Exactness of a differential form

In summary, the conversation discusses a manifold M = R^2 with a standard differential structure and a 1-form \omega. It also introduces a function f on M and shows that df = \omega when dw = 0. The conversation then uses a hint to rewrite f(x) and tries to apply the fact that d\omega = 0 to show that the differential of the integral terms in f(x) should be zero. The conversation concludes with a request for a hint on how to proceed.
Pietjuh
Suppose your manifold is just M = R^2 with the standard differential structure (so the atlas is {(R^2, id, R^2)}). Suppose we have a 1-form [tex]\omega[/tex] on M. Then ofcourse [tex]\omega = a_1 dx_1 + a_2 dx_2[/tex], where the a_i are just c-infinity functions from R^2 to R. Suppose we have a function f on M defined as follows:

[tex]f(x) = x_1 \int_0^1 a_1(tx) dt + x_2 \int_0^1 a_2(tx) dt[/tex]

Show that df = w when dw = 0. Use the fact that:

[tex]\frac{d}{dt}(t a(tx)) = a(tx) + tx_1 \frac{\partial a}{\partial x_1}(tx) + tx_2 \frac{\partial a}{\partial x_2}(tx)[/tex]

Using this hint i rewrote f(x):

[tex]f(x) = a_1 (x)x_1 + a_2 (x)x_2 - x_1^2 \int_0^1 t\frac{\partial a_1}{\partial x_1}dt - x_2^2 \int_0^1 t \frac{\partial a_2}{\partial x_2}dt - x_1 x_2 \int_0^1 t\left(\frac{\partial a_1}{\partial x_2} + \frac{\partial a_2}{\partial x_1}\right) dt[/tex]

Now I want to use the fact that [tex]d\omega = 0[/tex]
This means that:

[tex]d\omega = d(a_1 dx_1 + a_2 dx_2) = d(a_1)\wedge dx_1 + d(a_2)\wedge dx_2 = \left(\frac{\partial a_2}{\partial x_1} - \frac{\partial a_1}{\partial x_2}\right) dx_1 \wedge dx_2
[/tex]

so [tex]\frac{\partial a_2}{\partial x_1} = \frac{\partial a_1}{\partial x_2}[/tex]

If somehow df = w, the differential of the integral terms in f(x) should be zero. But I don't see how i could show that.

Could someone give me a hint? :smile:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you just need to apply d to f and see that df=w+dw, or perhpas w+Cdw for some object C, then under the hypotheses that dw=0 you're done.

ie take this line

[tex]f(x) = a_1 (x)x_1 + a_2 (x)x_2 - x_1^2 \int_0^1 t\frac{\partial a_1}{\partial x_1}dt - x_2^2 \int_0^1 t \frac{\partial a_2}{\partial x_2}dt - x_1 x_2 \int_0^1 t\left(\frac{\partial a_1}{\partial x_2} + \frac{\partial a_2}{\partial x_1}\right) dt[/tex]

and apply d to it, notice that d kills the first two terms on the RHS (since that is w) by assumption, in theory what should pop out is w, but I'm not quick enough to see that, and too lazy to check. It just strikes me that you're yet to work out what df is.

I don't completely agree with you. You said the first two terms, [tex]a_1(x)x_1 + a_2(x)x_2 = \omega[/tex]. But this isn't true. The differential, [tex]d(a_1(x)x_1 + a_2(x)x_2) = a_1 dx_1 + a_2 dx_2 = \omega[/tex] of these two terms equals [tex]\omega[/tex].
Another reason why your statement can't be true is that [tex]a_1(x)x_1 + a_2(x)x_2[/tex] is just a function so a 0-form, and [tex]\omega[/tex] is a 1-form.

sorry, read it too quickly,

In any case, applying d to f would seem to be the best place to start wouldn't you agree?

I think you overly focused on the wrong part of my answer there given by your length of response to something that was simply wrong; you didn't have to prove it was wrong, just point out that i misread it.

in this case d should kill the other terms, shuldn't it?

Last edited:
Yeah d should kill the other terms but the question is how! :smile:

When i apply d for example I get a bunch of messy derivatives and stuff, and i really don't see how this could be zero:mad:

What is the definition of exactness for a differential form?

The concept of exactness for a differential form refers to the property of being the exterior derivative of another differential form. This means that the form can be obtained by taking the derivative of another form, similar to how a function can be obtained by taking the derivative of another function.

How is exactness related to closedness?

Exactness and closedness are closely related concepts in differential forms. A differential form is exact if and only if it is closed, meaning that its exterior derivative is equal to zero. This relationship is known as Poincaré's lemma, and it is a fundamental result in differential geometry.

What does it mean for a differential form to be closed but not exact?

A closed but not exact differential form is also referred to as a "coclosed" form. This means that the form is closed, but cannot be written as the exterior derivative of another form. Examples of such forms include harmonic forms in Riemannian geometry and closed but not exact 1-forms in two dimensions.

What is the significance of exactness for differential forms?

The concept of exactness is important in the study of differential forms because it allows for the integration of forms over chains. If a differential form is exact, then its integral over a chain only depends on the endpoints of the chain, making it easier to compute integrals in practice.

How can one determine if a given differential form is exact or not?

Determining whether a differential form is exact or not can be done using the Poincaré's lemma. If the form is closed, then it is exact. However, if the form is not closed, then it is not exact. In certain cases, such as in two dimensions, there are other methods that can be used to determine exactness, such as using the Hodge star operator.