Hi all i need a little help with Jordan form

• Thread starter panoskarti
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Form Hi
In summary, the individual is seeking clarification on how to find the e^Jt using the diagonalized matrix J=[-1 0 0;0 2 1; 0 0 2]. They propose a solution of [-e^t t*e^t 1/2*t^2*e^t; 0 2*e^t t*e^t; 0 0 2*e^t] but are unsure about the elements in the first row due to confusion from a mathematics book. They then corrected the proposed solution to [e^-t t*e^t 1/2*t^2*e^t; 0 e^2t t*e^t; 0
panoskarti
ok this is my problem...
i have diagonalized the A matrix with the equation P^-1*A*P
and the result is J=[-1 0 0;0 2 1; 0 0 2]. in order to find the e^Jt do i need to do the following? =>

[-e^t t*e^t 1/2*t^2 *e^t

0 2*e^t t*e^t

0 0 2*e^t]

I am not sure about the 2 and 3 elements in the first row of the matrix since i have zeros at the J matrix but a mathematics book confused me..

Thanks in advance..

Mathematics news on Phys.org
i did a mistake this is the matrix..

[e^-t t*e^t 1/2*t^2 *e^t

0 e^2t t*e^t

0 0 e^2t ]

Hi there,

It looks like you are on the right track! In order to find e^Jt, you do need to use the formula e^Jt = Pe^(Jt)P^-1, where J is your Jordan form matrix and P is the matrix that diagonalizes A.

In your case, since J has zeros in the second and third elements of the first row, those elements will also be zero in your final result. So your calculation should look something like this:

[-e^t 0 0;
0 2*e^t t*e^t;
0 0 2*e^t]

I'm not sure what the book said that confused you, but hopefully this helps clarify things. Good luck with your problem!

What is the Jordan form?

The Jordan form is a way of representing a square matrix in a specific form that makes it easier to analyze and compute properties such as eigenvalues and eigenvectors.

How is the Jordan form calculated?

The Jordan form is calculated by finding the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of the matrix, and then arranging them in a specific way according to a set of rules.

What is the significance of the Jordan form?

The Jordan form is significant because it can help simplify complex matrix calculations and provide insight into the properties of the matrix.

Are all matrices able to be transformed into the Jordan form?

No, not all matrices can be transformed into the Jordan form. Only square matrices that have a complete set of linearly independent eigenvectors can be transformed into the Jordan form.

How is the Jordan form used in practical applications?

The Jordan form is used in many areas of mathematics and science, including physics, engineering, and economics, to solve systems of linear equations, analyze dynamical systems, and understand the behavior of systems over time.