Algebra - Finding the Order of an Element from the Size if It's Conjugacy Class

In summary, the speaker is struggling with some homework problems related to a group G with |G|=n and a conjugacy class C(x) with |C(x)|=m. They mention using the center of G to determine the order of the element x, and explain that since m | n, the centralizer of x has an order of q. They also mention that x is not an element of the center, which has an order of at most q-1. The speaker is seeking additional problems to practice these concepts.
Szichedelic
Sorry about the long title. I recently had a few homework problems which were similar to the title of the post. I struggled a bit with them so I'm trying to find additional problems to work on until I can master these ideas...

Basically, if we have a group G s.t. |G|=n, and we know G has a conjugacy class C(x) s.t. |C(x)|=m, what can we say about the order of the element x? I know we can work with the center. i.e., since m | n, we have that n=mq for some integer q, which imples that the centralizer of x is s.t. |Z(x)|=q (by the counting formula). Moreover, since Z(x) contains the center of G, Z(G), and since |Z(x)|≠n, x is not an element of the center. Hence, Z(G) has an order of at most the largest integer smaller than q-1 which divides n.

Sorry if this is convoluted. I repeat, this isn't a homework problem (anymore) but merely something I'm trying to rectify in my head.

Physics news on Phys.org
If anyone can help me find examples to work on, that would be great as well.

1. What is the definition of algebra?

Algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with the manipulation of symbols to solve equations and study the properties of mathematical operations.

2. What is the order of an element in algebra?

In algebra, the order of an element refers to the number of times the element must be multiplied by itself to yield the identity element, which is typically denoted as "e".

3. How do I find the order of an element from the size of its conjugacy class?

To find the order of an element from the size of its conjugacy class, you can use the formula: order of element = size of conjugacy class / number of distinct conjugates. This formula is derived from the fact that the size of a conjugacy class is equal to the order of the group divided by the order of the centralizer of the element.

4. What is a conjugacy class in algebra?

A conjugacy class is a set of elements in a group that are related by a specific operation, known as conjugation. In other words, elements in the same conjugacy class are considered equivalent under the given operation.

5. Why is finding the order of an element important in algebra?

Finding the order of an element is important in algebra because it allows us to understand the structure and properties of the group in which the element belongs. It can also help in solving equations and determining the subgroups of a given group.