Probability Mass Function and Marginal Probaility

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a joint probability mass function to calculate marginal probability mass functions without prior knowledge of the conditional probability function or the probability of each event. It is possible to compute the marginal probability mass functions by summing the joint probability mass function over all combinations of the variables. The example of finding the joint probability mass function of X^2 and Y^2 is also discussed.
EngWiPy
Hi,

If I have a joint probability mass function [tex]p_{X,Y}(x,y)[/tex], can we get the marginal probability mass functions [tex]p_X(x)[/tex] and [tex]p_Y(y)[/tex], without any knowledge of the conditional probability function of either of them, and the probability of each event? I mean, I know that:

[tex]p_X(x)=\sum_yp_{X,Y}(x,Y=y)=\sum_yp(x/Y=y)\text{Pr}\{y\}[/tex]

But I just have [tex]p_{X,Y}(x,y)[/tex]. Can I?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
S_David said:
Hi,

[tex]p_X(x)=\sum_yp_{X,Y}(x,Y=y)=\sum_yp(x/Y=y)\text{Pr}\{y\}[/tex]

But I just have [tex]p_{X,Y}(x,y)[/tex]. Can I?

Thanks

If you know [tex]p_{X,Y}(x,y)[/tex], what would stop you from computing [tex] \sum_yp_{X,Y}(x,Y=y) [/tex] ?

Stephen Tashi said:
If you know [tex]p_{X,Y}(x,y)[/tex], what would stop you from computing [tex] \sum_yp_{X,Y}(x,Y=y) [/tex] ?

How? Let us assume for the sake of the argument that [tex]p_{X,Y}(x,y)[/tex] is 0.4 when x=y=1, and 0.6 when x=y=2. Now according to the equation you pointed to, we have:

[tex]p_X(x)=p_{X,Y}(x,Y=1)+p_{X,Y}(x,Y=2)[/tex]

Ok? then what?

If you "have" [tex] P_{XY}(x,y) [/tex] then you know the value of things like [tex] P_{XY}(1,2) [/tex] and [tex] P_{XY}(2,1) [/tex] so there is no problem doing those sums.

For example, if the only possible values of the variables are 1 and 2, then
[tex] P_X(1) = P_{XY}(1,1) + P_{XY}(1,2) [/tex]

Stephen Tashi said:
If you "have" [tex] P_{XY}(x,y) [/tex] then you know the value of things like [tex] P_{XY}(1,2) [/tex] and [tex] P_{XY}(2,1) [/tex] so there is no problem doing those sums.

For example, if the only possible values of the variables are 1 and 2, then
[tex] P_X(1) = P_{XY}(1,1) + P_{XY}(1,2) [/tex]

Good. Now what if we need to find that joint p.m.f of [tex]X^2\text{ and }Y^2[/tex]. That is, [tex]p_{X^2,Y^2}(x^2,y^2)[/tex] from [tex]p_{X,Y}(x,y)[/tex]?

Thanks for helping.

S_David said:
Good. Now what if we need to find that joint p.m.f of [tex]X^2\text{ and }Y^2[/tex]. That is, [tex]p_{X^2,Y^2}(x^2,y^2)[/tex] from [tex]p_{X,Y}(x,y)[/tex]?

Thanks for helping.

If [itex] g(r,s) [/itex] is the joint p.m.f of [itex] (X^2,Y^2) [/itex], to find [itex] g(a,b) [/itex], you must sum [itex] p_{XY}(x,y) [/itex] over all combinations of [itex] (x,y) [/itex] that give [itex] x^2 = a [/itex] and [itex] y^2 = b [/itex].

Stephen Tashi said:
If [itex] g(r,s) [/itex] is the joint p.m.f of [itex] (X^2,Y^2) [/itex], to find [itex] g(a,b) [/itex], you must sum [itex] p_{XY}(x,y) [/itex] over all combinations of [itex] (x,y) [/itex] that give [itex] x^2 = a [/itex] and [itex] y^2 = b [/itex].

Ok, I am not getting the idea very well. Let me try to write an equation of this. Using your notation, we have:

[tex]g(a,b)=\sum_{(x,y)}p_{X,Y}(x:x^2=a,y:y^2=b)[/tex]

where : means such that. So, we have the following choices of x and y that satisfy the equation:

[tex]x=\pm a \text{ and }y=\pm b[/tex]

Am I right so far?

You meant [itex] \sqrt{a} [/itex] and [itex] \sqrt{b} [/itex], but yes, that's the general idea.

Stephen Tashi said:
You meant [itex] \sqrt{a} [/itex] and [itex] \sqrt{b} [/itex], but yes, that's the general idea.

Yes you are right, the square root of the values. So, for the example I gave previously, we have the following:

[tex]g(a,b)=\left\{\begin{array}{cc}0.4&a=b=1\\0.6&a=b=4\end{array}\right.[/tex]

right?

Right

Stephen Tashi said:
Right

Thank you so much.

1. What is a probability mass function (PMF)?

A probability mass function is a mathematical function that describes the probability of a discrete random variable taking on a certain value. It assigns a probability to each possible outcome of the random variable, and the sum of all probabilities is equal to 1.

2. How is a PMF different from a probability density function (PDF)?

A PMF is used for discrete random variables, while a PDF is used for continuous random variables. A PMF gives the probability of specific values occurring, while a PDF gives the probability of a range of values occurring.

3. What is the relationship between PMF and marginal probability?

The PMF is used to calculate the marginal probability of a specific outcome by summing the probabilities of all the possible outcomes for that variable. This allows us to determine the probability of a specific event occurring, regardless of the values of other variables.

4. How is the PMF used in statistical analysis?

The PMF is used to calculate probabilities for discrete random variables, which are often used in statistical analysis. It allows us to make predictions about the likelihood of certain outcomes and to compare different scenarios.

5. Can the PMF be used for continuous random variables?

No, the PMF can only be used for discrete random variables. For continuous random variables, we use a probability density function (PDF) to describe the probability of a range of values occurring.