Hook up an ObjectOutputStream to a corresponding ObjectInputStream

• Thread starter 0rthodontist
  • Start date
In summary, you can use PipedOutputStreams and PipedInputStreams to establish a communication channel between objects without using a socket. This allows for abstraction and communication between objects without prior knowledge of their connections. You can connect the pipes and pass data between them using the write and read methods. You can also create classes that extend from PipedOutputStreams and PipedInputStreams for a more object-oriented approach.
0rthodontist
Science Advisor
In Java, I want to hook up an ObjectOutputStream to a corresponding ObjectInputStream without a socket in between. My motivation is that I'm going to have a bunch of objects with neigbhors, but the objects will be hooked up to their neighbors by a separate method (the objects should not need to have a priori knowledge of how they are hooked up). How can I do this?

I could just have each object store references to its neighbors, and have functions to interact directly with the neighbors, but I'd prefer the abstraction of a stream if it's possible.

Edit: never mind, I figured it out (PipedOutputStreams).

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there,

It sounds like you are looking for a way to establish a communication channel between objects without the use of a socket. One way to achieve this is by using PipedOutputStreams and PipedInputStreams.

PipedOutputStreams and PipedInputStreams can be connected to each other to form a pipe, which allows data to be passed between them. In your case, you can have each object create a PipedOutputStream and connect it to a PipedInputStream of its neighbor. This way, the objects can communicate with each other through the pipe without having any prior knowledge of their connections.

Here's an example of how you can use PipedOutputStreams and PipedInputStreams:

// Creating the pipes
PipedOutputStream out = new PipedOutputStream();
PipedInputStream in = new PipedInputStream();

// Connecting the pipes
out.connect(in);

// Passing data through the pipe
out.write("Hello neighbor!".getBytes());

// Reading data from the pipe
byte[] data = new byte[100];
in.read(data);
System.out.println(new String(data));

You can also use PipedOutputStreams and PipedInputStreams in a more object-oriented way by creating classes that extend from them and handle the communication between objects.

I hope this helps you achieve your desired abstraction and communication between objects. Happy coding!

I would recommend using PipedOutputStreams and PipedInputStreams to connect the ObjectOutputStream and ObjectInputStream without a socket in between. This will allow for a more abstract and streamlined approach to connecting the objects without the need for direct references to each other. Additionally, this method will provide a more efficient way to transfer data between the objects. However, it is important to consider the potential limitations and drawbacks of using this method, such as potential performance issues with large amounts of data being transferred. It may also be beneficial to explore other alternatives and compare their effectiveness in achieving your goal.

What is the purpose of hooking up an ObjectOutputStream to an ObjectInputStream?

The purpose of hooking up an ObjectOutputStream to an ObjectInputStream is to allow for the transfer of objects between two different systems or processes. This is commonly used in client-server communication or in file transfer applications.

How does the process of hooking up an ObjectOutputStream to an ObjectInputStream work?

The process involves creating an ObjectOutputStream on one end, which converts the objects into a stream of bytes, and an ObjectInputStream on the other end, which converts the bytes back into objects. These two streams are then connected, allowing for the transfer of objects.

What are the benefits of using ObjectOutputStream and ObjectInputStream?

One of the main benefits is that these classes handle the serialization and deserialization of objects, making it easier to transfer complex data structures. They also provide efficient and secure communication between two systems.

What happens if the ObjectOutputStream and ObjectInputStream are not properly connected?

If the streams are not properly connected, the transfer of objects will fail. This could result in errors or corrupted data being sent or received. It is important to ensure that the streams are properly connected before attempting to transfer objects.

Are there any alternatives to using ObjectOutputStream and ObjectInputStream?

Yes, there are other ways to transfer objects such as using JSON or XML formats. However, these methods may not be as efficient or secure as using ObjectOutputStream and ObjectInputStream. It is also possible to create custom serialization methods, but this requires more coding and may not be as standardized as using the built-in Java classes.