Understanding Voltage and Current Relationships in Inductors and Capacitors

• Thread starter leright
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ice
In summary, the relationship between voltage and current in inductors and capacitors can be explained through the phasor equations V = j(omega)LI and I = j(omega)CV, where omega is frequency and I and V are the current and voltage phasors. By plugging in the phasors and converting them from exponential form to trigonometric form, it can be seen that voltage leads current in inductors and current leads voltage in capacitors by 90 degrees. The phasor notation can also be derived from the exponential function and multiplying by j represents a 90 degree counterclockwise rotation on the phasor diagram.
leright
This is probably a stupid question, and I realized the answer before, and I know my professor explained this in class, but why does voltage lead current for inductors and current lead voltage for capacitors. I don't want a physical explanation but a mathematical one. I am looking at my circuits notes and my professor states that it is obvious from the following equations that this is true.

V = j(omega)LI and I = j(omega)CV, where omega is frequency and I and V are the current and voltage phasors.

I know this is stupid because I was able to answer this question myself fairly easily just by looking at the equations, but now I look at them again and cannot answer this question for the life of me. SOMEONE HELP ME! :(

If I can't figure this out on my own then I will ask my professor tomorrow, but I'd rather not ask such a question since he states that it is obvious in his lecture notes.

Thanks a lot.edit: I suppose if you plug the phasors into the above equations and then convert them from exponential form to trigonometric form using euler's identity the sine expression becomes the real part (formerly the imaginary part) and then the cosine expression becomes the imaginary part (formerly the real part). Making the sine expression the real part would make the wave 90 degrees out of phase. Is this correct? I remember realizing the answer to this question before and my reasoning seemed much simpler.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Just write the differential equations for voltage and current in the two situations.

V = L di/dt

I = C dv/dt

And remember that when you differentiate a sine wave, you get the cosine function. So current lags the voltage in an inductor, and voltage lags the current in a capacitor. Make sense?

berkeman said:
Just write the differential equations for voltage and current in the two situations.

V = L di/dt

I = C dv/dt

And remember that when you differentiate a sine wave, you get the cosine function. So current lags the voltage in an inductor, and voltage lags the current in a capacitor. Make sense?

yes, but I wanted to know why the above phasor relationships explain it, since my notes say that they do.

Do you know where the phasor notation comes from? For the inductor case, write the current i(t) = exp(jwt) and differentiate. So di(t)/dt = jwi(t). You can also think of a multiplication by j as a counterclockwise rotation by 90 degrees on the phasor diagram...

Realizing that [tex] j = e^{j\frac{\pi}{2}} [/tex], multiplying by [tex]j[/tex] amounts to adding 90 degrees to the exponential. In elaboration of what berkeman has described:

[tex] V = L \frac{di}{dt}=L j \omega e^{j \omega t} = L \omega e^{j( \omega t + \frac {\pi}{2}) [/tex].
The output voltage (V) is ahead (leads) the input current (I) by 90 degrees through an inductor. (Plot it and you can see). By analogous reasoning, you can show current leading voltage by 90 degrees across a capacitor.

Last edited:
berkeman said:
Do you know where the phasor notation comes from? For the inductor case, write the current i(t) = exp(jwt) and differentiate. So di(t)/dt = jwi(t). You can also think of a multiplication by j as a counterclockwise rotation by 90 degrees on the phasor diagram...

yeah, I know where the phasor notation comes from. This description makes sense. Thanks a lot.

1. How are voltage and current related in an inductor?

In an inductor, voltage and current are directly proportional. This means that as the voltage across the inductor increases, the current through the inductor also increases. Similarly, as the voltage decreases, the current also decreases.

2. What is the relationship between current and voltage in a capacitor?

In a capacitor, the relationship between current and voltage is inverse. This means that as the voltage across the capacitor increases, the current through the capacitor decreases. And as the voltage decreases, the current increases.

3. How does an inductor affect the current in a circuit?

An inductor resists changes in current flow. This means that when the current in a circuit increases, the inductor will oppose the change by producing a voltage that limits the increase in current. Similarly, when the current decreases, the inductor will produce a voltage that limits the decrease in current.

4. Why does a capacitor block DC current?

A capacitor blocks DC current because it acts as an open circuit to direct current. This is because the capacitor is initially uncharged, so there is no voltage across it and therefore no current can flow through it. As the capacitor charges, it will eventually reach the same voltage as the source, allowing current to flow through it.

5. How does the frequency of the input signal affect the behavior of an inductor or capacitor?

The behavior of an inductor and capacitor is affected by the frequency of the input signal. At low frequencies, an inductor acts as a short circuit and a capacitor acts as an open circuit. As the frequency increases, the inductor's impedance increases and the capacitor's impedance decreases. This is why inductors are used to block high-frequency signals and capacitors are used to block low-frequency signals.