables and use the given information to create an equation or system of equations. Next, use Calculus techniques such as differentiation or integration to solve the equations and find the answer.

3) Why is Calculus used in word problems?

Calculus is used in word problems because it is a branch of mathematics that deals with change and motion. Many real-world situations involve variables that are constantly changing, and Calculus provides the tools to analyze and optimize these situations.

4) Are there any tips for solving Calculus word problems?

Some tips for solving Calculus word problems include drawing diagrams or graphs to visualize the situation, breaking the problem down into smaller parts, and checking your work for reasonableness. It is also helpful to practice and become familiar with common types of Calculus word problems.

5) How can I improve my understanding of Calculus word problems?

To improve your understanding of Calculus word problems, it is important to have a strong foundation in Calculus concepts and techniques. Practice solving various types of word problems and seek help from a teacher or tutor if needed. It can also be helpful to read and study real-world applications of Calculus to see how it is used in different fields.