Magnetic field at center of rectangular loop

In summary, to find the magnetic field at the center of a rectangular loop with sides 2a and 2b, you can use the equations B_{A} = \frac{\mu_{0} i}{2 \pi B} \frac{A}{\sqrt{\frac{A^2}{4} + B^2}} and B_{B} = \frac{\mu_{0} i}{2 \pi B} \frac{B}{\sqrt{\frac{B^2}{4} + A^2}} for the sides with lengths 2a and 2b respectively. However, it is important to remember that magnetic fields are vectors and must be added using vector addition if they
stunner5000pt
Find the magnetic field at the center of a rectangular loop with sides 2a and 2b.

well ok due to the sides with length 2a
[tex] B_{A} = \frac{\mu_{0} i}{2 \pi B} \frac{A}{\sqrt{\frac{A^2}{4} + B^2}} [/tex]

and due to 2B sides
[tex] B_{B} = \frac{\mu_{0} i}{2 \pi B} \frac{B}{\sqrt{\frac{B^2}{4} + A^2}} [/tex]

adding these two up yields the answer? Is this right? Please advise! Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Don't forget that magnetic fields are vectors, and so they obey vector addition. So it is not correct to add up the magnitudes of two magnetic fields unless they are parallel everywhere.

And of course it goes without saying that if your fields vary with position, then they have to be referenced to the same coordinate system.

FAQ: Magnetic field at center of rectangular loop

What is a rectangular loop?

A rectangular loop is a shape formed by four straight sides, with two opposite sides being longer than the other two. It is commonly used in electrical circuits and can generate a magnetic field when a current flows through it.

What is the center of a rectangular loop?

The center of a rectangular loop is the point where the two longer sides intersect. It is also known as the midpoint or the centroid of the loop.

How is the magnetic field at the center of a rectangular loop calculated?

The magnetic field at the center of a rectangular loop can be calculated using the equation B = μ₀I/2a, where B is the magnetic field strength, μ₀ is the permeability of free space, I is the current flowing through the loop, and a is the length of the longer side of the loop.

What factors can affect the magnetic field at the center of a rectangular loop?

The magnetic field at the center of a rectangular loop can be affected by the strength of the current flowing through the loop, the size and shape of the loop, and the distance between the loop and any external magnetic sources.

What are some practical applications of understanding the magnetic field at the center of a rectangular loop?

Understanding the magnetic field at the center of a rectangular loop is important in designing and analyzing electrical circuits. It is also used in technologies such as electric motors, generators, and transformers.

Back