Struggling with end chapter problems (Spivak)

• Studying
  • Thread starter Z90E532
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Spivak
In summary: If you're struggling with problems, that's a good sign that you need to focus on the details of the arguments. Try to get a good understanding of each section and the relationships between them before moving on.
Z90E532
I'm a physics student trying to get a more in-depth understanding of math. A few weeks ago, I started studying from two textbooks, Spivak's Calculus on Manifolds and Hubbard's Vector Calculus, Linear Algebra, and Differential Forms. So far, the stuff from Hubbard's text is pretty straight forward. The problems are, for the most part, fairly easy, and even if I come across a difficult one, it's at least something I can take a stab at. On the other hand, I'm having a much different experience with Spivak. I read the text and understand the proofs, but when it comes to actually solving the problems, I struggle. I'm happy if I can work 30% of them. It makes me feel pretty dumb, I won't lie. At this point, I may very well give up on the end of chapter problems and just use it as a supplement to Hubbard.

I've never really sat down and studied analysis from a text like Rudin; my only experience with the subject comes from Spivak's Calculus, which I went through maybe 50% of. Is it unreasonable to tackle a text like Calculus on Manifolds without being well practiced at analysis problems? Maybe if I just try and hammer out problems, it'll eventually start making sense? It doesn't help that Spivak doesn't include many problems to begin with.

Physics news on Phys.org
There may be two things going on. First, if you're having problem with chapter 1 problems, then you're not really prepared for the book. Most of those problems are rather standard. Secondly, you cannot read a book like Calculus on Manifolds on your own and expect to make quick progress. You need to dissect every single proof and appreciate the subtleness of the arguments. This is true for most analysis books. The thing is, it won't start to make sense as you read on. You need to get a good grasp of each section because each subsequent section will depend completely on the previous one. If the finer points of compactness alludes you, then it'll only get worse.

My advice: Get a better understanding of Analysis with a simpler book before you attempt to study a book like this. There do exist books with more intuitive explanation. Gain that intuition first, then focus on the details.

the tell tale remark to me is that you only read 50% of the more elementary calculus/analysis book by spivak. why would you expect to jump successfully into modern advanced calc when you apparently don't know beginning rigorous calc thoroughly? and there are a lot of problems in that more elementary book to work on. and you don't say whether you also have the linear algebra prerequisite spivak mentions in his preface.

Last edited:
Well, when I say 50%, I mean I went over the parts that I thought were important. I don't feel like finding the book again, but I did the chapters on limits, continuity, differentiability, integration etc. I've studied linear algebra, so that's not really a problem. I could definitely use some brushing up, but I'm fairly comfortable with it.

So what do you recommend doing? What sort of analysis text should I be looking for?

Last edited:
Z90E532 said:
Well, when I say 50%, I mean I went over the parts that I thought were important. I don't feel like finding the book again, but I did the chapters on limits, continuity, differentiability, integration etc. I've studied linear algebra, so that's not really a problem. I could definitely use some brushing up, but I'm fairly comfortable with it.

So what do you recommend doing? What sort of analysis text should I be looking for?

Work through SPivak doing all the exercises.

1. What is "Struggling with end chapter problems (Spivak)"?

"Struggling with end chapter problems (Spivak)" is a commonly used phrase in the mathematics community that refers to difficulties encountered when attempting to solve the challenging end-of-chapter problems found in Michael Spivak's book "Calculus". These problems are known for being particularly rigorous and require a deep understanding of calculus concepts and techniques.

2. Why are the end-of-chapter problems in "Calculus" by Michael Spivak so challenging?

The end-of-chapter problems in "Calculus" by Michael Spivak are known for being challenging because they require a high level of mathematical proficiency and problem-solving skills. Spivak's book is often used as a reference for advanced calculus courses and the problems are designed to push students to think critically and deeply about the subject matter.

3. How can I improve my ability to solve end-of-chapter problems in "Calculus" by Michael Spivak?

Improving your ability to solve end-of-chapter problems in "Calculus" by Michael Spivak requires a strong foundation in calculus concepts and techniques. It is important to thoroughly understand the material in each chapter before attempting the end-of-chapter problems. Additionally, practicing regularly and seeking help from peers or a tutor can also greatly improve your problem-solving skills.

4. Is it necessary to solve all the end-of-chapter problems in "Calculus" by Michael Spivak?

No, it is not necessary to solve all the end-of-chapter problems in "Calculus" by Michael Spivak. However, it is highly recommended as these problems serve as valuable practice and reinforcement of the concepts learned in each chapter. They also prepare students for exams and further mathematical studies.

5. What resources are available for help with "Struggling with end chapter problems (Spivak)"?

There are several resources available for help with "Struggling with end chapter problems (Spivak)". These include study groups, online forums, and tutoring services. Additionally, some universities may have resources such as tutoring centers or study groups specifically for students using Spivak's book. It is also helpful to consult with your professor or teaching assistants for guidance and clarification on difficult problems.