Energy degeneracy in a cubical box

In summary, for one-dimensional binding potential, a unique energy corresponds to a unique quantum state of the bound particle, while for a three-dimensional potential, a particle of unique energy may be in several different quantum states. In a three-dimensional box with equal edges, the lowest possible energy state is determined by the quantum state (1,1,1), while the second-lowest energy state is shared by three distinct quantum states (2,1,1), (1,2,1), and (1,1,2). These states can be distinguished from one another based on their probability densities, which have different values for quantum operators containing partial derivatives with respect to x, y, and z. This also results in different expectation values for momentum
docnet
Gold Member
Homework Statement
please see below
Relevant Equations
please see below
For one-dimensional binding potential, a unique energy corresponds to a unique quantum state of the bound particle. In contrast, a particle of unique energy bound in a three-dimensional potential may be in one of several different quantum states. For example, suppose that the three-dimensional box has edges of equal lengths ##a=b=c##, so that it is a cube. Then the energy states are given by
$$E=\frac{h^2}{8ma^2}(n_x^2+n_y^2+n_z^2), n_x,n_y,n_z=1,2,3,4...$$

(a) what is the lowest possible value for the energy E in the cubical box? show that there is only one quantum state corresponding to this energy (that is, only one choice of the set ##n_x,n_y,n_z##).

(b) What is the second-lowest energy E? Show that this value of energy is shared by three distinct quantum states. Given the probability function ##|\psi|^2## for each of these states, could they be distinguuished from one another?

(c) let ##n^2=n_x^2+n_y^2+n_z^2## be an integer proportional to a given permitted energy. List the degeneracies for energies corresponding to ##n^2=3, 6, 9, 11, 12##. Can you find a value of ##n^2## for which the energy level is sixfold degenerate?
(a) the lowest possible value for ##E## is
$$ E=\frac{h^2}{8ma^2}(1^2+1^2+1^2)=\frac{3h^2}{8ma^2}$$
where the quantum state corresponding to this energy is ## (n_x,n_y,n_z)=(1,1,1)##.

(b)the second lowest energy ##E## is
$$ E=\frac{h^2}{8ma^2}(2^2+1^2+1^2)=\frac{3h^2}{4ma^2}$$
shared by three distinct quantum states ## (n_x,n_y,n_z)=(2,1,1)## or ##(1,2,1)## or ##(1,1,2)##.

They cannot be distinguished from one another because $$|\psi|^2=sin^2(\frac{n_x\pi x}{a})sin^2(\frac{n_y\pi x}{b})sin^2(\frac{n_z\pi x}{c})$$ where ##a=b=c##, and the three quantum states have identical probabilities.

(c)
##n^2=3\Rightarrow (1,1,1)##

##n^2=6\Rightarrow (2,1,1), (1,2,1), (1,1,2)##

##n^2=9\Rightarrow (2,2,1), (2,1,2), (1,2,2)##

##n^2=11\Rightarrow (3,1,1), (1,3,1), (1,1,3)##

##n^2=12\Rightarrow (2,2,2)##

When ##n_x\neq n_y\neq n_z##, the number of degeneracies are given by the number of permutations of ##n_x, n_y, n_z##.
$$3!=3\times2\times1=6$$

Physics news on Phys.org
docnet said:
They cannot be distinguished from one another because $$|\psi|^2=sin^2(\frac{n_x\pi x}{a})sin^2(\frac{n_y\pi x}{b})sin^2(\frac{n_z\pi x}{c})$$ where ##a=b=c##, and the three quantum states have identical probabilities.
Is that really true everywhere in the box?

For the six-fold degeneracy the problem asks for an explicit n2 as answer.

Likes PeroK
docnet said:
This should be ##|\psi(x, y, z)|^2##.

Ah good catch, didn't notice that the typo made it harder to see the difference.

mfb said:
Is that really true everywhere in the box?

For the six-fold degeneracy the problem asks for an explicit n2 as answer.
No! I believe I made a mistake. ##\psi## is not the same everywhere in the box, and can be distinguished from one another as I work out below.##
PeroK said:
This should be ##|\psi(x, y, z)|^2##.
I realize that now. My work was careless.

Let me try this again, this time aware of my error.

(b)the second lowest energy ##E## is
$$ E=\frac{h^2}{8ma^2}(2^2+1^2+1^2)=\frac{3h^2}{4ma^2}$$
shared by three distinct quantum states ## (n_x,n_y,n_z)=(2,1,1)##, ##(1,2,1)## and ##(1,1,2)##.

The distinct quantum states can be distinguished from one another because the probability densities for the three states are given by
$$|\psi_1(x,y,z)|^2=sin^2(\frac{2\pi x}{a})sin^2(\frac{\pi y}{a})sin^2(\frac{2\pi z}{a})$$
$$|\psi_2(x,y,z)|^2=sin^2(\frac{\pi x}{a})sin^2(\frac{2\pi y}{a})sin^2(\frac{\pi z}{a})$$
$$|\psi_3(x,y,z)|^2=sin^2(\frac{\pi x}{a})sin^2(\frac{\pi y}{a})sin^2(\frac{2\pi z}{a})$$
The three product terms in ##\psi_i(x,y,z)## are independent in x,y, and z. So, quantum operators that contain partial derivatives with respect to x, y, and z can give different values on ##\psi_i(x,y,z)##. For example, we can identify ##\psi_1(x, y, z)=sin(\frac{2\pi x}{a})sin(\frac{\pi y}{a})sin(\frac{\pi z}{a})## using the three momentum operators on ##\psi_1(x, y, z)##
$$\hat{P_x}\psi(x,y,z)=-i\hbar\Big[\frac{\partial}{\partial x}sin(\frac{2\pi x}{a})sin(\frac{\pi y}{a})sin(\frac{\pi z}{a})\Big]=-i\hbar\frac{2\pi}{a}\Big[cos(\frac{2\pi x}{a})sin(\frac{\pi y}{a})sin(\frac{\pi z}{a})\Big]$$
$$\hat{P_y}\psi(x,y,z)=-i\hbar\Big[sin(\frac{2\pi x}{a})\frac{\partial}{\partial y}sin(\frac{\pi y}{a})sin(\frac{\pi z}{a})\Big]=-i\hbar\frac{\pi}{a}\Big[sin(\frac{2\pi x}{a})cos(\frac{\pi y}{a})sin(\frac{\pi z}{a})\Big]$$
$$\hat{P_z}\psi(x,y,z)=-i\hbar\Big[sin(\frac{2\pi x}{a})sin(\frac{\pi y}{a}) \frac{\partial}{\partial z}sin(\frac{\pi z}{a})\Big]=-i\hbar\frac{\pi}{a}\Big[sin(\frac{2\pi x}{a})sin(\frac{\pi y}{a}) cos(\frac{\pi z}{a})\Big]$$
We can work out the expectation values for momentum, and we will find that ##\psi_1(x,y,z)## has a two-fold larger momentum in the x direction than in y or z directions.

Likewise, the kinetic energy operators ##\hat{T_j}## operating on ##\psi_i(x,y,z)=sin(\frac{2\pi x}{a})sin(\frac{\pi y}{a})sin(\frac{\pi z}{a})## have different eigenvalues. It is worth mentioning the three quantum states correspond to a single expectation value for position because the density functions ##\rho=|\psi_i(x,y,z)|^2## are symmetrically distributed about the center of the cube. In similar terms, we find there is a single expectaion value for energy because the Hamiltonian contains partial derivatives with respect to all three components x, y, and z in a symmetric manner, and because we defined the three wavefunctions ##\psi_i(x,y,z)## to be degenerate quantum states.

edited for wording and explanations

Last edited:
You are far overthinking this. Consider what happens at e.g. x=a/2 in the first case and how that differs from the second and third case.

mfb said:
You are far overthinking this. Consider what happens at e.g. x=a/2 in the first case and how that differs from the second and third case.

I see what you mean. For ##x=\frac{a}{2}## the probability density vanishes to ##0## for all ##y## and ##z## for ##\psi_1(x,y,z)##, and that is not the case for ##\psi_2(x,y,z)## or ##\psi_3(x,y,z)##. However, I thought we were only allowed to use operators to test our hypothesis.

docnet said:
However, I thought we were only allowed to use operators to test our hypothesis.
I don't know what that means. The wave functions are different, with different probability densities for finding the particle, so the states are distinguishable.

Likes docnet and mfb
PeroK said:
I don't know what that means. The wave functions are different, with different probability densities for finding the particle, so the states are distinguishable.
oh no... I spent too long on this problem.

1. What is energy degeneracy in a cubical box?

Energy degeneracy in a cubical box refers to the phenomenon in which multiple energy levels of a particle in a confined space have the same energy value. This is due to the restrictions on the possible energy states in a confined system, such as a cubical box.

2. How does energy degeneracy affect the behavior of particles in a cubical box?

Energy degeneracy can affect the behavior of particles in a cubical box by allowing for multiple particles to occupy the same energy level. This can lead to increased chances of collisions and interactions between particles, which can impact the overall dynamics of the system.

3. What factors contribute to energy degeneracy in a cubical box?

The main factor that contributes to energy degeneracy in a cubical box is the confinement of particles within a limited space. The shape and size of the box, as well as the properties of the particles, can also play a role in determining the level of energy degeneracy in the system.

4. How can energy degeneracy be calculated in a cubical box?

Energy degeneracy can be calculated by determining the number of energy levels with the same energy value in a given system. In a cubical box, this can be done by considering the dimensions of the box and the energy levels allowed for the particles within it.

5. What are the implications of energy degeneracy in a cubical box for practical applications?

Energy degeneracy in a cubical box can have practical implications in fields such as quantum mechanics and statistical mechanics. It can also impact the behavior of particles in confined spaces, which can be relevant in areas such as materials science and nanotechnology.