What is a Particle? Understanding the Concept

In summary: A photon has zero size, so it doesn't really fit this definition.Ok, this is a definition that contains a lot of truth. But, don't you think we should be defining this "minimum region" ? I mean, let's take the photon as... an example. A photon has zero size, so it doesn't really fit this definition.
Farsight
Marlon: I'm having a bit of a crisis about particles. Can you tell me, what is your concept of a particle?

Physics news on Phys.org
Farsight said:
Marlon: I'm having a bit of a crisis about particles. Can you tell me, what is your concept of a particle?
Hi Farsight,

Please, to post your questions, don't use this thread. Just create a new thread in the nuclei and particles subforum. As for your question, what do you mean by "concept of a particle" ?

regards
marlon

a particle is evidently a distortion in space-time which basically implies that it may or may not have mass.however it must "exist" classically by affecting its field co ordinates.also it must in itself not exceed an atomic radius.conceptually even a beta particle is a particle whereas classically it is an electron.eventually the matter(as in discussed subject) justifies self answering.

Farsight said:
A particle is a body having finite mass and internal structure but negligible dimensions.

Reshma said:
A particle is a body having finite mass and internal structure but negligible dimensions.
As of today, that definition rules out the leptons and quarks (and Force-carrying bosons?) from being particles.

Reshma said:
That's a bit of a strange definition, no ? I mean i don't get the "internal structure" part. Does an electron have an internal structure ? If so, then what are elementary particles ?

I my opinion not particles but quantumfields are the most basic constituent of matter. Particles arise when such fields start to fluctuate. It is the energydifference dE associated with the transition from one field configuration to another that mimics a physical enetity with mass m and momentum p. This entity is what we call a particle. Keep in mind that both mass and momentum are concepts that come from classical physics. We just use them to describe the quantummechanical fenomena as well because such concepts are easy to grasp. For the same reason, the particle/wave duality does not imply that there are TWO ways in which nature can behave. This duality arises because we like to look at QM with "classical eyes"...

marlon

Last edited:
marlon said:
That's a bit of a strange definition, no ? I mean i don't get the "internal structure" part. Does an electron have an internal structure ? If so, then what are elementary particles ?

I my opinion not particles but quantumfields are the most basic constituent of matter. Particles arise when such fields start to fluctuate. It is the energydifference dE associated with the transition from one field configuration to another that mimics a physical enetity with mass m and momentum p. This entity is what we call a particle. Keep in mind that both mass and momentum are concepts that come from classical physics. We just use them to describe the quantummechanical fenomena as well because such concepts are easy to grasp. For the same reason, the particle/wave duality does not imply that there are TWO ways in which nature can behave. This duality arises because we like to look at QM with "classical eyes"...

marlon
Sorry, I was just going by the definition of a "particle" and missed the keyword "elementary" :biggrin:. An elementary particle or fundamental particle would be a particle not known to have substructure.

Anyways, your quantum mechanical explanation takes care of any defintion of a particle. Since, we generally associate particles with matter, QM also takes in account of photons as particles.

Reshma said:
Sorry, I was just going by the definition of a "particle" and missed the keyword "elementary" :biggrin:. An elementary particle or fundamental particle would be a particle not known to have substructure.

But than the proton was not a particle prior to the detection of quarks (well partons to be exact but you get the point, right :)).

For this reason, I would not use the internal structure as a criterium.
Anyways, your quantum mechanical explanation takes care of any defintion of a particle. Since, we generally associate paticles with matter, QM also takes in account of photons as particles.
Well, the explanation i gave is not just the QM version, it's the quantum field's version (QFT).

Also, when talking about particles we refer to both matter and force carriers. Some force carriers do have mass (eg :W boson)

marlon

According to text by D. Bohm, 1951, Quantum Theory, page 24--a particle = an object that can always be localized within a certain minimum region, which we call its size.

Rade said:
According to text by D. Bohm, 1951, Quantum Theory, page 24--a particle = an object that can always be localized within a certain minimum region, which we call its size.
Ok, this is a definition that contains a lot of truth. But, don't you think we should be defining this "minimum region" ? I mean, let's take the photon as an example. A photon is not defined as a particle with finite spatial boundaries. The finite boundaries are defined in energy space. Photons are just chuncks of energy. What do you think ?

Regards

marlon

marlon said:
Ok, this is a definition that contains a lot of truth. But, don't you think we should be defining this "minimum region" ? I mean, let's take the photon as an example. A photon is not defined as a particle with finite spatial boundaries. The finite boundaries are defined in energy space. Photons are just chuncks of energy. What do you think ?
Again, I refer to D. Bohm, p. 31, where he refers to photons as "equivalent particles" having energy = hv. I would think the issue of finite spatial boundary of a photon (or electron) results from the limitation on localizability that is inherent in the wave-particle nature of matter, but I may be incorrect.

Sorry, I didn't see this thread.

"In my opinion not particles but quantumfields are the most basic constituent of matter. Particles arise when such fields start to fluctuate. It is the energydifference dE associated with the transition from one field configuration to another that mimics a physical entity..."

Thanks for that Marlon. Sounds good to me. I presume the "chunks of energy" is just loose talk, a figure of speech?

Hey Rade, I wonder what D. Bohm would have thought of a photon that was a mile long?

http://www.lwca.org/

Last edited:

What is a particle?

A particle is a tiny piece of matter that makes up everything in the universe. It can be as small as an atom or as large as a planet, and it can be made up of smaller particles like protons, neutrons, and electrons.

How do particles behave?

Particles behave in different ways depending on their size and properties. Some particles, like electrons, can act as both particles and waves. They can also interact with each other through forces like gravity and electromagnetism.

What are the different types of particles?

There are four main types of particles in the standard model of particle physics: quarks, leptons, bosons, and fermions. These particles have different properties and are responsible for different interactions in the universe.

How are particles studied and observed?

Particles are studied and observed using large machines called particle accelerators, which accelerate particles to high speeds and collide them together. Scientists also use detectors to analyze the particles produced in these collisions and gather data about their properties.

Why is understanding particles important?

Understanding particles is important because it helps us understand the fundamental building blocks of the universe and how they interact with each other. This knowledge can lead to advancements in technology, medicine, and our understanding of the world around us.