Crash Course in Chem: Enthalpy, Bombo Calorimeter & Molecular Weight/Moles

In summary, the person is looking for resources to learn about enthalpy, bombo calorimeter, and equations related to molecular weight and moles. They have a physics background and are seeking assistance with their chemistry knowledge. They have no idea where to start and are grateful for any help. A potential resource suggested is Chemistry in the Community (ChemCom).
gothicpie
Does anyone have any links or places for me to look for a crash course in enthalpy, bombo calorimeter, and equations dealing with molecular weight or moles in general?

I took a physics class worried about my lack of chemistry background, but everyone told me not to worry about it... Well, getting into Thermodynamics and a attempting a few "refresher" chem problems has told me otherwise.

I don't even have any idea where to start looking. Thanks for the help in davance. :smile:

Chemistry news on Phys.org
gothicpie said:
Does anyone have any links or places for me to look for a crash course in enthalpy, bombo calorimeter, and equations dealing with molecular weight or moles in general?
I took a physics class worried about my lack of chemistry background, but everyone told me not to worry about it... Well, getting into Thermodynamics and a attempting a few "refresher" chem problems has told me otherwise.
I don't even have any idea where to start looking. Thanks for the help in davance. :smile:

try browsing through

Chemistry in the Community (ChemCom)
http://www.chemistry.org/portal/a/c/s/1/acsdisplay.html?DOC=education%5Ccurriculum%5Cchemcom.html

Hi there! It's great that you're seeking out resources to improve your understanding of enthalpy, the bombo calorimeter, and equations related to molecular weight and moles. Don't worry, we've all been there at some point in our studies. Here are a few links and places you can look for a crash course in these topics:

1. Khan Academy: This website offers free, comprehensive video lessons on a wide range of topics, including chemistry. They have a dedicated section on thermodynamics, which covers enthalpy and calorimetry. You can also find lessons on calculating molecular weight and moles.

2. Crash Course Chemistry: This YouTube channel has a series of videos that cover various chemistry topics, including thermodynamics and stoichiometry (which involves calculating moles and molecular weight). The videos are engaging and easy to understand, making it a great resource for a crash course.

3. Chemguide: This website has a section on enthalpy and calorimetry, which includes explanations, examples, and practice problems. They also have a section on the mole concept and calculating molecular weight, which may be helpful for your studies.

4. Your textbook or lecture notes: If you have access to a chemistry textbook or your lecture notes, these can also be valuable resources for reviewing these topics. Make sure to read through the relevant sections and try out the practice problems.

Remember, practice makes perfect, so don't be afraid to work through practice problems and seek out additional resources if you need more help. Good luck with your studies!

1. What is enthalpy and how does it relate to chemical reactions?

Enthalpy is a measure of the total energy of a system. In chemical reactions, enthalpy is often used to describe the amount of heat released or absorbed during a reaction. It is represented by the symbol "H" and is measured in units of joules (J) or kilojoules (kJ).

2. What is a bomb calorimeter and how is it used in chemistry?

A bomb calorimeter is a device used to measure the heat released or absorbed during a chemical reaction. It consists of a sealed metal container (or "bomb") surrounded by water and an ignition source. The reaction takes place inside the bomb, and the change in temperature of the surrounding water is used to calculate the enthalpy of the reaction.

3. How do I calculate the molecular weight of a compound?

To calculate the molecular weight of a compound, you need to know the atomic weights of each element in the compound and the number of atoms of each element present. Simply add up the atomic weights of each element to get the total molecular weight. For example, the molecular weight of water (H2O) would be calculated as (2 x atomic weight of hydrogen) + (1 x atomic weight of oxygen).

4. What is Avogadro's number and how is it used in chemistry?

Avogadro's number is a constant (6.02 x 10^23) that represents the number of particles in one mole of a substance. In chemistry, it is used to convert between moles and the number of particles (such as atoms or molecules) in a given sample. It is also used to calculate the molecular weight of a compound.

5. How do I convert between moles and grams?

To convert from moles to grams, you need to know the molar mass (in grams per mole) of the substance. Multiply the number of moles by the molar mass to get the mass in grams. To convert from grams to moles, divide the mass in grams by the molar mass. This conversion is often used in stoichiometry calculations to determine the amount of reactants and products in a chemical reaction.