Solving Minimizing Arc Length: Euler-Lagrange Equations

In summary, the problem asks for the curve on the surface z=x^(3/2) that minimizes arc length between the points (0,0,0) and (1,1,1). The functional for this problem is sqrt(1+(dy/dx)^2 + 9x/4). The next step involves taking derivatives and substituting into the Euler-Lagrange equation, while applying the initial conditions of the endpoints of the curve. The conversation suggests that the person is on the right track with their solution.
don_anon25
The problem I am working on asks me to find the curve on the surface z=x^(3/2) which minimizes arc length and connects the points (0,0,0) and (1,1,1).
Here's what I did:
Integral [sqrt(dx^2+dy^2+dz^2)]
Integral [dx sqrt (1+(dy/dx)^2 +(dz/dx)^2]
Integral [dx sqrt (1 + (dy/dx)^2 + 9x/4)] since dz = 3/2 x^(1/2) dx

Thus the "functional" is sqrt (1 + (dy/dx)^2 + 9x/4).

Can I now take derivatives and substitute directly into the Euler-Lagrange equation and solve for y? Where/how do I apply the initial conditions -- that the endpoints are (0,0,0) and (1,1,1)?

Am I on the right track with this one?

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks like you're doing ok to me. In this case the constants of integration are obtained from the boundary conditions i.e. y(0) = z(0) = 0 and y(1) = z(1) = 1.

1. What is the Euler-Lagrange equation?

The Euler-Lagrange equation is a mathematical formula used to find the function that minimizes a given integral. It is commonly used in the field of calculus of variations, and is named after the mathematicians Leonhard Euler and Joseph-Louis Lagrange.

2. How is the Euler-Lagrange equation used to solve for minimizing arc length?

The Euler-Lagrange equation can be used to find the function that minimizes the arc length by setting up an integral that represents the arc length and then finding the derivative of this integral. This derivative is then set equal to zero, and the resulting equation is solved to find the function that minimizes the arc length.

3. What is the relationship between the Euler-Lagrange equation and the principle of least action?

The Euler-Lagrange equation is derived from the principle of least action, which states that the path taken by a system between two points is the one that minimizes the action (the integral of the Lagrangian function). This is why the Euler-Lagrange equation is often referred to as the "equation of motion" for a system.

4. Can the Euler-Lagrange equation be used to solve for other optimization problems?

Yes, the Euler-Lagrange equation can be used to solve for various optimization problems in mathematics and physics, such as finding the function that minimizes surface area or maximizes energy. It is a powerful tool in calculus of variations and is widely used in many different fields.

5. What are some applications of the Euler-Lagrange equation in real life?

The Euler-Lagrange equation has many practical applications in engineering, physics, and economics. It is used to optimize control systems, find the shortest path between two points, and determine the shape of an object that minimizes drag. It is also used in the study of fluid dynamics, quantum mechanics, and elasticity, among others.