Modifying Euler-Lagrange equation to multivariable function

In summary, the conversation discusses deriving the multidimensional generalization of the Euler-Lagrange equation for a multivariable function in field theory. The equation is derived by taking the variation of the action with respect to the field and performing integration by parts, resulting in the equation: $$\frac{\delta S}{\delta \phi} = \frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial \phi} - \partial_{\mu} \frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial (\partial_{\mu} \phi)}.$$
offscene
Homework Statement
Not exactly homework but I was reading through the book "QFT for the gifted amateur by Lancaster and Blundell" and I was confused about how the line just above equation 1.33 is derived (Image attached below).
Relevant Equations
Euler Lagrange equation, the principle of least action.
Screen Shot 2023-06-06 at 5.15.42 PM.png

I'm confused on how to derive the multidimensional generalization for a multivariable function. Everything makes sense here except the line,

$$
\frac{\delta S}{\delta \psi} = \frac{\partial L}{\partial \psi} - \frac{d}{dx} \frac{\partial L}{\partial(\frac{\partial \psi}{\partial x})} - \frac{d}{dt} \frac{\partial L}{\partial(\frac{\partial \psi}{\partial t})}
$$ and I'm confused about which rule I can use to derive this form of the Euler-Lagrange equation.

Physics news on Phys.org
In field theory your Lagrangian is given by the spaticial integral of the Lagrange density ##\mathcal{L}(\phi,\partial_{\mu} \phi)## and thus the action as an integral over spacetime
$$S[\phi]=\int \mathrm{d}^4 x \mathcal{L}(\phi,\partial_{\mu} \phi).$$
In the above example oviously the author considers a field theory in (1+1)-dimensional spacetime, but that doesn't change much. So for clarity I assume here the full case of a (1+3)-dimensional spacetime.

Now note that the gradient of the field, ##\partial_{\mu} \phi=\frac{\partial \phi}{\partial x^{\mu}}## has four components. Now you take the variation of the action wrt. the field,
$$\delta S[\phi]=S[\phi+\delta \phi]-S[\phi]=\int \mathrm{d}^4 x \left [\delta \phi \frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial \phi} + \partial_{\mu} \delta \phi \frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial (\partial_{\mu} \phi)} \right ].$$
Note that here the Einstein summation convention has been used, i.e., in the second term in the bracket you sum over ##\mu## from ##0## to ##3##. That's because the Lagrange density depends on all four components of the field gradient, ##\partial_{\mu} \phi##, and it's just the chain rule of multivariable calculus used here. It's pretty much the same as in point-particle mechanics, only that in this case the independent variables ##q(t)## are functions only of ##t##.

To get the Euler-Lagrange equations you just have to do an integration by parts in this 2nd term, using the assumption that ##\delta \phi## vanishes at the boundaries of the integration domain. Then you get
$$\delta S=\int \mathrm{d}^4 x \delta \phi \left [\frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial \phi} - \partial_{\mu} \frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial (\partial_{\mu} \phi)} \right ],$$
i.e.,
$$\frac{\delta S}{\delta \phi} = \frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial \phi} - \partial_{\mu} \frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial (\partial_{\mu} \phi)}.$$
If you write this out and restricting yourself to (1+1)D spacetime you get the result given in the book.

Likes jbergman and offscene

1. What is the Euler-Lagrange equation?

The Euler-Lagrange equation is a mathematical tool used in the calculus of variations to find the function that minimizes a given functional. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to find the path or shape that a system will take in order to minimize a certain quantity, such as energy or time.

2. How is the Euler-Lagrange equation modified for multivariable functions?

For multivariable functions, the Euler-Lagrange equation is modified to include partial derivatives with respect to each variable. This results in a system of partial differential equations that must be solved simultaneously to find the function that minimizes the functional.

3. What is the significance of modifying the Euler-Lagrange equation for multivariable functions?

Modifying the Euler-Lagrange equation for multivariable functions allows for a more accurate and comprehensive analysis of systems with multiple variables. It allows for a deeper understanding of the relationships between variables and how they affect the overall system.

4. What are some common applications of modifying the Euler-Lagrange equation for multivariable functions?

Some common applications include optimizing the shape of objects, such as airplane wings or bridges, to minimize drag or stress, and finding the optimal path for a robot to move through a complex environment while avoiding obstacles.

5. Are there any limitations to modifying the Euler-Lagrange equation for multivariable functions?

One limitation is that the modified equation can become very complex and difficult to solve for systems with a large number of variables. Additionally, it may not be applicable to systems with non-differentiable or discontinuous functions, as the Euler-Lagrange equation relies on the assumption of smoothness.