Understanding Mesh Analysis in Basic Circuit Analysis

In summary, the conversation is about a question for a midterm review. The speaker is struggling to understand a circuit diagram and has provided a link to their work. They have also clarified that they forgot to add a component to the diagram and that the current should run from high potential to low potential. They have now understood their mistake and are grateful for the help.
FrogPad
This is a question from a review for our midterm coming up soon. I don't understand what I am doing wrong and need some guidance. It would be rather tedious for you (the reader) to view an ASCII circuit, so here is a http://static.flickr.com/46/118451767_63645eb724_b.jpg"of my work:

http://static.flickr.com/46/118451767_63645eb724_b.jpg

Sorry for the link to another page. I couldn't resize it to upload to physicsforums because I don't have software on this computer to do it. I PROMISE it is just my work.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT:I forgot to draw [itex]V_x [/itex] on the circuit diagram! It is supposed to be over [tex] R_{4k\Omega} [/tex] with the labeled [tex] + [/tex] and [tex] - [/tex] right next to the loop 2 label.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
By Ohm's Law, [tex]V_x = (I_2 - I_3) \times 4000[/tex], thus [tex]I_1 = I_2-I_3[/tex], and not [tex]I_3-I_2[/tex] as you have written.

Yeah, I get ohms law, and that the voltage for Vx is a combination of I1 and I2 multiplied by the resistance. I don't understand WHY it is:

[tex] I1 = I2-I3 [/tex]

and not: [tex] I1= I3-I2 [/tex]

oh *shoot*... nevermind I got it now.

The current is going to run from the high potential to the low potential, from positive to negative. If the current is running from positive to negative then the current that runs along side it is a POSTIVE I2 and a NEGATIVE I3.

For some reason I was thinking that the current should run from negative to positive.cool. thanks.

1. What is mesh analysis?

Mesh analysis is a method for analyzing electric circuits that uses Kirchhoff's Voltage Law (KVL) to determine the voltage drops across each loop or mesh in the circuit. It is particularly useful for analyzing complex circuits that cannot be easily solved by other methods.

2. How does mesh analysis work?

In mesh analysis, the circuit is divided into smaller loops or meshes, with each mesh containing only one current source. The voltage drops across each mesh are then calculated using KVL, and these values can be used to determine the current flowing through each component in the circuit.

3. What are the advantages of using mesh analysis?

Mesh analysis is particularly useful for solving circuits that contain multiple current sources, as it eliminates the need for simultaneous equations. It also allows for a systematic approach to analyzing complex circuits, making it easier to understand and troubleshoot circuit behavior.

4. Are there any limitations to using mesh analysis?

While mesh analysis is a powerful tool for analyzing circuits, it does have some limitations. It can only be used for circuits that can be represented as a series of meshes, and it cannot be used for circuits that contain dependent voltage or current sources.

5. How is mesh analysis different from nodal analysis?

Both mesh analysis and nodal analysis are methods for solving circuits using Kirchhoff's laws. The main difference is that mesh analysis focuses on the voltage drops across each loop, while nodal analysis focuses on the currents flowing into and out of each node in the circuit. Depending on the circuit, one method may be more efficient or easier to use than the other.