Second order differential equation problem

In summary, the second order linear equation z" + c(t)z = 0, where c(t) is a continuous real-valued function of a real variable, can be analyzed for oscillatory or non-oscillatory solutions. The criteria for non-oscillatory solutions is when c(t) < (1 - epsilon)/(4t^2) for t>=1, where epsilon > 0. For oscillatory solutions, c(t) > (1+epsilon)/(4t^2) for t>=1, where epsilon > 0. The solution can be found analytically using Euler-Cauchy form and the cases hinge upon the quantity inside the radicals.
ODEMath
Consider the second order linear equation

z" + c(t)z = 0
Where c(t) is a continuous real-valued function of a real variable.

(a) Show that every (nontrivial) solution of this equation is non-oscillatory if c(t) < (1 - epsilon)/(4t^2) for t>=1, where epsilon > 0 is a real number.

(b)Show that every (nontrivial) solution of this equation is oscillatory if c(t) > (1+epsilon)/(4t^2) for t>=1, where epsilon > 0 is a real number.

Physics news on Phys.org
ODEMath said:
Consider the second order linear equation
z" + c(t)z = 0
Where c(t) is a continuous real-valued function of a real variable.
(a) Show that every (nontrivial) solution of this equation is non-oscillatory if c(t) < (1 - epsilon)/(4t^2) for t>=1, where epsilon > 0 is a real number.
(b)Show that every (nontrivial) solution of this equation is oscillatory if c(t) > (1+epsilon)/(4t^2) for t>=1, where epsilon > 0 is a real number.

ODE, not sure of your intentions about this interesting problem (my view anyway), but if I were to be confronted with such a task I would frist, before doing anything analytically, just solve a few of them numerically (cus it's easy that way in Mathematica esp. with 'EquationTrekker') just to see what's going on qualitatively with this, then I suppose I'd look into the criteria for underdamping, overdamping, critial damping, then start to approach it analytically.

Just for closure I'd like to complete this problem since I hate not being able to solve something I feel I'm capable of (hope you guys don't mind):

For starters damping does not enter into the equation since the first derivative is absent. Ideally then one seeks to find an analytical expression for the solution and then analyze it for the various restrictions indicated above for c(t). It took me a while but after an hour or two (I'm never gonna' get good at this stuf), I realized the equation is in Euler-Cauchy form:

[tex]4x^2 y^{''}+0xy^{'}+a(1+\epsilon)y=0[/tex]

Note that I'm using the parameter 'a' to distinguish the two cases above:

[tex] \frac{a(1+\epsilon)}{4t^2}<\frac{1+\epsilon}{4t^2}\:\text{when}\:a<1\:\text{and}\:\epsilon<0[/tex]

[tex] \frac{a(1+\epsilon)}{4t^2}>\frac{1+\epsilon}{4t^2}\:\text{when}\:a>1\:\text{and}\:\epsilon>0[/tex]

Letting:

[tex]y(t)=t^{m}[/tex]

and substituting into the ODE and solving for the auxiliary equation:

[tex]4m^2-4m+a(1+\epsilon)=0[/tex]

or:

[tex]m=\frac{1}{2}\pm\frac{1}{2}\sqrt{1-a(1+\epsilon)}[/tex]

The solution then becomes:

[tex]y(t)=c_1t^{1/2+1/2\sqrt{1-a(1+\epsilon)}}+
c_2t^{1/2-1/2\sqrt{1-a(1+\epsilon)}}[/tex]

Thus becoming clear that the two cases hinge upon the quantity inside the radicals. That is, when:

[tex]1\geq a(1+\epsilon)[/tex]

the solution is non-oscillatory and exponential in form as indicated above. This of course will be the case when a<1 and [itex]\epsilon<0[/itex].

However if:

[tex]a(1+\epsilon)>1[/tex]

then complex roots enter the solution. Using Euler's expansion of such and noting that:

[tex]x^{a+bi}=x^ae^{ibln(x)}[/tex]

the solution becomes:

[tex]y(t)=c_1x^{1/2}Cos[1/2\sqrt{a(1+\epsilon)-1}ln(t)]+
c_2x^{1/2}Sin[1/2\sqrt{a(1+\epsilon)-1}ln(t)][/tex]

[tex]\:\text{when}\:a>1\:\text{and}\:\epsilon>0[/tex]

Which of course is oscillatory.

Ok, I'm done.:smile:

Last edited:

1. What is a second order differential equation?

A second order differential equation is a mathematical equation that involves the second derivative of a function. It is used to describe the relationship between a function and its rate of change.

2. What is the difference between a first order and second order differential equation?

A first order differential equation involves the first derivative of a function, while a second order differential equation involves the second derivative. This means that a second order differential equation is more complex and requires more information to solve.

3. What are some real-life applications of second order differential equations?

Second order differential equations are used in many fields of science and engineering, including physics, chemistry, biology, and economics. Some examples include modeling the motion of a pendulum, predicting population growth, and analyzing the behavior of electrical circuits.

4. What are the steps for solving a second order differential equation?

The steps for solving a second order differential equation depend on the specific equation and its initial conditions. In general, the steps involve reducing the equation to a standard form, identifying the particular solution, and using initial conditions to solve for any unknown constants.

5. Are there any special techniques for solving second order differential equations?

Yes, there are several special techniques that can be used to solve specific types of second order differential equations. These include the method of undetermined coefficients, variation of parameters, and Laplace transforms.