QuickCam Astrophotography: Tips for Stunning Night Sky Photos

In summary, the conversation was about astrophotography and the use of a 60mm refractor and quickcam. The speaker shared a downscaled image of their first attempt and mentioned their plans to photograph the sun, Saturn, and the Orion Nebula with new hardware. They recommended the quickcam for affordable astrophotography and provided a source for more information. They also discussed their plans to photograph Saturn and mentioned a fantastic image taken by someone else with a similar telescope. The speaker then shared their excitement about purchasing a new telescope and their plans to use it to photograph Jupiter.
russ_watters
Mentor
Inspired by http://www.usno.navy.mil/pao/QuickCamAstro.shtml [Broken], I've started using my 60mm refractor and a quickcam for astrophotography. Attached is one of my first pics (downsampled from 640x480 - I'll have to put up a website). I used a 15 second video clip combined into one photo and processed with RegiStax.

I have some new hardware coming for my scope, and my next targets will be the sun, Saturn, and the Orion Nebula.

Attachments

• moon1.jpg
    moon1.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 512
Last edited by a moderator:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
For anyone wishing to try their hand at astrophotography on the cheap, quickcam is the bomb. Here is a very nice source for nuts and bolts information.
http://www.ghgcorp.com/cshaw/quickcam.htm [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Next up...Saturn! I was a little disappointed with the raw images, but the processing helped a lot.

Attachments

• saturn.jpg
    saturn.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 581
Russ, did you see the Saturn image on ghgcorp? It was fantastic for a mere 8" Celestron. They have a link to a great digitizing program I think you would like.

Chronos said:
Russ, did you see the Saturn image on ghgcorp? It was fantastic for a mere 8" Celestron. They have a link to a great digitizing program I think you would like.
No, I don't see it. I'm going to need to spend some time surfing that site and the links - it looks great.

Anyway - it only took 46 hours from when I took those first pictures of Saturn that I realized I just had to have a new telescope. It really is a disease... So I ordered one of THESE: A 114mm Newtonian reflector with full go-to capability for $380. Not bad at all. I may need to pull an all-nighter this weekend to see Jupiter...

What is QuickCam Astrophotography?

QuickCam Astrophotography is a method of capturing images of celestial objects using a QuickCam camera. It involves connecting the camera to a telescope and using specialized software to capture and process the images.

What equipment is needed for QuickCam Astrophotography?

In order to perform QuickCam Astrophotography, you will need a QuickCam camera, a telescope, a computer, and specialized software. You may also need additional accessories such as a mount, filters, and a remote shutter release.

What types of celestial objects can be captured with QuickCam Astrophotography?

QuickCam Astrophotography can be used to capture a wide range of celestial objects including planets, stars, galaxies, and nebulae. However, the size and brightness of the object and the capabilities of your equipment will determine the quality of the image.

What are the key tips for successful QuickCam Astrophotography?

To achieve the best results with QuickCam Astrophotography, it is important to have a stable setup, use appropriate camera settings, and have a good understanding of the software used for processing the images. It is also important to have patience and practice regularly.

Can QuickCam Astrophotography be done by beginners?

QuickCam Astrophotography can be challenging for beginners, but with proper equipment, techniques, and practice, it is possible to achieve great results. It is recommended to start with easier targets such as the moon and planets before moving on to more challenging objects.