Special Relativity - Time dilation

The factor of 4 comes from the fact that the integral is done from 0 to T where T is the time of the trip which is 4 times the time for any one leg of the journey. In summary, the total trip time for a round trip with constant proper acceleration is four times the time for one segment, which is 5 years of proper time. Assuming an acceleration of 1g=10m/s^2, or approximately 1.06c/year, the total trip duration for the traveller is 20 years. However, according to the time dilation formula, the actual amount of time that passes on Earth is less, due to the effects of time dilation. Using the proper integral, the total time
kehler

Homework Statement

Assume a round trip with constant proper acceleration. It would have four segments: acceleration away from Earth, deceleration, acceleration towards Earth and deceleration to reach Earth. The time for each segment is the same, so the total trip time is four times that for a segment. Assume each segment is 5 years of proper time, so the total trip lasts 20 years for the traveller.
Assume the hyper-drive accelerates the ship at 1g=10m/s^2 which is approximately 1.06c/year. (1year=3.16x10^7s)

Calculate how much time passes on Earth. Use the time dilation formula. Note that the time on Earth for a segment can be written as 5=
21kj9z6.jpg
The following integral should be useful:
10er2th.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

I figured I just had to substitude numbers into the formula. I put '5' in place of the 'T's in the formula, and used alpha=1.06c/year. I then multiplied my answer by 4.
I got the answer to be 19.99981719. I find that kinda weird cos shouldn't more time pass on Earth than for the ship?? Did I do something wrong? :S

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't visit this forum very often and I ran across this in a search. You don't have the integral corrrect. Here is the proper analysis:

t' = t(1-(v/c)^2)^.5

v=at

t' = Int[t(1-(at/c)^2)^.5]dt

t' = (-a/c)Int[t(t^2 - (c/a)^2)]dt

Int[x(x^2 - a^2)^.5]dx = 1/3(x^2 - a^2)^1.5

t' = (-c/a)^2(1/3)(t^2 - (c/a)^2)^1.5

t' =(1/3) (-a/c)^2(t^2 - (c/a)^2)^1.5

1. What is time dilation in special relativity?

Time dilation is a phenomenon in which time appears to pass at a different rate for an object in motion compared to an object at rest. This is a consequence of Einstein's theory of special relativity and is caused by the relative motion between the two objects.

2. How does time dilation work?

Time dilation occurs because the speed of light is constant in all frames of reference. This means that as an object moves faster, time for that object appears to slow down from the perspective of a stationary observer. This effect becomes more significant as the speed of the object approaches the speed of light.

3. What is the equation for time dilation?

The equation for time dilation is t' = t / √(1 - v^2/c^2), where t' is the time measured by the moving object, t is the time measured by the stationary observer, v is the relative velocity between the two objects, and c is the speed of light.

4. How is time dilation observed in everyday life?

Time dilation is usually only noticeable at very high speeds or in extreme gravitational fields. However, it is a well-established phenomenon and has been observed in experiments using atomic clocks and particles traveling at high speeds. GPS satellites also take into account time dilation when calculating precise location data.

5. What are the implications of time dilation?

Time dilation has significant implications for our understanding of time and space. It challenges the concept of absolute time and shows that time is relative to the observer's frame of reference. Time dilation also has practical applications in fields such as GPS technology and particle physics. It also plays a crucial role in the twin paradox, which explores the effects of time dilation on twins traveling at different speeds.