Register to reply

Spivak calculus on manifolds solutions? (someone asked this b4 and got ignored)

by precondition
Tags: asked, calculus, manifolds, solutions, spivak
Share this thread:
precondition
Sep26-06, 04:22 PM
P: 57
Does anyone know if there's worked out solution to the problems in spivak's calculus on manifolds? It's awfully easy to get stuck in the problems and for some of them I don't even know where to start...
Also, if there isn't any, any good problem and 'SOLUTION' source for analysis on manifolds in general?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Security CTO to detail Android Fake ID flaw at Black Hat
Huge waves measured for first time in Arctic Ocean
Mysterious molecules in space
mruncleramos
Oct2-06, 12:29 AM
P: 49
I've come to realize over time that it is better not to have a solutions manual.
Daverz
Oct2-06, 02:38 AM
P: 893
How did you come to that realization?

When you get totally stuck, it's better IMO to have a solution you can learn from than to just forget about it. Also, the solution might better than or just different from your own, and you can learn from that also.

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Oct5-06, 06:46 AM
P: 406
Spivak calculus on manifolds solutions? (someone asked this b4 and got ignored)

Solution manuals are worthwhile because more often that not, the question wasn't asked properly.
Doodle Bob
Oct6-06, 03:44 AM
P: 255
Quote Quote by ObsessiveMathsFreak
Solution manuals are worthwhile because more often that not, the question wasn't asked properly.
A rather interesting and untestable generalization. I would say that Spivak's book certainly does not fall under this category, since several generations of future mathematicians have been taught from it already.

I too know of no solution manual for it. I would say though that, unless you are Ramanujan, it is rather difficult to learn this level of mathematics on your own. The ideal situation is to take a course in it. Nothing beats having an actual instructor to discuss these things with and have different perspectives of it shown to you. If that's not possible, then the next best situation is to form a study group. This is a very challenging book for many people and it really helps to learn it with other people.
mathwonk
Oct7-06, 10:35 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 9,453
anyone at the level of spivaks book is harmed more than helped by a solutions manual. i.e. if you need a solutions manual, you aren't getting spivak.

so the most useful answer is to advise the asker to go back to work trying to grasp the subject and work the problems himself.

this was essentially mruncleamos's answer.

a beginning grad student should be able to read this book and do most of these problems.
dmuthuk
Oct31-06, 11:07 PM
P: 41
I am doing an undergraduate analysis course that uses this textbook. I found this link from some University of Kentucky course website:

http://www.ms.uky.edu/~ken/ma570/

There are complete solutions (I think) to all of Spivak's book here, but I personally wouldn't have tackled the problems the way its often done here, at least in chapter 1 and chapter 2 which I have had the chance to look at so far.

Register to reply