How can I solve the Spring Balance problem using alternative methods?

In summary, the conversation involves solving a problem using two equations with two unknowns. The expert suggests using trigonometric identities to simplify the equations and obtain an equation in terms of only one variable. The strategy is to eliminate higher order terms and solve for the unknown variable. The final answer is obtained by substituting the solution back into the original equations.
cwill53
Homework Statement
The rings A, B, C of three spring-balances are fixed to the horizontal board as shown in the Figure. A cord is attached to the hook of each balance and the free ends of the cords are tied together in a knot D. The readings of the balances are 8lbs; 7lbs, 13lbs. Determine the angles ##\alpha## and ##\beta## between the directions of the cords.

Ans. ##\alpha## = 27 ##^{{\circ}}##48’
##\beta##=32##^{{\circ}}##12’
Relevant Equations
$$\sum \vec{F}=m\vec{a}$$
Here is the diagram:
0AA73066-48CA-4CB0-B4B0-87B01140E35E.jpeg

I’ve only drawn the diagram and made equations for the sum of forces in the x-directions and y-directions:
##\sum F_{x}=(7 lbs)sin\beta+(8 lbs)sin\alpha=0##
##\sum F_{y}=(8 lbs)cos\alpha+(7 lbs)cos\beta-13 lbs=0##

Attachments

• 3338970C-8450-45EC-8F66-5A0E901CF387.jpeg
    3338970C-8450-45EC-8F66-5A0E901CF387.jpeg
    26.5 KB · Views: 89
Physics news on Phys.org
If you solve for one of the sines in the first equation, would you be able to use ##\cos x=\sqrt{1-\sin^2x}##?

Likes etotheipi and cwill53
cwill53 said:
I still don't see how to do this. Two equations two unknowns. I get that. But I'm having trouble solving it.
$$7\sin\beta+8\sin\alpha=0\Leftrightarrow\sin\beta=-\frac 87\sin\alpha\\\cos\beta=\sqrt{1-\sin^2\beta}$$

Likes cwill53
cwill53 said:
But I'm having trouble solving it.
Have you learned how approach solving ##a\sin\theta + b\cos\theta = c ## ?

Likes cwill53
BvU said:
Have you learned how approach solving ##a\sin\theta + b\cos\theta = c ## ?
I probably have, but it's not coming to me even after a long time of thinking about it. My trig identities suck.

After reading what etothepi said, whose post appears to be removed, I got

$$(64 lbs^{2})(cos^{2}\alpha +sin^{2}\alpha )+(49lbs^{2})(cos^{2}\beta +sin^{2}\beta)=169lbs^{2}$$

cwill53 said:
I probably have, but it's not coming to me even after a long time of thinking about it. My trig identities suck.

After reading what etothepi said, whose post appears to be removed, I got

$$(64 lbs^{2})(cos^{2}\alpha +sin^{2}\alpha )+(49lbs^{2})(cos^{2}\beta +sin^{2}\beta)=169lbs^{2}$$

Don't forget the cross terms!

I removed it because I don't think it actually gets you anywhere helpful even if you apply the ##\cos{(\alpha - \beta)}## identity. @archaic's suggestion gets you the right answer.

Likes cwill53
etotheipi said:
Don't forget the cross terms!

I removed it because I don't think it actually gets you anywhere helpful even if you apply the ##\cos{(\alpha - \beta)}## identity. @archaic's suggestion gets you the right answer.
Sorry, I'm still not understanding how that substitution works.
I got here: ##(8lbs)cos \alpha+ (7lbs)\sqrt{1+\frac{8}{7}sin\alpha }##

You have ##\sin{\beta} = \frac{-8\sin{\alpha}}{7} \implies \cos{\beta} = \sqrt{1-\sin^2{\beta}} = \sqrt{1-\frac{64\sin^2{\alpha}}{49}}##. Now you can substitute ##\cos{\beta}## back into the second equation which gives you $$7\sqrt{1-\frac{64\sin^2{\alpha}}{49}} = 13 - 8\cos{\alpha}$$ Then you're in a position to square both sides and solve for ##\alpha##. You'll need to use ##\cos^{2}{\alpha} = 1-\sin^{2}{\alpha}##.

Likes cwill53 and archaic
etotheipi said:
You have ##\sin{\beta} = \frac{-8\sin{\alpha}}{7} \implies \cos{\beta} = \sqrt{1-\sin^2{\beta}} = \sqrt{1-\frac{64\sin^2{\alpha}}{49}}##. Now you can substitute ##\cos{\beta}## back into the second equation which gives you $$7\sqrt{1-\frac{64\sin^2{\alpha}}{49}} = 13 - 8\cos{\alpha}$$ Then you're in a position to square both sides and solve for ##\alpha##. You'll need to use ##\cos^{2}{\alpha} = 1-\sin^{2}{\alpha}##.
I can't see how this yields a solution. I end up getting that alpha is 94.17 degrees which is incorrect.

##7\sqrt{1-\frac{64}{49}sin^{2}a}=13-8cos\alpha ##
##7\sqrt{1-\frac{64}{49}sin^{2}a}=(13+\sqrt{1-64sin^{2}a})##
##\Rightarrow 49-64sin^{2}a=-64sin^{2}a-26\sqrt{1-64sin^{2}a}+170##

We square both sides of $$7\sqrt{1-\frac{64\sin^2{\alpha}}{49}} = 13 - 8\cos{\alpha}$$ to obtain $$49\left(1-\frac{64\sin^2{\alpha}}{49} \right) = 49 - 64\sin^2{\alpha} =169 - 208\cos{\alpha} + 64\cos^2{\alpha}$$ Now we substitute ##\sin^{2}{\alpha}## for ##(1-\cos^{2}{\alpha})##, $$49 - 64(1-\cos^{2}{\alpha}) =169 - 208\cos{\alpha} + 64\cos^2{\alpha}$$ Hopefully you can see that the ##64\cos^{2}{\alpha}## cancels on both sides. If you simplify that you can then get ##\cos{\alpha}##

Likes cwill53
etotheipi said:
We square both sides of $$7\sqrt{1-\frac{64\sin^2{\alpha}}{49}} = 13 - 8\cos{\alpha}$$ to obtain $$49\left(1-\frac{64\sin^2{\alpha}}{49} \right) = 49 - 64\sin^2{\alpha} =169 - 208\cos{\alpha} + 64\cos^2{\alpha}$$ Now we substitute ##\sin^{2}{\alpha}## for ##(1-\cos^{2}{\alpha})##, $$49 - 64(1-\cos^{2}{\alpha}) =169 - 208\cos{\alpha} + 64\cos^2{\alpha}$$ Hopefully you can see that the ##64\cos^{2}{\alpha}## cancels on both sides. If you simplify that you can then get ##\cos{\alpha}##
I see, I thought I was supposed to use the substitution for cos(a) on both sides.

cwill53 said:
I see, I thought I was supposed to use the substitution for cos(a) on both sides.

Ah. Yes the general strategy here was to try and obtain some equation only in one of ##\sin{\alpha}##, ##\sin{\beta}##, ##\cos{\alpha}## or ##\cos{\beta}##, because then in the worst case you can do a substitution and you get a polynomial and in the best case (like here) you don't get any higher order terms and the answer comes straight out.

Likes cwill53
etotheipi said:
Ah. Yes the general strategy here was to try and obtain some equation only in one of ##\sin{\alpha}##, ##\sin{\beta}##, ##\cos{\alpha}## or ##\cos{\beta}##, because then in the worst case you can do a substitution and you get a polynomial and in the best case (like here) you don't get any higher order terms and the answer comes straight out.
Thanks a lot for your patience, I finally got the answer.

Likes BvU
Interestingly, the way I first proposed gives some peculiar results. Squaring both equations, $$49\sin^2{\beta} + 112\sin{\alpha}\sin{\beta} + 64\sin^{2}{\alpha} = 0$$ $$49\cos^2{\beta} + 112\cos{\alpha}\cos{\beta} + 64\cos^{2}{\alpha} = 169$$ and then adding, $$49 + 64 + 112\cos{\alpha - \beta} = 169 \implies \cos{(\alpha - \beta)} = \frac{1}{2}$$ gives that ##\pm(\alpha - \beta) = 60^o##!

This doesn't hold for the correct values of ##\alpha## and ##\beta##, but does work for other possible solutions like ##(\alpha, \beta) = (-27.8^o, 32^o)## or ##(387^o, 327^o)##...

Likes cwill53
etotheipi said:
Interestingly, the way I first proposed gives some peculiar results. Squaring both equations, $$49\sin^2{\beta} + 112\sin{\alpha}\sin{\beta} + 64\sin^{2}{\alpha} = 0$$ $$49\cos^2{\beta} + 112\cos{\alpha}\cos{\beta} + 64\cos^{2}{\alpha} = 169$$ and then adding, $$49 + 64 + 112\cos{\alpha - \beta} = 169 \implies \cos{(\alpha - \beta)} = \frac{1}{2}$$ gives that ##\pm(\alpha - \beta) = 60^o##!

This doesn't hold for the correct values of ##\alpha## and ##\beta##, but does work for other possible solutions like ##(\alpha, \beta) = (-27.8^o, 32^o)## or ##(387^o, 327^o)##...
Are there other methods to approach this problem with? Or is the only way to do is using trig identities?

cwill53 said:
Are there other methods to approach this problem with? Or is the only way to do is using trig identities?
If you draw the triangle of forces you can apply the cosine rule to get an equation involving only one trig term.

Likes archaic and etotheipi

1. How does the Spring Balance problem relate to physics?

The Spring Balance problem is a classic physics problem that involves finding the weight of an object using a spring scale. It is based on Hooke's Law, which states that the force exerted by a spring is directly proportional to its displacement from its equilibrium position.

2. What are some alternative methods for solving the Spring Balance problem?

Some alternative methods for solving the Spring Balance problem include using a lever, a pulley system, or a balance scale. These methods rely on different principles of physics, such as torque and equilibrium, to determine the weight of an object.

3. Can the Spring Balance problem be solved without using any tools or equipment?

Yes, the Spring Balance problem can be solved using only mathematical equations. By analyzing the relationship between the displacement of the spring and the weight of the object, one can use algebraic equations to calculate the weight without the need for any tools or equipment.

4. Are there any real-life applications of the Spring Balance problem?

Yes, the Spring Balance problem has many real-life applications. It is commonly used in industries such as agriculture, fishing, and manufacturing to measure the weight of objects. It is also used in physics experiments to demonstrate the principles of Hooke's Law and other related concepts.

5. How can I check the accuracy of my solution to the Spring Balance problem?

To check the accuracy of your solution, you can compare it to the weight measured by a different method or use multiple trials to ensure consistency. Additionally, you can use a known weight to calibrate your spring scale and verify that it is giving accurate readings.