Inductor Circuit Simulation: Understanding Current Rise and Voltage Output

In summary, the conversation is about understanding an inductor circuit and simulating its behavior. The simulation shows that the inductor current should slowly increase from 0A to 500mA, but this is not seen in the waveform. The time constant for the circuit is also discussed and an equation is provided to calculate the current. Substituting values, the calculated current matches the simulated current. Finally, it is recommended to zoom into the first few microseconds of the transient waveform to see the LR time constant and to use specific parameters in the simulation to see the current rise over a specific time period.
PhysicsTest
TL;DR Summary
To understand the inductor circuit.
I am trying to understanding the inductor circuit. I have drawn the below circuit and try to simulate
1635602554158.png

The Inductor current comes to 500mA and Vout is 5V as per simulation. The current in inductor should slowly increase from 0A to 500mA but i cannot see that in the waveform. Is my understanding correct?

Engineering news on Phys.org
PhysicsTest said:
but i cannot see that in the waveform
Neither can we. What waveform ?
Do you have some equations to describe the behaviour of your circuit ?

##\ ##

Likes PhysicsTest
I'm not sure about "slowly".
The time constant for this circuit is L1/R1 = 10uSec.

Likes berkeman
1635604571909.png

This is the output waveform i can get. Ok now i started writing the equation for the circuit.
##i(t) = \frac{V} {R} (1 - e^{\frac{-Rt} L})##
Substituting the values
##i(1) = 5/10*(1 - e^{-10^5}) ##
##i = 0.5A##. The answer is matching.

Likes BvU
So zoom into the first few us of the transient waveform to see the LR time constant...

The DC analysis sets up 500 mA before the run.
You must use; V1 pulse; initial=0V; Von=5V; Tdelay=5usec;
and .TRAN stop time = 100 usec.
Then see the current rise over about 50 usec.
Inductor.png

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes BvU, PhysicsTest and berkeman

1. What is an inductor circuit?

An inductor circuit is a type of electrical circuit that contains an inductor, which is a passive electronic component that stores energy in the form of a magnetic field. Inductor circuits are commonly used in electronic devices such as radios, televisions, and computers.

2. How does an inductor circuit work?

An inductor circuit works by using the principle of electromagnetic induction, which states that a changing magnetic field will induce a voltage in a nearby conductor. When an electric current flows through an inductor, it creates a magnetic field around the inductor. This magnetic field then stores energy, which can be released when the current is interrupted or changed.

3. What is the purpose of analyzing an inductor circuit?

The purpose of analyzing an inductor circuit is to understand how it behaves under different conditions and to determine its electrical properties such as inductance, current, and voltage. This information is important for designing and troubleshooting electronic circuits.

4. What are some common applications of inductor circuits?

Inductor circuits have a wide range of applications in electronics, including power supplies, filters, oscillators, and amplifiers. They are also used in radio frequency (RF) circuits, where they are used to tune the frequency of the signal.

5. How do you calculate the inductance of an inductor circuit?

The inductance of an inductor circuit can be calculated using the formula L = NΦ/I, where L is the inductance in henries, N is the number of turns in the inductor, Φ is the magnetic flux, and I is the current flowing through the inductor. The inductance can also be measured using an inductance meter.