How can I solve [x]^13 + 7*[x] + 5 = 0 in ring 91 efficiently?

• Thread starter Werg22
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Approach
In summary, to solve [x]^13 + 7*[x] + 5 = 0 in ring 91, you can use the Chinese Remainder Theorem and Fermat's Little Theorem to consider the problem separately for mod 7 and mod 13. This will allow you to find the solutions for both mod 7 and mod 13, and then combine them to find the solutions for mod 91. This approach is often easier than trying to solve the problem directly in mod 91.
Werg22
I've got to solve this:

[x]^13 + 7*[x] + 5 = 0 in ring 91.

I've tried solving for [x]^13 and [x] as variables in a Diophante equation but I wasn't able to go anywhere with that. I could try brute force by trying every value for [x] from 0 to 90 but that would just be inconvenient. What should I do?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
What's ring 91? Do you mean modulo 91? If so, notice that 91=13*7. So to start things off, multiply your equation by 13 to get rid of the [x] term. Then consider things mod 13 and mod 7.

I admit I am quite shaky with the theory involved, mind giving a bit more details?

If you multiply by 13, you're going to get
0 = 13[x]^13 + 91[x] + 65 = 13[x]^13 - 26 (mod 91)

If the expression the RHS is divisible by 91, then it's divisible by 7 and 13. Conversely, if it's divisible by both 7 and 13, then it's divisible by 91. But it's clearly divisible by 13, so we really only need to consider 13[x]^13 = 26 (mod 7). Fermat's little theorem can be helpful here.

Generally working modulo a prime is easier than modulo a composite.

Thanks allot, I'll see how it develops.

A quick question why does x^13 = x mod 7? I can't quite pin down the reason; is that a case where Fermat's little theorem comes in hand?

Edit: Nevermind, figured it out.

Last edited:
What you need here is, as mentioned, 91=7*13. Then you can consider the Chinese Remainder Theorem which explains that we can solve this problem for both 7 and 13 and then combine the result. The other matter is Fermat's Little theorem, which says that for prime p, X^p ==x Mod p, that is, X^(p-1)==1 Mod p.

So Mod 13, X^13 ==X. This gives x+7x+5 ==0 Mod 13, or 8x==-5==8 Mod 13. Thus we have X==1 Mod 13. The numbers that solve that are of the form 1+13K = 1, 14, 27,...

You can then proceed in the same manner with the equation Mod 7...

Last edited:

1. How do I approach a scientific experiment?

The first step in approaching a scientific experiment is to clearly define your research question or hypothesis. Then, you will need to design a method or procedure to test your hypothesis. It's important to carefully consider variables and control groups in your experiment to ensure accurate results.

2. What are some strategies for approaching difficult scientific concepts?

One strategy for approaching difficult scientific concepts is to break them down into smaller, more manageable parts. This can help you better understand each component and how they relate to each other. Another strategy is to use visual aids, such as diagrams or illustrations, to help you visualize the concept. Additionally, seeking out additional resources, such as textbooks or online articles, can provide a different perspective and help clarify any confusion.

3. How should I approach data analysis in my research?

When approaching data analysis in your research, it's important to have a clear plan and method for organizing and analyzing your data. This can include using statistical software or creating charts and graphs to visualize your data. It's also important to critically evaluate your data and look for any patterns or trends that may support or contradict your hypothesis.

4. How do I approach a scientific paper or publication?

Approaching a scientific paper or publication involves carefully reading and analyzing the content. Begin by reading the abstract to get a general overview of the study. Then, read the introduction to understand the background and purpose of the research. Next, analyze the methods and results sections to understand how the study was conducted and what the findings were. Finally, read the discussion and conclusion to understand the significance and implications of the research.

5. How can I approach presenting my scientific research?

When presenting your scientific research, it's important to be clear and concise. Start by creating a clear outline and organizing your presentation in a logical manner. Use visual aids, such as slides or posters, to help illustrate your points. Additionally, practice your presentation beforehand to ensure you are comfortable and confident. Be prepared to answer questions and engage with your audience to further explain your research.