Composite of two injections is an injection

In summary: Still don't understand.No, sorry. You have to think about the two functions f & g. You can define g:A->B, so take an a in A, g will map this from A into B with a value g(a). Now as we're considering the composition f(g(a)). The value g(a) must lie in the domain of f for the composition to make sense, otherwise the composition f(g(a)) wouldn't make sense. Are you with me so far? f will have to be a map f:B->C, so that the composition f\circ g:A\rightarrow C makes sense. I think your confused about the composition of functions
Jamin2112

Homework Statement

That's what I'm supposed to prove.

Homework Equations

A function f is an injection if

f(x1)=f(x2) ---> x1=x2

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm just having trouble constructing a formal proof. I mean, it's obvious that f(g(x1))=f(g(x2)) then either g(x1)=g(x2) or g(x1)≠g(x2), and since g(x1)≠g(x2) implies x1≠x2, ...

I don't know. I'm getting all tongue-tied. Help me out here.

Physics news on Phys.org
f and g are injective then is [tex]g\circ f[/tex]?, write down wheat it means for f to be injective (f(a)=f(b)=>a=b), what it means for g and what it means for [tex]g\circ f[/tex] and you should have your proof, it's a one liner.

Jamin2112 said:

Homework Statement

That's what I'm supposed to prove.

Homework Equations

A function f is an injection if

f(x1)=f(x2) ---> x1=x2

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm just having trouble constructing a formal proof. I mean, it's obvious that f(g(x1))=f(g(x2)) then either g(x1)=g(x2) or g(x1)≠g(x2),
Since f is an injection, you won't have the latter case. Since f(g(x1))=f(g(x2)) then g(x1)=g(x2), because f is an injection.
Jamin2112 said:
and since g(x1)≠g(x2) implies x1≠x2, ...

I don't know. I'm getting all tongue-tied. Help me out here.

Nevermind. I was thinking to hard about this.

Proof.

Let h=f(g(x)), where f and g are injective functions.

h(x1)=h(x2) [tex]\Rightarrow[/tex] f(g(x1))=f(g(x2)) [tex]\Rightarrow[/tex] g(x1)=g(x2) (since f is an injection) [tex]\Rightarrow[/tex] x1=x2 (since g is an injection)

But the next question asks me to show that the composite of two surjections is a surjection. I'll give it a shot.

Proof. Let f:A[tex]\rightarrow[/tex]B and g:C[tex]\rightarrow[/tex]D be surjections.

( [tex]\forall[/tex] b[tex]\in[/tex]B ) ( [tex]\exists[/tex] a[tex]\in[/tex]A ) ( f(a)=b )

( [tex]\forall[/tex] d[tex]\in[/tex]D ) ( [tex]\exists[/tex] c[tex]\in[/tex]C ) ( f(c)=d )

Let h=f(g(x)).

Not sure where to go from here. Can someone give me a jump start?

Same as before with the injection, f:A->B and g:C->A. f is surjective then for all g(c) in A there is an b in B such that f(g(c))=b. What does it mean for g to be surjective?

You have to define your maps correctly.

hunt_mat said:
Same as before with the injection, f:A->B and g:C->A

So why is the domain of f the same as the codomain of g?

because you're looking at f(g(x)), g has to map to something that f can map from. I prefer the term image to codomain, you may hear that from time to time.

Last edited:
hunt_mat said:
because you're looking at f(g(x)), g has to map to something that f can map from. I prefer the term image to codomain, you may hear that from time to time.

Why couldn't I just say ...

Let f:A-->B and g:C-->D be surjections. For all b in B, there exists an a in A such that f(a)=b, and for all d in D, there exists a c in C such that f(c)=d. The composite function h(x)=f(g(x)) will map the set C to the set A. h will be a surjection if for all a in A, there exists a c in C such that f(c)=a.

... I don't know. Still don't get it. :confused:

No, sorry. You have to think about the two functions f & g. You can define g:A->B, so take an a in A, g will map this from A into B with a value g(a). Now as we're considering the composition f(g(a)). The value g(a) must lie in the domain of f for the composition to make sense, otherwise the composition f(g(a)) wouldn't make sense. Are you with me so far?

f will have to be a map f:B->C, so that the composition [tex]f\circ g:A\rightarrow C[/tex] makes sense. I think your confused about the composition of functions.

hunt_mat said:
No, sorry. You have to think about the two functions f & g. You can define g:A->B, so take an a in A, g will map this from A into B with a value g(a). Now as we're considering the composition f(g(a)). The value g(a) must lie in the domain of f for the composition to make sense, otherwise the composition f(g(a)) wouldn't make sense. Are you with me so far?

f will have to be a map f:B->C, so that the composition [tex]f\circ g:A\rightarrow C[/tex] makes sense. I think your confused about the composition of functions.

I'm with you.

So I think now you're able to complete the question using the same sort of logic as you did with the injective part.

1. What is a composite of two injections?

A composite of two injections is a mathematical operation that combines two separate functions into one. It is similar to the concept of composition in music or art, where two different elements are combined to create a new piece.

2. Is a composite of two injections always an injection?

Yes, a composite of two injections is always an injection. This is because the combination of two injections results in a single, unique output for each input. In other words, there are no repeated outputs, making it a one-to-one function.

3. How is a composite of two injections written?

A composite of two injections is written as (f ∘ g)(x), where f and g are the two functions being combined and x is the input. This notation is read as "f of g of x" or "f composed with g of x".

4. Can a composite of two injections be reversed?

Yes, a composite of two injections can be reversed. This is known as the inverse of the composite function and is written as (f ∘ g)^-1(x). However, not all composite functions have an inverse.

5. What is the purpose of composite injections in mathematics?

The purpose of composite injections is to simplify and analyze complex functions by breaking them down into smaller, more manageable parts. This can also help to determine if a function is an injection, as well as finding the inverse of a function.