Billy the kid and the kinetic energy

In summary, the question is asking about the energy of deformation during the penetration of the bullet into the apple, where the bullet has a mass of 10 grams and a velocity of 300 m/s before impact. Due to the collision, the bullet's kinetic energy decreases to 1/4 of its original value. Using conservation of momentum, the final velocity of the apple can be calculated to be 7.5 m/s. The energy of deformation is equal to the difference between the initial kinetic energy of the bullet and the final total kinetic energy of the bullet and apple after the collision.
fara0815
Hello there!
Once again, I really need some help with a physics problem I have not been able to figure out. Unfortunately, I do not even have a clue how to solve this one and have spent quite a lot time on it. Here is the question:

Billy the Kid is throwing an apple with mass 200 grams vertical into the air. He is shooting with his gun at it and the bullett is hitting the apple at the apple's highest point of its throw. The bullet has a mass of 10 grams and its velocity right before the impact is 300 m/s.
Due to the full penetration, the bullet's kinetic energy decreases to only 1/4 of its original value.
How great is the energy of deformation during the penetration ?

Apparently, my trys ended unsuccessfully and I never got the result of 331,875 J

I am not expecting a whole solution, a hint would be great! I really want to figure that out and would be very happy about every help I can get!

Physics news on Phys.org
fara0815 said:
Hello there!
Once again, I really need some help with a physics problem I have not been able to figure out. Unfortunately, I do not even have a clue how to solve this one and have spent quite a lot time on it. Here is the question:

Billy the Kid is throwing an apple with mass 200 grams vertical into the air. He is shooting with his gun at it and the bullett is hitting the apple at the apple's highest point of its throw. The bullet has a mass of 10 grams and its velocity right before the impact is 300 m/s.
Due to the full penetration, the bullet's kinetic energy decreases to only 1/4 of its original value.
How great is the energy of deformation during the penetration ?

Apparently, my trys ended unsuccessfully and I never got the result of 331,875 J

I am not expecting a whole solution, a hint would be great! I really want to figure that out and would be very happy about every help I can get!
I think you are supposed to assume that the bullet does not remove any of the apple mass - it just deforms it (not realistic).

What is the energy of the system (bullet and apple) before and after the impact? The rest of the energy is lost in the process of penetration.

Hint: you have to use conservation of momentum

AM

Thank you for your fast reply!
I have tried conversation of momentum and conversation of energy but it does not make any sense to me. There is a hint that belongs to this problem:
The decrement of the bullet's kinetic energy is not the energy of deformation.

Here is what I tried:

[tex] \Delta E_{kin} = \frac{1}{2}mv^2_{before} - \frac{1}{2}mv_{after}^2 [/tex]

this one did not bring the answer either:

[tex] m_b * V_b + m_a * V_a = m_b * V_b + m_a * V_a [/tex]

I assume that the apple's velocity is zero since it is at its highest point of the throw.

Last edited:
The bullet has a certain amount of Kinetic Energy before it hits the apple. And afterwards it has a quarter of this, so three quarters were expended in the collision.

That doesn't work out as 331,875 Joules, or anywhere near. Note that 10g is is 0.01Kg

If the bullet retained a quarter of its Kinetic Energy, and the latter is related to velocity squared, it means the bullet is now traveling at half its former velocity. And it didn't have the energy to propel a 200g apple up to 150ms. Its ounds like the bullet goes straight straight through, which suggests that the mass of the apple is a spurious number.

Hmmn. Apologies if I've missed something obvious, but I don't think I can help.

fara0815 said:
I have tried conversation of momentum and conversation of energy but it does not make any sense to me.
As AM suggested, apply conservation of momentum.
There is a hint that belongs to this problem:
The decrement of the bullet's kinetic energy is not the energy of deformation.
Right: Some of the bullet's KE becomes the apple's KE.

Here is what I tried:

[tex] \Delta E_{kin} = \frac{1}{2}mv^2_{before} - \frac{1}{2}mv_{after}^2 [/tex]
This will certainly be useful to find the final speed of the bullet.

this one did not bring the answer either:

[tex] m_b * V_b + m_a * V_a = m_b * V_b + m_a * V_a [/tex]
You'd better distinguish initial and final velocities!

I assume that the apple's velocity is zero since it is at its highest point of the throw.
Right, the apple's initial velocity is zero.

mh,
if the bullet's final velocity is 150 m/s ( [tex] V_{b final} [/tex] )
and I use this in the conversation of momentum
[tex] m_bV_{b intial}= m_{apple}V_{apple} + m_bV_{b final} [/tex]
I would get the apple's velocity with
[tex]V_{apple}= \frac{m_bV_{b intial}-m_bV_{b final}}{m_{apple}}= 7.5 m/s [/tex]

Is that right? If so, how can I get to the energy of deformation? It is not the apple's kinetic energy, which is [tex] E_{kin apple}= \frac{1}{2}m_{apple}V_{apple}^2 [/tex], is it? If so, the KE would be 5,625 J and that does not bring me to the answer :(

Last edited:
fara0815 said:
if the bullet's final velocity is 150 m/s ( [tex] V_{b final} [/tex] )
and I use this in the conversation of momentum
[tex] m_bV_{b intial}= m_{apple}V_{apple} + m_bV_{b final} [/tex]
I would get the apple's velocity with
[tex]V_{apple}= \frac{m_bV_{b intial}-m_bV_{b final}}{m_{apple}}= 7.5 m/s [/tex]

Is that right?
Looks good.

If so, how can I get to the energy of deformation? It is not the apple's kinetic energy, which is [tex] E_{kin apple}= \frac{1}{2}m_{apple}V_{apple}^2 [/tex], is it?
Nope.

The bullet starts out with a given amount of KE. After blasting through that apple, both apple and bullet have some final total KE. (Figure that out.) That final KE will be less than the original; the difference is the deformation energy.

Great! I got it!
It is
[tex] E_{kin.bullet.initial}=E_{kin.apple}+E_{kin.bullet.final}+E_{kin.deformation}
[/tex]
With that I get
[tex] E_{kin.deformation}=E_{kin.bullet.initial}-E_{kin.bullet.final}-E_{kin-apple}[/tex]

Thank you very much for leading me there, I really appreciate it !

Last edited:

1. Who was Billy the Kid?

Billy the Kid, also known as William H. Bonney, was a notorious American outlaw who lived in the late 1800s. He was involved in several criminal activities, including robbery and murder, and became a legend of the Old West.

2. What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. It is calculated by multiplying the object's mass by the square of its velocity and dividing by 2 (KE = 1/2 * m * v^2). It is a form of mechanical energy and is measured in joules.

3. How is kinetic energy related to Billy the Kid?

Billy the Kid is often associated with the concept of kinetic energy due to his quick and agile movements as an outlaw. His ability to move swiftly and evade capture can be seen as an example of kinetic energy in action.

4. Can kinetic energy be transferred?

Yes, kinetic energy can be transferred from one object to another through collisions or other forms of contact. For example, when a billiard ball hits another billiard ball, the first ball's kinetic energy is transferred to the second ball, causing it to move.

5. How is kinetic energy important in everyday life?

Kinetic energy is important in everyday life as it is the basis for many forms of energy used to power our modern world. For example, the kinetic energy of wind is harnessed to produce electricity through wind turbines, and the kinetic energy of water is used to generate hydroelectric power.