Solving 2-Unknown Algebra Problems: A Challenge!

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of solving physics problems with multiple unknowns and the importance of having enough information to solve for all unknowns. The person is seeking algebra problems with two unknowns to improve their skills and a conversation about using matrices to solve equations is also mentioned.
Warwick
Well, my physics teacher loves to make his problems hard, so he makes the physics portion of the problem med difficulty but he makes it so you have to solve with more than 1 unknown present. With big problems on forces I get lost in the algebra so.. I'm trying to improve my algebra skills. If anyone could give a couple algebra problems with 2 unknowns and solve for both, I would be grateful. Give me some nasty ones :)

I was making one up my self and couldn't figure it out.
8=2(2^2)
8=x(k^2)
I tired solving that but I couldn't get the answer, :yuck:

thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If you have more than 1 unknown, you need more than 1 equation, unless you want one unknown in terms of the others.

8 = xk^2 => k = (8/x)^1/2

It is impossible to get k (or x) with such little info.

http://www.ping.be/~ping1339/index.html#Main-Purpose-=-MATH-

Just look at systems of linear equations and look also under matrices and determinants...

regards
marlon

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm, yes I remember doing these(not how, heh), never understood the use of them then. So this will work when I have 3 sum of the forces equations in physics when there is more than one unknown?

Can you show me how you would go about solving this one?

u=.065,m=2.5,a=0.12,g=9.8

Tcos20-ukn-mgsin25=ma
n-mgcos25+Tsin20=0

Well this one has only 1 unknown but can you use that matrice technique on it?

not necessary, you only need the first equation.

ukn = -ma -mdsin25 + Tcos20

that's all

regards
marlon

1. What are 2-unknown algebra problems?

2-unknown algebra problems are equations or equations systems that involve two unknown variables, usually represented by x and y. These types of problems require the use of algebraic methods to find the values of the unknown variables.

2. How do you solve 2-unknown algebra problems?

To solve 2-unknown algebra problems, you need to use algebraic methods such as substitution, elimination, and graphing. First, identify the unknown variables and write down the given information in the form of equations. Then, use the appropriate method to solve for the unknown variables.

3. What are the common challenges when solving 2-unknown algebra problems?

One of the common challenges when solving 2-unknown algebra problems is knowing which algebraic method to use. Sometimes, it may also be difficult to manipulate the equations to get the unknown variables on one side and the known values on the other side. Additionally, keeping track of multiple equations and variables can also be a challenge.

4. How can I improve my skills in solving 2-unknown algebra problems?

The best way to improve your skills in solving 2-unknown algebra problems is through practice. Start with simple problems and gradually increase the difficulty level. You can also seek help from a tutor or use online resources such as practice worksheets and video tutorials.

5. Are 2-unknown algebra problems relevant in real life?

Yes, 2-unknown algebra problems are relevant in real life as they can help in solving various real-world problems such as calculating distances, finding the intersection point of two lines, and determining the relationship between two variables. They are also commonly used in fields such as engineering, physics, and economics.