Copper rod vs. bundle of wires in a magnetic field

In summary, the difference in current between a bundle of copper wire passing through alternating magnetic fields and a solid copper rod of the same diameter is that the rod will have more current due to larger eddy current loops and therefore more power dissipated in the copper. This is why transformer iron is laminated and Litz wire is used in AC coils to minimize losses. The question was prompted by the design of axial flux generators and the possibility of using a "C" shaped piece of iron with a coil, but the solution of using copper instead to avoid feedback.
tigrathi
I was wondering what the difference in current is if there is one when you have a bundle of copper wire passing through alternating magnetic fields verses a solid copper rod of the same diameter. Will the rod have more current because there is more copper? Would it have less because more copper means more residual magnetic field when the polarity switches? Or would it make no difference at all?

Physics news on Phys.org
Eddy currents will be generated in the rod.

Bob S said:
Eddy currents will be generated in the rod.

Wouldn't the same eddy current be produced in each wire of the bundle just in smaller amounts, and when all of those small amounts are added up won’t they equal the current in the rod?

tigrathi said:
Wouldn't the same eddy current be produced in each wire of the bundle just in smaller amounts, and when all of those small amounts are added up won’t they equal the current in the rod?
Actually not.
Consider a small differential current loop in the copper of radius r and width dr. The induced voltage (Faraday induction) is proportional to πr2 and the length of the loop is proportional to 2πr, so the induced current i is proportional to ρr/2 (where ρ is the resistivity of copper), and the dissipated power to i2ρ=ρr2. So larger eddy current loops lead to more power dissipated in the copper. This is why transformer iron is lamiated (see http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_purpose_of_laminating_an_iron_core_in_transformers), and why Litz wire (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Litz_wire) is used in ac coils. To minimize losses in the Litz wire, each strand is covered with a thin insulating coating.

Last edited:
Perhaps an explanation of what made me ask this question could help. I was looking at all the different designs of axial flux generators, and nearly all of them use an "O" shaped coil of wire on one side of a magnet. I was thinking why would they not use a "C" shape coil and use both sides of the magnet. Then I got thinking that it would be kind of hard to route all of that wire. I was thinking one could use a "C" shaped piece of iron and put the coil on that, but it would cause too much feedback when the next opposite polarity magnet passes by. So I was thinking to use copper instead of iron & just connect the ends and use that as the coil to get around the feedback.

What is the difference between a copper rod and a bundle of wires in a magnetic field?

The main difference between a copper rod and a bundle of wires in a magnetic field is their shape. A copper rod is a single solid piece, while a bundle of wires is a group of individual wires grouped together.

How does a copper rod behave in a magnetic field compared to a bundle of wires?

In a magnetic field, a copper rod will experience a force perpendicular to both the direction of the current and the magnetic field. This force is known as the Lorentz force. A bundle of wires, on the other hand, will experience a force on each individual wire in the direction of the current, resulting in a larger overall force.

Which one is more effective in a magnetic field, a copper rod or a bundle of wires?

It depends on the specific application and the strength of the magnetic field. In general, a bundle of wires will be more effective in creating a larger force, but a copper rod may be more suitable for precise or delicate movements.

Can a bundle of wires be used as a substitute for a copper rod in a magnetic field?

In most cases, yes, a bundle of wires can be used as a substitute for a copper rod in a magnetic field. However, the resulting force and behavior may be different, so it is important to consider the specific requirements of the application.

Are there any advantages or disadvantages to using a copper rod versus a bundle of wires in a magnetic field?

The advantages and disadvantages of using a copper rod versus a bundle of wires in a magnetic field depend on the specific application. Some potential advantages of a copper rod include its stability and precision, while a bundle of wires may offer a larger overall force. It is important to carefully consider the requirements of the application to determine which option would be more suitable.