Energy of photon emitted from Positronium transition

In summary, the conversation discusses the energy of a photon emitted during a transition of a Positronium atom from n=3 to n=1 state. The Lyman series is used to find the wavelength, but the calculation is not accurate for positronium due to the equal mass of the orbiting particles. The correct expression for the Rydberg constant must include the reduced mass of the electron-nucleus system.
dimensionless
Let's say I have a Positronium atom (an atom formed by an electron and a positron), and that this atom makes a transition from an n=3 state to an n=1 state. How do I find the energy of the photon that gets emitted during this transition?
I've tried to use the Lyman series to find the wavelength. This looks like the following
[tex]
\frac{1}{\lambda}=R\left( \frac{1}{1^2}+\frac{1}{n^{3}} \right)
[/tex]
Setting n=3 I get
[tex]
\frac{1}{\lambda}=\frac{8}{9}R
[/tex]
If energy is E=vh, R=1.097e7m^-1, h=4.14e-15eV*s, and c=2.998e8m/s then
[tex]
E=vh=\frac{c}{\lambda}h=\frac{8}{9}Rch=12.10eV
[/tex]
I am looking for the answer E=6 eV, so I am pretty sure that I am wrong. Can anyone tell me how to do this correctly?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
reduced mass correction

R, the Rydberg constant, depends on the mass of the orbiting particle. For ordinary hydrogen, where the electron orbits the massive proton, m is just the mass of the electron. But for positronium, the electron and positron have the same mass. To model the electron as orbiting the positron, you must use the reduced mass in calculating R. (The reduced mass = half of the mass of the electron.)

So then does [tex]R= \frac{em_e}{8\epsilon_{0}^{2}h^3c}[/tex] in all cases?

I suppose that by definition R equals that expression. But it assumes that the nucleus is fixed, which is a reasonable assumption for hydrogen where the nucleus is massive compared to the electron. But it won't do at all for positronium: you must use the more accurate expression that replaces the mass of the electron with the reduced mass of the electron-nucleus system.

1. What is Positronium and how does it emit energy?

Positronium is a short-lived atom-like particle made up of an electron and a positron (antimatter equivalent of an electron). When the electron and positron collide and annihilate each other, they release two photons (particles of light) with a specific energy level.

2. How is the energy of a photon emitted from a Positronium transition determined?

The energy of a photon emitted from a Positronium transition is determined by the difference in energy levels between the initial and final states of the electron-positron system. This energy difference corresponds to the specific frequency or wavelength of the photon.

3. What factors affect the energy of a photon emitted from a Positronium transition?

The energy of a photon emitted from a Positronium transition is primarily affected by the mass and charge of the electron and positron, as well as the distance between them. The type of transition (e.g. from a higher energy level to a lower one) and any external forces can also have an impact on the energy of the emitted photon.

4. Can the energy of a photon emitted from a Positronium transition be measured?

Yes, the energy of a photon emitted from a Positronium transition can be measured using various techniques such as spectroscopy. By analyzing the frequency or wavelength of the emitted photons, the energy level transitions within the Positronium system can be determined.

5. How is the energy of a photon emitted from a Positronium transition used in research or practical applications?

The energy of a photon emitted from a Positronium transition is used in various fields of research such as quantum physics, particle physics, and astrophysics. It is also utilized in practical applications such as medical imaging and positron emission tomography (PET) scans.